Old flat roof - can a coating be applied?

Hi all,

We purchased a home 3 years ago in Ontario, Canada that has a 900 square foot addition attached to it. Although the original house has a peaked roof, the roof of the addition is flat. In fact, it is completely flat, with no slope whatsoever. It looks like there have been a couple of layers of mod bit installed, but probably many years ago, and never taken care of.

The entire addition seems to have been built without any respect to code, and we are in the process of remedying these issues. There are plans to tear off the existing flat roof and replace with a peaked roof, but our contractor is not available to do the work until next spring. I would like to coat the roof with something as a preventative measure before the winter arrives, but am not sure what my options are?

Here are some pictures of the state of the roof material:

Anyone have any suggestions to help us get through the winter?

Thanks,

Rhino

if you are just trying to get thru the winter heres a cheap and i mean cheap solution.go to your local bldg supply store(home depot,menards,etc.)buy the following;1- 1gallon pail of plastic cement,1- small 3"trowel,1- 5 gallon pail of aluminum coating,1-9"paint roller and handle
use the cement and trowel to patch any and all holes in the roof.then, open the coating,mix extensivly(dont freakout if it has a gold color in the can) then using the entire can coat your roof.twice if you have enough.always remember not to paint yourself into a spot you cannot escape from!!!then,in the sprig call a roofer and tear it all off and put a new roof on it!!!

Simple solutions as stated above

Use the cement but add FABRIC to the mix, this will hold up better and longer

Fiber coat with FIBRATED aluminum coating entire roof deck

Dont forget to clean it first

You should be good to go

Flat roofs such as the APP 160 or even the granulated APP 180 needs to coated in my opinion every 5 years. A good base is then coated and coated again. Pushing that flat roof to its full life cycle and then some

Make sure you mix the alumacoat very well. A drill with a paint mixer works great! Mix it where you will be starting and it can get messy.

[quote]roofboss Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:34 pm Post subject:

if you are just trying to get thru the winter heres a cheap and i mean cheap solution.go to your local bldg supply store(home depot,menards,etc.)buy the following;1- 1gallon pail of plastic cement,1- small 3"trowel,1- 5 gallon pail of aluminum coating,1-9"paint roller and handle
use the cement and trowel to patch any and all holes in the roof.then, open the coating,mix extensivly(dont freakout if it has a gold color in the can) then using the entire can coat your roof.twice if you have enough.always remember not to paint yourself into a spot you cannot escape from!!!then,in the sprig call a roofer and tear it all off and put a new roof on it!!!
[/quote]

this is the way to go as roofboss said , it will get you threw the winter on the cheap , but come spring time be ready to have the old roof removed

i would like to mention a few small details though

1)roof cement is incompatible with mod bit roofs , though it will work in a pinch for repairs but over time the oils in it will eat the mod bit and your patch will eventually leak

1. do not use fibered coating (a bonus for you since non-fibered is cheaper) fibered coating is NOT compatable with mod bit , it is made for use on asphalt roofs only and again some of the oils in it can and will eat the mod bit leaving you with bigger problems (some mod bits can take it like ones made with organic materials such as firestones APP others cant like ones made with synthetic materials like GAF rubberroid , worth the risk to find out which one you have ?)

3)anytime you use roof cement you want to use A.S.F (asphalt saturated fabric)to keep your roof cement from cracking and leaking

i cant tell you how many times i have had to repair other peoples patches just because they didn’t use A.S.F.or used incompatible materials.sadly some people think that just because they can trowl down some roof cement that makes them a roofer and when they do it incorrectly or use it on a incompatible roof system it gives us all a bad name

dry it out real good and cool seal it.

gweedo