Office staff

For you guys with bigger companies: What would you offer pay & benefit wise for an office manager. The position would do accounts rec. & payable for both business and me personally, answer phones & book keeping.

Just wondering what you would (or do) offer for this type of position?

depending on exp. here in bc 15-20/hr

Hi,

Do a google search for that postion in your area.

This should give you an idea of the pay and duties and education that people looking for that postion have.

Also jobs posted will give you an idea of the education that others are requiring for that postion.

our office manager makes $1,000 a week… but she often has to work 7:30-5:30, and sometimes has to come in on weekends and let people in, early mornings during the summer, and she is never late, or calls in sick.

we probably get in the area of 50ish hours or more out of her in an average week.

[quote=“Agape”]our office manager makes $1,000 a week… but she often has to work 7:30-5:30, and sometimes has to come in on weekends and let people in, early mornings during the summer, and she is never late, or calls in sick.

we probably get in the area of 50ish hours or more out of her in an average week.[/quote]

1000 a week and she works the register?
Sweet! :mrgreen:

she does a little more than just “work the register” lol

Hello Kage, Dave here with Extreme Weather Roofing. Where abouts is duncan BC?, I’m new to the area (VAN) just wondering where you are located.
Also, I would agree with you on this one here in BC $15-$20/hour +++Ben

I say if she already knows how to do the job then 20 an hour, but if she has to learn it then thats another story. If she can take care of the day to day problems and put out fires without help then she is worth her weight in gold. It takes a special type of lady to run an office for a roofing company. Remember to look for someone who can take abuse as well as dish it out. This way there is not any gimmies if you know what i mean. Good luck in your search marshall.

duncan is on Vancouver island

At one time, I placed an ad for an experienced construction office manager. I described what I thought the day to day workload might be like. There were some things that had to be done…some things I wanted done if there was time, and some things I hoped could get done. The girl that I hired was the one that asked me how much I paid my men for lead referrals, what % of the profit my sales people expected, and
asked if I had a job cost/ savings incentives for
project managers. She asked for minimum wage…plus the same opportunity that referrals paid, % of job profit for sales, and % of job cost savings from estimate to actual. She really took me to school
on back office politics, and in the 5 years that she worked for me…she made a lot of money and saved me a fortune. Unfortunately, she had a lot of information in her head, that never made it down on paper, and when she got sick…I was lost like a white dog in a blizzard. When you say that she handles both your business and your personal stuff…
is it fair to judge her production based on a split loyalty…I mean…can you measure her productivity for your roofing company if she’s going back and forth between two situations.?

I’m not sure if I quailify for a “big company” with you are not Marshall.

I have 14 employees right now. Years past I have had as many as 18 plus subs.

My OM makes $800 week plus bennifits. She does data entry, lead quailfing and scheduling, A/P and A/R.
She orders materials, shops for prices, plus helps with every other adim. type duty. Payroll, keeps me straight.
She helps with marketing. Damn-it, I should of never started down this road. Monday I will give her a $40.00 a week pay raise. Thanks alot Marshall.

BTW. She worked in the supply house for 12 yrs. prior and has a extensive product knowlege.

Also before you hire anybody have them personality profiled. And talk to your insurer about embezzelment coverage. It is inexpensive and necessary

i found some one. I did about 50 interviews between monday & Thursday. Apparently every qualified woman in my area is out of work. I had a great pool of people to choose from. Thanks for all your guys insight.

Well thats good news.

I have a feeling this year it will be pretty easy to find new employees who will want to keep their jobs and show up on time everyday without always wanting more money. I also think this is going to be the year that sort of weeds out a lot of the “hack” uninsured types. Just my opinion.

Bam i agree those who have money will stay in business those who dont will be gone. But it still will not stop ghost policys for insurance.

Good to hear Marshall. SHe will need to pre-qualify to be worth the money.

office staff ? well yes. Its more like a lousiville slugger than a staff. keep it under my desk.

For a full-time management position, I would not go less than $48/year.