? on shingled valley not being nailed

today I was up blowing the junk from my valley and noticed that you can actually pick up the one side of the shingles along the valley.

I noticed this before too but forgot to ask. Its like the shingles are all cut down thru the valley to form a perfect straight line but the one side is just kinda laying on the other side like its not nailed close to the valley.

Should I run a bead of roof cement down the lenght of that side just under the edge or leave it alone ?

I dont want to trap any water in either…

Thank you

when it was done 10 yrs ago they put ice and water crosswise in the valley 9ft up with rolled roofing then the Archect shingles, metal across where the valley ends under the roofing for strength ??

Hello,

IMO you have nothing to worry about. You should stay out of the valley a minimum of 6" with your nails. You could check and see if this is the case but you should be ok.

Keith

I would say thats about what it is is 6" so you dont think I should run a bead of roof cement under that edge ??

[quote=“cvcman”]today I was up blowing the junk from my valley and noticed that you can actually pick up the one side of the shingles along the valley.

I noticed this before too but forgot to ask. Its like the shingles are all cut down thru the valley to form a perfect straight line but the one side is just kinda laying on the other side like its not nailed close to the valley.

Should I run a bead of roof cement down the lenght of that side just under the edge or leave it alone ?

I dont want to trap any water in either…

Thank you[/quote]

If you apply roof cement, do not apply a continuous bead as it can entrap water. If it is that big a concern, and I can’t tell from where I’m sitting, you can get roof cement in a caulk tube and apply a small dab beneath each shingle. Be careful not to apply cement where it will impede the flow of water and possibly divert it beneath the shingles.

Think I should just leave it alone then ??

It has lasted 10 years now,yes leave it alone :slight_smile:

ok thanks, now go reply to my metal roof post,lol :smiley: