? on carport roof construction with 2 x 4 rafters

Ok I have a carport that was put on my house a few years back. It is 24 ft long and basiclly it is a lean to style that has the rafters fastned to a ledger board on the house and then they are set/fastned to an outside ledger rim that sets on
4 x 4 posts there are 5 in the length.

My question/worry is this… the rafters are 2 x 4 ‘s 16" on center with 1/2" 5 plywood. the total length of the rafters is about 8’ long and the pitch of the roof is about a 4/12.

We live in Upstate NY and get some snow load. I will roof rake this roof when it gets a heavy load but if I didnt would the 2 x 4 's hold the load ??

It looks to be built pretty well and the rafters and plywood look sound with no rot or wetness etc…

I am just thinking IF we leave here for the winter will it hold ???

You worry a lot…

If it was built properly it will carry the load with no problem.
16" on center over an 8’ run is adequate.

You noticed that huh, good eye ! So… even though they are only 2 x 4 's 16" centers that will hold the snow load you feel ?

I figured it probably would but I wasn’t sure. I looked up in there and they are toenailed to the ledger 3 nails on a side and they look fine but I do keep it roof raked but would rather not have to worry IF we go South for the summer.

Thanks

Worrywart

also the rafters are 8ft long spaced 16" center apart but the length of the carport is 24ft long . So there are like 18 8ft 2x4 rafters.

Just incase you misunderstood my post.

Thanks

Worrywart

I noticed when I walk on the roof it bounces more than my main roof which is 2 x 6 16" OC rafters.

Again my main concern is snow load does it seem normal that the roof would bounce with my 200 pound lard a%% on it ??

I can make just about any roof bounce, and I’m 35 lbs lighter.

An engineer will tell you that you need to worry when there is NO bounce to the roof. That means the laod limit is reached and it is ready to POP.

hummm interesting. I just wonder IF the 2 x 4 's will hold with snow load as I will be gone this winter I hope . Again it is only 8 ft long but the slope is only like a 4/12 but they are 16 centers

Thanks fellas

[quote=“cvcman”]hummm interesting. I just wonder IF the 2 x 4 's will hold with snow load as I will be gone this winter I hope . Again it is only 8 ft long but the slope is only like a 4/12 but they are 16 centers

Thanks fellas[/quote]

How long has this roof been there?

about 15 years BUT I always was here to roof rake it off

hey cman,
seams like i remember some kind of snow melting wires or something you could put up there to keep the snow from building up, while your gone.

why is the guy from florida explainin this.

somebody help me out.

gweedo

[quote=“gweedo”]hey cman,
seams like i remember some kind of snow melting wires or something you could put up there to keep the snow from building up, while your gone.

why is the guy from florida explainin this.

somebody help me out.

gweedo[/quote]

From his description the roof is properly built and will carry an above normal snow load.

We try to avoid the use of the “snow melting wires” whenever possible.

no the wires were on a valley on the south of the house and are not used anymore. This is a carport roof. Again I only question it because it seems bouncy when I walk it

ok you asked for it.

cvcman,
quit walkin and bouncin on it.

gweedo.

I wont tell you what I was really doing on that roof ! :shock:

ok, maybe a few extra 4x4s will be a good idea.

gweedo