Pictures and estimate required for re-inspect?

Hello,

Here in Virginia we had a significant hail storm, and other folks have been getting their roofs replaced as a result. I called a well-known, reputable roofer to come take a look and he said that I have hail damage.

Inspector from SafeCo came out and denied everything except a damaged screen. The contractor was there at the time, but I was at work.

The roofer said to ask for a reinspection. Here’s the response that I got from SafeCo:

Our process is for you to submit your contractors estimate and supporting photos of damage we missed.
Once received the supplement team will review and if warranted a 2nd inspection can be considered.

Is this legit?

I would defer to your certified copy of the insurance policy and ask them to show you where that is listed in the policy. The roofer would likely be pretty knowledgeable about this if he does a lot of insurance work. I’m a lawyer and I assist with these claims in a few states and I’ve never heard of that before

Happy to help if you guys get stuck! You can message me here or email at dan@dantighe.com

This is also requested by other Insurance Companies, get an estimate and reinspection. Maybe get a second opinion from another company or even another rep from the same company. Your best bet is to call a public adjuster if you can come out of pocket a bit. Call and ask for an opinion from a local PA.

This is happening more and more. You can ask your insurance company where that is in their policy but they could also ask you to show them in the policy where you’re obliged to receive a second inspection.

Just find a competent contractor in your area who is experienced with insurance. Have them do an inspection and take a number of good damage photos. Prepare their estimate, attach photos, send to insurance company. It isn’t a big deal. It has worked well for us often. I’ve had 2 recently that got fully approved without evening sending out another Adjuster.

Prepare their estimate, attach photos, send to insurance company. It isn’t a big deal. It has worked well for us often. I’ve had 2 recently that got fully approved without evening sending out another Adjuster.

So if I submit a roofers quote and the insurance company approves it, does that number get “locked in?” I’m concerned that the insurance company will say that they’ll cover a specific cost rather than what’s required to repair the damage.

It is most likely the insurance would send out a second adjuster to reinspect your roof and hopefully, to approve it. The insurance companies know statistically, 99% of the people will take their initial response from the insurance company and abide by it. By asking for a reinspection, you’re showing that you’re a knowledgeable homeowner that won’t just take their answer and accept it. Assuming there is real storm damage, most second inspections get approved, especially if you have a competent contractor working with you.

If they approved your roof after the second inspection, they should issue a revised scope of loss “locking in” what they’re offering to pay. That may require supplementing by your contractor (and it may not).

Thank you all. I appreciate your time. I’ll ask the contractor to submit an estimate with pictures of the damage.

Make sure the pictures he submits are good pictures of actual hail damage… if they suspect mechanical damage or simple wear and tear, they’ll reject it outright.