Plywood or OSB & At What Price?

Which do you prefer to install as sheathing on a residential shingle roof; 1/2" CDX Plywood or 7/16" OSB? Also, what price are plywood and OSB going for in your area of the country. Out here in Portland Oregon OSB is on sale at either Lowes or HomeDepot for $5.67. That is a very good price, only if you had some roofs to do-as the market here is still deadsville.

i saw 7/16 osb at home depot for 8.50 a sheet yesterday

in houston

OSB at Lowes $5

8.65 for 7/16 osb
11.50 for 3/8 plywood

we use plywood only i think osb is fine plywood is just easier to sell that being said …another 10 years plywood is either going to be impossible to get or be priced out of the roofing trade

I will not use OSB at any price difference.

Certain things just should not be compromised, especially when it comes to the structural integrity of the decking.

Ed

Plywood is all i use no matter what price.

I use cdx plywood, osb I do not like the quality.$18 ply and $6 big difference for price but would not be able to sleep installing osb.

to me it doesnt matter.
ive seen both styles last along time.
cdx is better when left out in the rain uncovered.

whatever u use make shure its atleast 1/2" thick.

gweedo.

I don’t know what any one else finds when they pull off the old paper, but I have seen more delaminated,rotten,dry rotted plywood than any damaged O.S.B…
I sell complete re-sheet jobs replacing plywood with O.S.B. all the time.( I sleep like a baby!) If installed PROPERLY(smooth side to attic)O.S.B. should out live any body.
I have had sheets left outside with no cover,and seen what the effects of moisture and sun has on plywood and O.S.B…and I would not use plywood any more.
I had a customer that we re-nailed the sheets,and now they are buckling right off and ripping right through the new nails…I have never seen O.S.B. do such a thing…
When I have a prospect for a full re-sheet job,I send them to Lowes,and tell them to visual shop the sheets,and let me know what the want on their roof (I am buying)and they always choose O.S.B…
I have also Framed over 300 houses in 9 years as a contractor. I have actually had to go back(paid extra) to re-sheet plywood that they could not cover quick enough,and it was popping of all over( I nail all sheets every 6" seams and field)after it had passed inspection…
Sorry to vent like this but I can’t stand to here guys put down a good alternative product…
If it were a perfect world, every one could afford to have 3/4" finished plywood for the roof deck!!!

Almost every roof i’ve torn off that has OSB for decking is useally spunge,OSB was for walls not roofs.IMO

[quote=“jwoolfsroofing”]I don’t know what any one else finds when they pull off the old paper, but I have seen more delaminated,rotten,dry rotted plywood than any damaged O.S.B…
I sell complete re-sheet jobs replacing plywood with O.S.B. all the time.( I sleep like a baby!) If installed PROPERLY(smooth side to attic)O.S.B. should out live any body.
I have had sheets left outside with no cover,and seen what the effects of moisture and sun has on plywood and O.S.B…and I would not use plywood any more.
I had a customer that we re-nailed the sheets,and now they are buckling right off and ripping right through the new nails…I have never seen O.S.B. do such a thing…
When I have a prospect for a full re-sheet job,I send them to Lowes,and tell them to visual shop the sheets,and let me know what the want on their roof (I am buying)and they always choose O.S.B…
I have also Framed over 300 houses in 9 years as a contractor. I have actually had to go back(paid extra) to re-sheet plywood that they could not cover quick enough,and it was popping of all over( I nail all sheets every 6" seams and field)after it had passed inspection…
Sorry to vent like this but I can’t stand to here guys put down a good alternative product…
If it were a perfect world, every one could afford to have 3/4" finished plywood for the roof deck!!![/quote]

I couldn’t agree more.

Thank You OUTLAW…
Usually after I reply ,the strand dies out…lol
I would guess that no one wants to here the truth…and I am not recognized here to be credible,I guess…What ever…

[quote=“jwoolfsroofing”]Thank You OUTLAW…
Usually after I reply ,the strand dies out…lol
I would guess that no one wants to here the truth…and I am not recognized here to be credible,I guess…What ever…[/quote]

I have seen the truth in both cases in the last 29yrs of roofing,when you say you have had sheets left outside and seen the effects,so have i,OSB went to sawdust and plywood was still a sheet,when you you re-nailed the deck,what kind of nails?,did they have a big enough head on them?almost every tear off i’ve done OSB roofs are soft,plywood still solid…that’s what i’ve seen…

my vote goes to the OSB. Plywood causes more problems such as with inadequate ventilation it tends to warp faster. OSB may dissolve quicker under the presence of water but in a properly installed roof this should never happen. Plywood may be a little more solid but its overkill on a roof which bears little wieght mainly when installing.do you understand? A properly installed roof with OSB is at least equal to plywood if not better and for the price savings and the wieght difference , OSB gets my vote.

How does plywood cause inadequate ventalation?how is plywood overkill?whats the weight difference?and how cheap do you want to go on your custermer?Man do you Understand??

ok fellas…based on the past 20 years and advances in material manufacturing…I have 1/2 shett od OSB in the back of my truck…for 18 months now…a little swollen, but still structurally sound. CDX delaminates overnight with humidity, buckles into a big U shape…so …

20 years ago OSB was flake board todays technology…i choose OSB

I agree Marshall…You got what I was saying about the effects of moisture…That is what customers see when they look at plywood and O.S.B. in a pile next to each other.O.S.B. is flat,and plywood is warped and starting to delaminate sitting in the store protected from the elements.
Old Wafer board was good for nothing,it advanced to flake board,now today it is Oriented Strand Board(O.S.B.) There is a newer version that requires no paper,it has a surface that retards water infiltration…I also used Advantek Decking for sub flooring on new home const. at 28.00 per sheet …The new O.S.B. is 15.00 a sheet,but I have found that I prefer O.S.B., and Shingle Mate paper instead…

maybe if you have stock in osb, you can say its
better than plywood. only when it replaces plywood in home depot will it officially be better for the rest
of the world. first of all i dont judge plywood
on what it does just layin there. i judge wood on how it looks and acts after bein under a roof for 20 yrs.
and the ones i have torn off have not faired as well as the plywood decks. decks have to be renailed now in fla when reroofing and when you try to reshoot
partical board the egdes just explode. thats just one example. partical board also will rott faster at a roof leak than plywood. osb plywood works just as good as cdx plywood like i said.
but to say its better than plywood is pushin it a little to far.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]maybe if you have stock in osb, you can say its
better than plywood. only when it replaces plywood in home depot will it officially be better for the rest
of the world. first of all i dont judge plywood
on what it does just layin there. i judge wood on how it looks and acts after bein under a roof for 20 yrs.
and the ones i have torn off have not faired as well as the plywood decks. decks have to be renailed now in fla when reroofing and when you try to reshoot
partical board the egdes just explode. thats just one example. partical board also will rott faster at a roof leak than plywood. osb plywood works just as good as cdx plywood like i said.
but to say its better than plywood is pushin it a little to far.

gweedo.[/quote]

I agree gweedo!