Painting Plywood and Supporting Lumber?

The biggest problem there is, is with the big l shingle manafactures gaf included. For standard pitch installation they give a 1-1/4" ± nailing area that is acceptable in there spec, however only the lowest 1/2" of this area is a double laminate. Some smaller manafactures use more material and make a double laminate 1.25-1.5 inch.

I, as well as many other guys on here only nail through the double laminate, it is the best, strongest, longest lasting way to install shingles. However if you still nail in the manafactures nailing area it meets there spec. The key is to take your time and do it right.

Unfortunately in the roofing industry alot of contractors and subcontractors get paid by the square, so the faster they slap them down the more money they make and quality tends to suffer.

Exactly, there is no consequence for doing the job right only a reward for doing the job fast and probably badly.
In life, whatever you reward is what you wind up with.

How does the quality of the job change when people are only paid when the job, all the job is done perfectly?
The customer wants and is paying for a quality job.

Why not introduce a technology that could guarantee that the job is done correctly?
The actual roofing job is still the same old roofing job, but now there is an on site quality checker
that assures a high quality job. GAF and the other shingle makers would love it because then they
would not be wrongly accused of making a poor product when it was instead a poor installation.

The high nails, nails on the tabs, those not on the double laminates could all be a thing of the past.
I have seen enough of the videos to know some of the tricks that make for a good job and a very bad one.

I’m into technology more than just about anybody. We use satellite images to measure, drones to inspect, etc… But I’ve yet to see a drone nail in a single shingle. If I had to choose between technology and good tradespeople, that drone would be in the trashcan in less than 5 seconds.

A nail gun with gps/video camera may sound like a great idea to someone sitting on the ground and has never installed a roof in their lives but in the real world it is not realistic at all. Nail guns cost between $200-$300. I bet a nail gun with this technology would easily be over 1k.

Nail guns are meant to be used, and used hard. A productive roofer nails maybe 5k nails per day. Nail guns are used in 120 degrees and below 0 degrees. They are used in the rain. They get tar all over them. Dirty roofers sweat all over them. They occasionally fall off the roof. How long do you think it will take for the camera/gps to fail and force the roofer to replace for another 1k nail gun?

I got into roofing and construction not because I had to. In fact growing up I did very well in school so I easily could have gone to college and got into a completely different career. I got into it because I had a passion for it. To me there is a purity in working with your hand and learning skills that have stood the test of time. I also like the feeling of accomplishment when I finish a project. This trade rewards hard work more than most and there is no way to fake it. These are not the words of an set in their ways/ready to retire guy either, I just turned 33.

In my opinion, technology has harmed construction far more than it has helped it. Look at old buildings in Europe, then look at what we build now. With all our fancy technology, materials with completely unrealistic “warranties” and new building practices those building will be lucky to have 20% of the lifespan. I love nail guns (at one time new technology) but am fully aware that they caused a HUGH drop in shingle instillation quality.

With all that said if I would have wanted to get in the tech field, I would have, and if roofing ever forces me to become a high tech roofer… then I am done roofing.