Please help! Think I'm getting screwed!

I recently had a repair job started last week to replace two valleys (20x4) on a 10-13 year old tile roof. Guy seemed honest and knowledgable at time of estimate ($3850) but after removing tiles, I received a call that roof was much worse and he recommended reroofing with Atlas shingles. I got a gut feeling that I may be getting the old bait and switch. Also, I did research on the Atlas shingle and appears to be crap. I asked what I owe him to walk off the job and he gave me a figure of $850!! He said he pulled permits and he pays his roofer $250 a day (he was only there 1/2 day), plus his overhead, blah, blah. What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If he hasn’t done job you owe nothing,get him to finish job and get inspected by proper authoritys,before paying.

Well, we can’t really tell you unless you post pics and more details.

I personally would not touch a repair… just not my thing. Besides, repairs usually are “no warranty” , so if it leaks, you are out of luck. The $3850 should cover 10 squares of asphalt shingle installed… average home is 15-20 sq. so it just seems logical to do a complete re-roof if repair is half the cost…

BTW, there is always the ‘unknown’ factor until you open the roof… this happens…

man, who is the ‘proper authority’? Building inspector? please… my last job, they did not even give me the actual permit to post in the window … apparently it is not needed… but had to get 3 department approval for it - building, zoning and HEALTH… maybe health dept. is the authority to check on the job?..

come on… he (or she) needs to hire a roof consultant. that is the right way to go about it…

would you want to do a 4 grand job and than wait and hope that some bozo will ‘approve’ it? come on man…

I must have misread something.

You hired a guy to fix your expensive tile roof that is only 10-13 yrs old.
His solution is to remove it and put on an asphalt roof?

If this is the case, get rid of him and find somebody who knows how to fix a tile roof.
Asphalt in place of tile isn’t a decent trade at all.

roofing consultant-proper authority,pretty hard to figure out eh?

Those who can, do.
Those who can’t, teach.

Take it any way you like.

my bad… missed the ‘tile roof’ in the original post and was too lazy to look up Atlas… still, should have hired a consultant beforehand … it is money well spent if you don’t want get ripped off

[quote="-Axiom-"]

Those who can, do.
Those who can’t, teach.

Take it any way you like.[/quote]

Axiom, I disagree… may be a roof consultant got seek of ‘shooting nails’ … or age… or injury or whatever… Cerberus is a consultant… :slight_smile: Although i’ve heard an opinion that consultants are sales people that did not succeed in sales … go figure…

Thanks for the quick replys! Wasn’t sure how busy this site was. Basically I don’t trust this guy anymore and want to know what a fair walk off fee would be. Is $850 justified for taking off some tiles and pulling a $67.50 permit?

[quote=“LAMetalRoofs”]

Those who can, do.
Those who can’t, teach.

Take it any way you like.

Axiom, I disagree… may be a roof consultant got seek of ‘shooting nails’ … or age… or injury or whatever… Cerberus is a consultant… :slight_smile: Although i’ve heard an opinion that consultants are sales people that did not succeed in sales … go figure…[/quote]

Like I said, “take it any way you like”.

There are plenty of guys that paid their dues applying the stuff, they know their chit.

On the other hand there are plenty of guys that don’t know anything beyond what is printed in a manual.

If I had a tile roof, and needed it repaired, I would expect my tile roof to be repaired.
If some joker wants to rip off my nice, unique, expensive tile roof and replace it with asphalt, well I would fire him.
I classify this as a “no brainer”.

Maybe it is just me…

I’m tempted to say that he owes you. What condition is the valley in now? Broken tiles, cut underlayment?

Sounds like the original installer was a bozo also.

Pictures?

alot of homeowners refer to shingles as "tiles’

Unfortunately I know more roofers that are clueless than ones that know there chit as you say.
I also know alot of consultants and architects that are just as clueless if not worse.
They talk a good game but when it comes down to it they think they know there chit but its more like full of chit.
I roofed for 11 years then I worked at a consulting firm for 5 and now a manufactures rep going on 10.
I could still roof with the best if I wished to but I don’t.
I learn more every day on the roofs doing this than I ever did just roofing. And if I can make others better roofers by passing on what ive learned over the years I feel its my time is better spent not to mention I get to fish and golf a bit more.

To get an accurate answer you need to provide more information. Is it an open valley or is there valley tile, if an open valley what is the valley material? What is wrong with the valley? 15 yrs is way too young for failure of a tile roof. How high and what pitch is the roof? This matters because of the PIA factor. The whole “walk off the job fee” thing I don’t get at all.
More info please…

Thanks for the replys guys. This site is great. Update info: It is a concrete tile roof with open valleys. I have a lot of leaves that build up and feel that may have contributed to the problem (I know now to keep those valleys clear). Had a new estimate today for $2800 to repair and really like the guy (specializing in tile repair). Spoke with original contractor this morning and he has quickly changed his tune saying $250 will cover his expenses thus far. Hate to pay him anything, but at this point I think I will just to get rid of him.

that sounds just like a company here in florida. they pull apart a tile valley, then tell the homeowner that the whole roof is shot. they send out an estimater to measure the roof and then sit the homeowner down and realy put the screws to them.

you are getting screwed if you pay him anything with job not done!!

If you hired a mechanic to do a brake job on your Caddilac and then he got just a little bit into the job that and then told you that you needed to buy a new Chevy, because he doesn’t know how to fix brakes, How Much Would You Pay Him for the brake job?

Ed

[quote=“ed the roofer”]If you hired a mechanic to do a brake job on your Caddilac and then he got just a little bit into the job that and then told you that you needed to buy a new Chevy, because he doesn’t know how to fix brakes, How Much Would You Pay Him for the brake job?

Ed[/quote]

ROFL, Great analogy.