Not a roof ? but block looks wet?

Ok this is my ? for this month,lol

I have 2 blocks above grade and one block on an outside corner always looks wet when it rains or is real humid outdoors. The roof overhangs about 2ft over the outside wall.

I went into the attic and looked with a light to see if somehow the roof was leaking and it was somehow running behind the siding and sheathing and running down on the block.

I took a Kleenex and held it against the block and it doesnt seem wet but it sure looks wet. I took a flashlight and looked under the bottom edge of the siding and there is Celotex sheathing but that doesnt look wet.

It seems if the Celotex was wet it would crumble apart when you try and dig a pc out with yor finger. I cannot imagine why this is the only sopt on the whole house the looks this way.

When its hot and dry in the summer it seems dry looking. My blacktop driveway runs right up to the wall and it is slopped away from the house.

Again this is way under the roof overhang. Ideas ??

cv man i dont think you have aproblem. i think you know that.you need ahobby

heres a couple pics not too good though showing the area.

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … 8_0954.jpg

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … rontdr.jpg

if you look at the summer pic its the top block all the way to the left of the pic where the wall 90 eg turns back to the entry door. Again there is a 2ft roof overhang over that corner.

The winter pic just shows the jog from a different angle. Probably not much help

cv man ; mabey the block is still curing.could be bad concrete mix

humm well the block was laid in 1953. Sure seems like it must be something when the weather is dry the block looks dry, wet weather block looks wet. Is it possible anyway water could be behind the siding ?

I have many hobbys by the way but thanks for your ideas :wink:

if it really bothers you . a thermal imaging device can tell if moisture is behind siding . hand held is about 3000$. try to find someone who has one might get out cheap. probly a c note

and IF there is moisture behind there how would it be getting there. I wouldn’t mind spending 3k :roll:

is siding tight ? does it have underlament?are therejoint on joint? is the corners weaved? are the shakes old?

look at my pics, its Cedar clapboard, painted and sealed tight. Again it is 2 ft under the roof overhang. I cannot figure how water could ever get to it. The blacktop that is up against the wall is dry. The roof is snow covered but melting.

It looked fairly dry until we had some rain today. It feels damp to touch but when a Kleenex is held against it it doesnt look or feel wet.

It almost looks like shelac or sealer on this block, its spotty too not the whole block looks this way there is a spot about 3" in dia that looks dry??

The roof is full length of the house with no jogs or valleys, even if the roof leaked it doesnt seem as though it would get behind the siding and sheathing it owuld run out of the soffit :roll:

i think your right about some sealer may have put on block.seems like agood explanation

does the siding have corner boards? i cant see no corners in pics. sounds crazy but looks like no corners mabey i just cant see them

siding has metal cornes that are used on Cedar clapboard, again the siding never gets wet becasue it faces East and is so far under the overhang

again when its dry and not humid outside the block looks dry

gotta be something on the block. i give up :?

thanks anyway, I think if it was something on the block it would always look this way… :roll:

could it be a capilariy wicking action from something under the black top ?? I got back into the attice this morning and looked down the decking and rafters, all dry and if it was coming from the roof and going 8ft down everything would be soaked and the wallboard too ???

picture this…
the house wrap goes from the top of the foundation to
the top plate of the framing, the windows are wrapped with a membrane to keep water from getting in around the window. Somehow, there is water getting in behind the fascia in the area around the drip edge, getting onto the top of the soffit, running in against the house, hitting the housewrap, and then running down the wall behind the siding, on the house wrap.
I have seen recently where water hitting the window
top casing, ran inside the clapboard, over the tyvek, and down to the sill, which was a couple of inches short of the bottom, exposed, and wicked back up into the sheathing all the way up to the window bottom framing. 24 inches. wicked…from the outside, you couldn’t see any problem, but with the siding removed, it was horrendous. After further investigation, almost every house in the subdivision
had the same problem and thousands of dollars and hours of repairs were necessary this past summer to
fix this recently discovered problem on a bunch of 8 year old houses. By the way, OSB was the sheathing
and the rot was so bad , that the OSB was worse than a old rotted sponge that you might find in back under your sink. House wrap done wrong causes
more problems than if it weren’t there at all. well maybe NOT!!.

anyways, hope this helps…

David

Great, you just gave him a whole new class of things to worry about…

hahahah.
yah…it’s my new sales pitch…
I learned it from my proctologist.
just because you can’t see it,
doesn’t mean it’s ok!!

yup only a few problems with that; no window near here, no house wrap, built in 1957, celotex sheathing behnd the cedar is dry at the bottom edge, soffit is bone dry as there is a 3ft overhang on the roof in this area, drip edge goes on top of gutter apron.

Fashisa is aluminum bent edge to hold up the soffit all dry !

Again could it be wicking up ??