Please help me decide what to put on this roof

I am trying to figure out what to put on this roof. It is somewhere in between 1/12 and 2/12. Probably around 1.5/12. I am not sure what the grey roofing material is, but it is leaking and I need it replaced. We had a contractor patch it last year, but the patch has already failed. I want to redo the entire grey part of the roof, and possibly the red shingles if that is necessary. You can see the patch in the attached pictures.

torch-on

I was hoping to do this one myself. I have done a couple roofs before, but never anything with this low of a slope. Is there anything that a homeowner could do himself for this roof.

You need to do the shingles also because you gotta remove the lower course to effect your tie-in, so you may as well do it all due to the size. If you are familiar with a torch then torch down a mod bit system. If not the go with a two ply cold process.

Hi,

How do you know the repair failed?

A close up of the flat roof could show a repair may work.

you could put UDL peel&stick,then #30 roofing felt then shingles,I dont know if its code,but it works on my patio roof off my house.

same pitch too

put Liberty Base then Liberty cap on low slope (run it about 16" up the steep slope. Liberty is a 2 part peel & stick system. Then shingle the steep slope. You can get everything you need to do this at home depot.

You can get instructions at GAF.com on how to install the Liberty system. It is the most homeowner friendly system.

Dont touch a torch with out experience or you may burn down the structure, kill youself or both!!

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

How do you know the repair failed?

A close up of the flat roof could show a repair may work.[/quote]

Water leaks into the garage. In the same spot where it did before it was patched. The patch worked for one year.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone. This is a very helpful forum. I think I am going to look into the liberty system. As far as removal of the old materials goes. Does anyone have any idea what I am going to be looking at? Will there be some kind of underlayment underneath the gray stuff, or will it be stuck right to the plywood? If it is stuck to the plywood would I need to replace all the wood in order to use the new system?

Hi,

I would find out why the roof is leaking before I put on a new roof.

The roof you have now does not look bad.

There is not enough bleed out on the torch down. But that does not mean it is leaking there. Does it leak near the peak?

Most leaks are fixed with a new roof. That is because most roofers do not know how to trouble shoot leaks.

I just fixed a roof that had a couple of leaks. Everyone before me said it needed a new roof to the tune of $30,000. I fixed it for $1,600. It will need an additional coating at a cost of $2,500. Total of
$4,100. Saved the guy $25,900.

My guess to is its leaking at the transition.The material probably doen’t go up high enough under the shingles.How old is the roof?Has it been leaking from day one?

I believe you have had three different roofers/companies on that roof and they all were very inexperienced.

You really need a professional to do this for you.
Not the cheaper one either or the second cheapest.

That would be my guess also, or that the shingles leak and the modified bitumen does not extend beneath the felt underlayment. In fact, from here I’d almost bet on the shingles or Mod. Bit. base flashing.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

I would find out why the roof is leaking before I put on a new roof.

The roof you have now does not look bad.

There is not enough bleed out on the torch down. But that does not mean it is leaking there. Does it leak near the peak?

[/quote]

No it doesn’t leak near the peak. It actually leaks near the edge.

[quote=“roof-lover”]I believe you have had three different roofers/companies on that roof and they all were very inexperienced.

You really need a professional to do this for you.
Not the cheaper one either or the second cheapest.[/quote]

Why do you feel this job requires a professional? It seems very simple to do. Just remove the old roof and put shingles and the Liberty down. Am I missing something?

Hi,

If it was so simple, the roof would not be leaking.

The materials on your roof look good. It is most likely installation error.

No, the roof was fine for 15 years. It started leaking about a year ago. We hired a roofer to patch it, and that worked for about a year.

I am really not interested in a patch. I figure that I can redo the entire roof myself for the price of having someone put another patch on. My only concern is how to remove the gray stuff. I am still not sure if it is adhered directly to the plywood, or if there is an underlayment.

the “grey stuff” is modified bitumen or what most roofers call torch down. it should have a asphalt covered base sheet underneath. you should have no problem tearing the roof off. the torch down should be adhered to the base sheet and the base sheet should be nailed down to the plywood decking with metal button caps. just go to the one of the corners of the roof and try to pull it up. if that doesn’t work take a knife preferably with a hook blade and cut out a small section and you shouldn’t have any problems getting it up. good luck!

its got a good alope.
use peal & stick.
search “peal & stick granulated”.

gweedo