Owens Corning Duration Premium Shingle Advice

Hello,

I am process of putting a new roof on my home. I am finding out from reading on this forum that not all shingles are the same quality.

Has anyone installed or have any information on the new Duration Premium Shingle from Owens Corning. I live on a lake in Michigan with some high winds AND I believe the shingle is very attractive with nice coloring and shadow lines (Driftwood).

I know many people recommend ELK and CERTAINTEED but I am leaning towards these shingles!

Please advise!

Thank you

i know that they are one of the makers that has went to a
solid line sealant .
thats not good.

get a spotted sealant .

Hi,

Owens Corning makes a decent shingle.

I PUT THERE 50YR ON MY HOUSE. I USE TAMKO OC AND GAF LIKE I TELL MY CUSTOMER THERE LIKE DODGE FORD AND CHEVY ALL PRETTY CLOSE IN SPEC AND ARE THREE BEST ON MARKET

must be too new of a product!

any more advice!

spotted sealant strip.

gweedo

Personally, I like OC shingles the best & it’s what I use 99% of the time. I live in a high wind area & find that they stick down much better & have yet to lose a shingle using any OC shingles.

Just curious though: Gweedo, Why do you think the solid sealant is not the way to go?

Well no offense but if you nail a shingle properly and for a high wind spec you should not lose any period. No matter what the shingle.

Hi Gtp1003,

We hand seal roofs that were nailed right. Some manufacturers us a cheaper grade of adhesive.

GP, Celotex, Atlas, … There are others.

I was just out to one. IKO’s the roof did not seal. Nailed right.

We just hand sealed 1/2 of a roof. The other half sealed. This was spread out over the whole roof. Do not know the brand.

Yes, that is true & is how I always nail all my shingles & have yet to lose one. This guy was asking how the OC shingles stand up in wind & I was just letting him know my experience. :slight_smile:

ditto lefty,all shingles are not the same!

please send all donations to gweedo/tampa bay.

the spotted sealant strip was developed to stop water from entering
at the sides and running inbetween, sideways, on lower slopes.
putting the sealant strips in spots helped alleviate this problem
the water that gets in the sides doesnt trail over, it is able to escape
out from inbetween. the lower the slope the more water enters at the sides, the more important the spotted strip .
i have allready repaired shingles with the solid strip.
everyone i lifted had water trapped inbetween and rusted away nails.

if you are installin shingles with a solid sealant strip, do yourself
a favor. stop.

gweedo

gweedo