Ordering shingles few questions

Have done my research and looks like Certainteed Landmark 30 in Heatherblend are going to be the ones. CUt sample boards and put them on the roof and looked for hours at Burnt Sienna, resawn shake and weatered wood. They all look nice this is for the house photo posted a while back. Thanks guys for help and even to find this site and find the Certainteed brand.

Made calls on stock, not much 40 year up here, all colours are not available now and trucks from the states are held up I was told 4 to six weeks cause of load restrictions or something, may be part of the softwood lumber stuff between the states and Canada either way Murhpy throws me a curve.

The very experienced roofer I had lined up has dissapeared so I am high and dry but want to get all the materials, at least if I had them I can find someone else saddly.

I measured the home and can calculate the squares and number of buncles.

1 What percentage do you add for what gets lost in the process, 10 or 20 percent??

2 When you order shingles do you ask them if they are fresh, where they are stored etc be sure they are the same batch number???

I asked a few questions today about that and think they though I was an alien or something.

With my furniture wood I hand pick all and have always got very prime material, if I left it up he lumber company then you get about 15 percent prime if they were to pick your order.

3 What is used for a starter strip for these shingles? Do I just order x number of bundles of 3 tab that get flipped over.

I needed to go over this with the roofer to make a list to be sure to have all things here ahead of time. Am starting to panic, weather has been raining every day and now looks like maybe three days in a row where it just may not rain, long weekend all will be closed so leaves tomorrow to rouung up all supplies.

Thanks,

Warren

Usually 10% is enough to cover waste. If your roof is really cut up (a lot of angles) you may need more.

It is a good idea to have the shingles with the same run number, but not life threatening.

Storage usually affects the packaging, not the material. Unless the shingles are old and stuck together, they should be fine.

Make sure you order ridge cap, felt, nails and the metal for the job. Most distributors can help you out if you bring in a roof sketch with dimensions.

If you order too much, be prepared to pay a resocking fee to return the extra. Sometimes it is good to be a little short if the supplier is close to you.

[quote=“donl”]Usually 10% is enough to cover waste. If your roof is really cut up (a lot of angles) you may need more.

It is a good idea to have the shingles with the same run number, but not life threatening.

Storage usually affects the packaging, not the material. Unless the shingles are old and stuck together, they should be fine.

Make sure you order ridge cap, felt, nails and the metal for the job. Most distributors can help you out if you bring in a roof sketch with dimensions.

If you order too much, be prepared to pay a resocking fee to return the extra. Sometimes it is good to be a little short if the supplier is close to you.[/quote]

agreed. restocking fee is usually 20%. The Certainteed manual that you have shows how to calculate waste for rake edges, valleys, hips etc. in the section starting at page 26 entitled “estimating roof covering.”