Preferred air nailer

Just looked into air nailers and what I see up here are Bostich and Hitachi.

Have six or seven Senco staplers in the shop and they all work great for 25 years a drop of oil from time to time, one was used and must be 30-40 years old.

Is the Senco any better than the others or does one have features another does not have??

Thanks,

Warren

Hitachi is a better gun. Staples are not a warranty friendly installation method.

Hi,

He did not say he was going to use staples. He asked about nailers.

Hi,

I used Senco’s for years. They were a good gun. Very little down time. Then they changed the model. When they did this, they stopped making parts for the old gun. This made them worthless.

They lost me for a customer forever. You never no if they will do that agian. I have to many guns, to one day not be able to get parts.

I use Bostich. They are a good gun little down time.

yes was just making a comparison or asking for one. I can voutch for the ones I have used all these years and since I bought one that was over 20 years old and it is still perfect, well got my money worth on all.

You can buy all this porter cable stuff and whatever but it is made in China stuff and when I think I have 25 years on these guns I just want to get a good one.

I know you guys dont like me cause I want to do my own roof, actually am doing my moms again and my homes. I just have this need to do stuff, work is dry right now and rather than search for it I want to do something different for a bit. Sort of a vacation if that makes sense. Of course when I am done and hunched over then you can say I told you so.

Thanks so is Hatachis still the beast, do any of you use Senco or is it no popular there, same features on all??

Thanks,

Warren

yes was just making a comparison or asking for one. I can voutch for the ones I have used all these years and since I bought one that was over 20 years old and it is still perfect, well got my money worth on all.

You can buy all this porter cable stuff and whatever but it is made in China stuff and when I think I have 25 years on these guns I just want to get a good one.

I know you guys dont like me cause I want to do my own roof, actually am doing my moms again and my homes. I just have this need to do stuff, work is dry right now and rather than search for it I want to do something different for a bit. Sort of a vacation if that makes sense. Of course when I am done and hunched over then you can say I told you so.

Thanks so is Hatachis still the beast, do any of you use Senco or is it no popular there, same features on all??

Thanks,

Warren

I have always used Hiatachis, but I was ready for another new gun, so I purchased a Rigid. I have used it for 4 jobs now and I am very happy with it. I usually strip my guns down to just the bare essentials to make them lighter and easier to use. I haven’t done it yet to the Rigid, it is already pretty light.

The thing that I do like about the Rigid also is they put bumpers on all the edges that my Hiatachi guns wear through. I think its a great idea. We’ll see how long it lasts. A gun usually lasts about 2 years for me.

I have a Hitachi coil nailer, Hitachi cordless set, Hitachi screw gun and a green and black Leister to match everything. I also have a senco construction stapler (Smaller crown size. Not a roofing stapler. This is for wood shakes). The Hitachi coil nailer kicks ass but I would love a lighter Hitachi or something that is just as trouble free. Been using it at least once a week for the last 1.5 yrs and I seriously think I had only 1 nail jam. Nice compared to the old craftsman I had. My next gun will be the Ridgid with lightweight magnesium parts. These seem almost half as light as the others. They shoot fast too. My next cordless set will also be Ridgid Lithium-Ion 24V unless something even more impressive comes out. The batteries go out too quickly on the Hitachi cordless stuff and when the batteries are hot you can’t recharge them until they cool down. What the hell is that crap all about? Oh yeah… nail guns. Get a Hitachi and you won’t be sorry.

HItachi is a great gun. I just bought a few Rigid tools and the great thing about them is the lifetime warranty which is awesome. I haven’t had a single problem one of my nailers was dropped off the roof and it still fires like a champ. Now I am sure someone is going to talk smack about rigid but I like the gun it has done me right and I have a lifetime warranty on it also.

I have to say that for field installation i prefer the funnel tip senco it drives every nail straight … and i have seen the other competitor guns that leave the head on an angle … not good… specially with a 3-tab roof it must all be flat for the strips to seal or you get blow off’s or your roof looks just plain ugly.

here click on the picture to see a recommendation by someone else .

( dam i didnt knew i could hyperlink pictures… cool !! :mrgreen:

%between%http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4159/hmgdtoolspneumaticnailerscoilsencoscn40rstraightdrivecx8.jpg

On the other hand maximum nail lenght is 1 1/2 and i have found that for a ridge 1 3/4 nail there is nothing like the slamming pressure of a ridge runner Bostich gun… while this guns blow thru and nail crooked on the filed … they are wonderfull on the ridge… if you have this two guns youre set …

Busy with other stuff and have a pro coming over shortly to quote me on this stuff. Most called do not even return calls.

Did some checking and one of my small tool suppliers just sells milwaukee now. I dont like the Taiwan idea but he says five year warranty and some feature where you can just blip it odwn and it fires without having to pull the trigger.

IN the past in one shop where I worked we had alot of Milwaukee tools and have to say they were excellent at least the ones we had.

Thanks for all the info it is appreciated, dont understand why the one Senco drives straighter but was going to call them to get some pricing so will ask.

Warren

senco coil gun has a funnel type mechanism in the tip that sets the nail straight down before actually punching it… unlike the rest that have only the cilinder where the nail goes down about 1-2 inches before hiting the shingle giving it plenty of travel to go to a side … resulting in numerous sideway nail heads

thank you I checked the supplier has one model of two avaiable., taiwan from Senco guess everyone is there said it has the blip feature for automatic so you dno’t have to pull the trigger.

Do yoiu know if that is on the funnel one as well, you know I did watch a roof get done by a guy a while back and the hammer had to come out a bit but I just thought he had held the gun at an angle rather than something to do with the gun

Warren

this senco model has the feature as most do that you hold the trigger down and it just shoots on safety tip press like a machine gun … also pressure gauge and all thats pretty much standar for all coils …

i bought once when i started a craftsman coil gun… didnt even nailed one full bundle and it kept jamming … took it back they didnt refund my money … i told sears manager to go jump a bridge and last time i bought guns from them…

well after 5 or 6 calls to different roof guys one just showed up from a recommendation from my insurance agent. Not one of the others even returned calls even after weeks later

He called back after five minutes and even showed up here two hours after the call. He said anyway you want to work this is fine inclduing working with me and one other guy so that satisfies me. I just have this need and do it with all things.

He said he would use IKO as some have said and that Certainteed that you have mentioned is one of his favorites. Very together guy so I said I will do the facia then we can work together.

We talked about architectural shingles and pitch and why and he mentioned 30 little things that just as I thought there is a ton to your craft, not like all these people tel me it is just simple go to it.

Knew that was bull, when you really care there are tons of littls subtle details. I showed him the lines that are not straight etc and said previous never snapped a chaulk line.

So all in all very happy with that cause i want it to be a very good quality job and I wanted to have my hand in it. Zero chance I could have done what I wanted without years of experience and I can see from talking to him what a shitty job was done before, I saw it and asked him and he verfied it. Will be able to make it crisp.

Thanks,

Warren

Touchy i see he mentioned staplers.

nothing about staplers he has bostich and rigid nailers and different models of those.

I shoiuld have typed would not use IKo, sorry better start to proof read

Warren

Ok did i missed something… we were talking about coil guns and after the last post i made i completely got thrown off topic or maybe is just me ???

I used Senco PW’s for about 7 years my father over 20 years. The last three years have been Hitachi nailed.

A homeowner recently told me that he would like his home stapled and I had to tell him I’ve had better luck in 7 years with staples than in 3 years nailing averaging about 40-60 roofs per year. The new OSB is junk and I’ve had a few roofs with lots of popped nails which never happened when stapeling.

A couple years ago my father went to a blow off call on a roof he shingled with my older brother. They both shingled on the back side my father with a Paslode nailer and my brother with a Bostitch stapler. About two bundles blew off due to higher than 70 mph wind and all the shingles that blew off had been the nailed ones. Figuring half the back was stapled and half was nailed told me something, staples may hold better. To compare quality of installation they pulled random tabs to find out the nailed shingles were installed much more precicely than the stapled shingles, go figure.

Doubt I’ll staple his roof but still an interesting topic. Certainteed says put down the staple guns and use nail guns. A few years ago Elk Prestique had staples shown on the package instructions.

spoke with a distrubutor here today and they say the model you said with the funnel nose is discontinued. Still have some in the States would have to be ordered. If it was such a good thing why is it discontinued or why do they not continue to product it overseas?

Said the current model is 455XP I believe. said it shoots straight have sold 5000 and had no troubles. Sounded like salesman stuff to me at least about it shooting the same.

So seems the builk of these things now are made in Taiwan. The model 40 was a US made gun.

That is interesting what was said about staples, is the strength issue is more to do with the substrate?

Warren