Powered roof tear-off solved

Five horsepower air tool handles multiple layers and adverse conditions. http://strippingiron.com/Air%20Razor.htm

well the link dose not work. and what is the price shipped?

Link’s fixed.

still doesnt work

The base model ships for about $200, and the five horse air system can be had locally

well i just ordered one. we will see how it works when it gets here.

Hi,

They did not show it being used on plywood. These types of rippers usually tear the plywood up.

Let us know how that works on plywood.

I have tried a few versions of a power tear off tool without any luck. A good tear off shovel goes a long way.

Hi Lefty,

The earlier models were hard on the roof deck until they wore in some. The current pattern uses a pre-dull angle, which affords very nice depth control. This enables the tool to ride over ice belt, eave shakes, etc. If you can get up-stroke, you can even salvage the tar paper.

Have you used it on a rip with cedar shakes and two layers of shingles? Those rips are brutal and I would be interested in purchasing one or two if it saved me time and abuse on the body.You say, “The earlier models were hard on the roof deck until they wore in some”. how long has this tool been around? Would like to have feedback from roofers that have actually used this tool.

Howdy Dr Deth,

A good shingle shovel is still a must-have for these tear-offs. Air Razor doesn’t replace them, but rather compliments them

Previous attempts at a power stripper were all based on the shovel, which is why they failed. A four foot shovel handle is plenty of “machine” to pull a nail and it has no cumbersome hoses or pistons.

The difficulty had always been in gripping the nails in order to pull them. Not as noticeable on the easy jobs, but start adding layers and those nails get to clumping and tangling. Add uneven, loose boards, head-breakers and bent-overs, and my much-appreciated Shin-Go was always slowed to a miserable crawl.

Rather than pry, Air Razor drives a nail-evading wedge under the roof shingles with a five horsepower air hammer at 2000 blows per minute. At ten pounds and five horse, it’s a fairly serious machine.

The imperfect nails and deck are much more readily dealt with when they are exposed. Running the shingle shovel under this condition is a more pleasant experience, and much faster.

Greetings tumpline,

Oh yeah, those rips were defiantly brutal with a hand tool. That is what got me started.

Work started on the hand tool about 17 years ago. The power version has been in the field for about 3.

I haven’t had Air Razor in your exact conditions yet, but it has done very well on hard-nailed shake with headbreakers in rough board, double woven three-tab valley, triple cap, triple flashing, etc.

Razor Bar, the hand version did do pretty well on your double three-tab on shake. These shakes were fall-off and on a full set of loose, jumping bent-overs. The “final strawâ€Â

Congratulations wadman1 and happy ripping!

I watched the video and it looks like it does what it promises to do.

Contact me please, with my e-mail in my profile.

I have to leave right now, but can respond tomorrow.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Most questions are answered on the web site http://strippingiron.com/. If you still have questions, you can reach me there.

Nice website, btw.