Price for durolast roof

Paid $35K+ 6000 sq ft flat durolast roof. 5000 out of that 6000 a total tearout on the difficult side (3 layers + layer rotted wood) with 90% deck sheathing replaced. Few joists sistered here and there too. 12 rooftop AC units and 10 stacks flashed. New 570 ft. edge all around. 2 layers of 1 1/2 ISOboard substrate over deck below membrane. Workmanship was maybe fair ranging to piss poor especially in the woodwork and ponds galore. Contractor tried doing job without pulling a permit.

I do not undertand the point of this post. Please let us know what you are trying to accomplish. Thanks

And of course there’s the usual from us:

PHOTOS, please.

point of post: did I pay too much, too little, about right? Poor workwanship is another.

While 35K does seem expensive for a 60 square roof,you have to factor in the tear off, framing/sheathing repairs, and debris removal.After accounting for all that this project doesn’t seem that far out of line for a DL roof system.
The workmanship, and quality issues are something else completely.
All commercial DL jobs are inspected and graded by a Duro-Last inspector.Ask to be present at the inspection and talk to your local inspector about this project, pointing out your areas of concern.Ponding is not really an issue with this system because it’s a waterPROOF system, too much ponding ( ponds 6" or deeper) may be a structural concern though.
Your local inspector will be your best source for determining the quality of the installation.

the ponds are about 1 inch mostly with some 1 1/4 - 1 1/2.

Durolast is warranted in any ponding situation so the issue then becomes: can the structure handle the weight.
What will an 1 inch pond become after a heavy Michigan snow? will it get worse 5 years from now?

durolast sucks!!!

Snow would remain on your roof even if there were no ponding water conditions and your roof.

Did the contract state that they were going to add tapered insulation to alleviate any potential ponding conditions?

Did you request that this be attended to during your contract negotiations?

Did the Duro-Last Quality Control inspector pass or fail the roofing installation?

Unless you provide specific amounts and quantities of the additional work required, a relevant answer can not be made, but extra work always jacks up the total amount of the contract. Did you authorize for the additional work to be done and for the charge per hour or per unit cost?

Ed

Snow would remain on your roof even if there were no ponding water conditions and your roof.

thats true but the ice seems alot heavier. I also wonder if 1 inch of water becomes 3+ inches of ice in the winter.

Did the contract state that they were going to add tapered insulation to alleviate any potential ponding conditions?

nope, nothing in contract like that. original contract was for a cover-over job. The tear-off suprised the contractor, …supposedly

Did you request that this be attended to during your contract negotiations?

I did ask about what a tapered system would cost but the contractor kept saying how expensive it is and didnt give me the full lowdown until too late. He acted like he didnt want to do a tapered system even if directly requested. I think his reluctance is due to the wavy deck structure which required carpentry skills this crew didnt have,

Did the Duro-Last Quality Control inspector pass or fail the roofing installation?

hasnt showed up yet, i get the impression, so far, that ponding water never disqualifies the durolast factory inspection

Unless you provide specific amounts and quantities of the additional work required, a relevant answer can not be made, but extra work always jacks up the total amount of the contract. Did you authorize for the additional work to be done and for the charge per hour or per unit cost?

extra work (the tearoff) was authorized but the old slope system was removed without any discussion as to replacing it or not. When the joist structure was exposed, a good roofer should try to correct for, flatten, and avoid putting down a wavy deck. Putting in tapered insulation requires a flat deck to start too.

It seems like a carpenter makes a way better roofer
than a roofer makes a carpenter.

AS for the price and scope of work, that seems on the cheap side, I would think somwwheres in the $6.50-$6.75 a sq ft would be more in the range. As for the comment about poor workmanship, purchasing a Durolast roof is already setting yourself up for problems and add into it poor workmanship??? Good Luck, but you did get a cheap price for it.

first off i never met a carpenter who could roof worth a shit. second your problem (from the pics)is not the roof system.its a structural problem with your bldg.why is it always the roofing contractor who has to be the solution to a bad build job.third anyone and i mean anyone can become an authorized durolast installer.we use durolast to keep the shop floors oil free under the leaky equiptment.it sucks,and there quality control procedures suck.

I do think a roofer ought to be able to flatten a wavy deck - this may require joist sistering or some kind of cricket. A roofer that cant/won’t do decking/joist work should more properly be called an’applicator.’

The durolast applicator on my roof removed an old lightcrete cricket (to give some pitch) without even realizing what is was. Nothing said about adding a new pitch system.

A tore-off roof where the structure is exposed is a unique situation when it comes to fixing things like say sistering a joist. Fixing from below/inside the room is usually more difficult. Since it will be a long time before the roof is in an exposed state, all necessary repairs ought to be made.

If a roofer cant or doesnt want to do these type of repairs, he should say it up front and pass to a carpenter.

I don’t think being a “roofer” is a requirement to install Dura Last. Which is true of most Mfg’ers. btw
I could be wrong, but I believe this is more about moving product than satisfying customers.

well all you can do now is grab some popcorn and wait for leaks.

gweedo

dont forget the buckets too!!!