Pavers on flat roof patio

I revised this to take it a different direction, I have been researching on the web and found many designs of pavers and leveling systems. I know you need to hold the pavers around the perimeter, please list any ways that you have used to do so. I found a system from firestone but i’m not sure how you can use this and water flows underneath the pavers off the roof yet.

You may want to look at GAF Plaza Deck systems on there web site, it may be of some use as well.

As far as water is concerned, i thing you need a roof drain or scupper.

Your question is confusing actually. What do you mean by “holding pavers around the perimeter”?
Actually a pic or two will be very helpful to understand your situation.
My roof sale rep. is also selling some kind of pavers, and knows more about them than i do. So if you get pics up and clarify your question, i’ll be able to ask him tomorrow about it.

Good luck

Depending on what type of paver you use, you may or may not have to secure it along the perimeter. It also will depend on your building height, ground roughness, location, etc. Chances are, you are doing this on a house that is not on the top of a mountain or along the beach, and I doubt your house is 10 stories tall, so I doubt you will have to secure the pavers assuming you are talking about using 2’x 2’x 2" concrete pavers.

With regard to drainage, you can install the pavers on pedestals and that will allow water to flow freely beneath the pavers. Warning!! This is a pain in the ass to do if you haven’t done it before; especially if it is a large area with an uneven surface. If it is a relatively small area you could probably use some kind of drainage board (see Mirafi to start with). There are also pavers manufactured with channels on the bottom for water to flow through.

Anyway, that is not the big question. Lets go back to the type of roof you are wanting to install, and what kind of railing you will be putting in. It could very well make a difference if you are going with wrought iron versus wood, and whether you are mounting the railing to/through the roof deck, or to the fascia. Once again, I do NOT recommend installing ANY low-sloped roof system directly over plywood decking. Don’t get me wrong, it will work, but you will be asking for trouble from fasteners backing out and movement at joints in plywood. Roofing membranes like EPDM will handle the movement just fine, but won’t handle fastener back-out or punctures very well. PVC is a little more durable than EPDM and would do well over the plywood joints, but PVC will require special metal flashings, and I just don’t think it would be right for your roof. Modified bitumens would stand up to impacts and resist punctures, but like any other menbrane you would want to protect it from fastener back-out by installing a layer of insulation. This is also a good time to increase the R-value in the roof assuming it is over living space.

Anyway, let me know what you decide to put down.

this is all i have to start with, this is the back of my house where i plan on building the garage, i just want to figure it all out before i get started on it. I’ll be tearing down the current porch and the storage shed underneath that also. I was planning on the pedestals which looks time consuming with 2’x 2’x 2" pavers, 1/4" per 12" slope with insulation ontop of epdm. looks like i’ll be installing a wood railing to the fascia of the garage. the pavers with channels wouldn’t be bad but wouldn’t be needed if i’m leveling off the patio. I can’t find the image online of the edge restraint system i found but it was a type of flashing that was nailed into the fascia and held the patio paver in place above, i’ll search for this tomorrow and add a photo if i find it. This restraint used with the pedestal leveling system would then close off the side so nothing would crawl up under the deck, since I am in pa and we have all kinds of critters.

I don’t know what type of garage you plan on constructing, but I don’t think I would go the paver route if I was you. Build your garage, install a granule-surfaced modified bitumen roof system (2-ply mod bit, 2-ply BUR with mod bit cap, or 3-ply BUR with mod bit cap) that is properly flashed and counterflashed at tie-in to house. If you want to use the roof of garage as a deck, install a wood or plastic-wood deck and mount your handrail to the perimeter if permissible by local code. The frame for the deck should be set on rubberized pads that spaced far enough apart they allow water to drain. Then simply walk away and enjoy your new garage roof/deck.

The garage is just going to be basic, block construction or wood since wood is so cheap right now. I’m not sure by what you mean what type of garage I’m planning on building. Whats the reasoning behind not recommending the pavers? Because of weight or cost?

I think pavers woud be both heavy and costly. Besides, do you realy want a sidewalk on your roof?

Here is what we do:

White IB membrane with wood/fiber boards on top.

The grey lines ir for protection - it is 80-mil scrap peices.

Most of the time though we use just regular PT lumber as it is lighter and cheaper than fiber composition deck boards.

I see that you plan to use epdm. My reccomendation is to go with a single sheet of that if possible - eg, no seams, as that ma create a mess.
Also, i am confused with a part where you going to lay your insulation on TOP of epdm… is that just typo? I mean, it does not make any sense - insulation goes under the membrane…

Here is another option for you:

It is IB DeckShield - the slip-proof, waterprofing membrane for decks/roofs.

There you get your railings, a great-looking roof, light weight and not overly expensive.

Good Luck

here is an example of the flashing i was talking about earlier, metalera.com/images/accessed … c_full.pdf

wphickman.com/fascia.html

I was wondering if there was something made to use with pavers on the pedestal leveling system

You would have to found out who the manufacturer of the pedestals is and/or the pavers, and ask them if they manufacture a system. If not, I would say it looks like you will have to special design something.