NJ Prices per Square

I have an 18 sq roof, and was quoted a price of $4800 ($266 per sq) to remove 2 layers and install new roof. I specified Certainteed Lankmark 30. Other specs are ice shield on eaves and valleys, copper flashing on chimney, #15 felt, ridge vent and 2X2 drip edges. 4 nails per shingle. Contractor is reputable.

Other than licensing, insurance, references, etc, any other questions I should be asking? Is this a reasonable NY Metro price?

sounds a little cheap for my area, especially with copper. it better be a straight ranch.

Hi, Jerry

I am in North East Ohio. For our area that price would be fair. Granted the following it is a walkable roof, easy access(the old shingles will fall off the roof into the dump truck no carry around involved), no big hazards or obstacles that increase the likely hood of damaging property or increase in liability.
A couple of questions what are the charges if there is bad wood deck, or fascia board, etc? Do they intend to refasten the existng deck? I would recommend getting rid of the 15# felt paper it is junk. I say you should Go with at least 30# felt (it’s not that much more price wise). What is the warranty that the contractor is offering to you?

We’d charge double that, easy.

A couple of questions what are the charges if there is bad wood deck, or fascia board, etc? Do they intend to refasten the existng deck? I would recommend getting rid of the 15# felt paper it is junk. I say you should Go with at least 30# felt (it’s not that much more price wise). What is the warranty that the contractor is offering to you?

They said I get 3 X 3/4" inch boards for free. I will also discuss warranty and ask for #30 felt.

where i come from that is practically a steal. in my area 300.00 a square is real cheap. I,m thinking there must be a lot of roofing Co.'s competing down there. 2 layer rip, ice water on the eaves and valleys, copper on chimney… i agree with the guy that said it should be double what your paying.

Man I wish I could get that kind of money here. I do flat work mostly and shingles on the side. I useually do 10-15 a year. Last year I got two. I cant count how many people told me that they would like me to do there roof because of recommendations ect… but my price was almost double the next guy. And I bid a two layer tear off thats walkable at $200 a square. The guy at the supply house said going price was $125. Thats insane. Roofers around here are working for gas money. I wont waste my time or cut the corners needed to do it for those prices.

your not kidding. that is brutal. it isn’t worth getting on the roof for that price. keep in mind that most of the work we do in my area are 2 & 3 story houses, with average 8"12’ to 10"12’ pitch. i just couldn’t see doing that for 125.

I’m in central Alabama and that would be about the going price around here . Even though i would probably bid a lot higher so i would not get the job, unless times were getting hard. Because a two layer tear off is just so much more work.

that came across as a sort of oxymoron to me: 2 layer rip is so much work, and then your phrase, roofin is fun. nothing against you. and your right, roofing is fun, but i just finished doing a triple layer rip, on a 2 story house, 10"12’ pitch… by myself…no bull…no fun… 18 sq. :frowning:

almost all roofs in upstate NY are (at least) 2 layers. i bid one today that had 5 layers. usually they are 2 layers of asphalt on cedar.

to the guy that said $125/sq. for a tear off. you are not even covering overhead!!! that is about what materials should cost. how are you paying for dump, labor, insurance…etc? :shock:

I wouldn’t be thats why I didnt do much side work last year. I cant go less than 200 to give up a weekend. At $125 id end up paying to work. Roofings not that fun.

so you are a “weekend warrior” and you still cant work for under $200/sq?! i actually find it refreshing to hear that. some of the older roofers in my area aren’t keeping up with todays market as far as price goes. they all think im underbidding them to win the jobs. actually they are hurting them selves because their price sticks out as too low in comparison and it scares some people away. oh well…there loss.

If I was paying the bills doing it I could compete at 125 but I work all week at a salaried position and my weekends are more valuable than the 3-500 id make at 125 a square.

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Dare I say that I am an insurance adjuster located in Ohio. I see two layer tear off, ice shield, felt, 3 tab shingles, w/ ice guard and drip running between $210 and $220 per square including dump.

This assumes no steep or height, single story type ranch home with a standard chimney, a couple stacks and hat vents.

Costs are going to increase with more details such as metal work in valleys and around dormers. Hip roofs with ridge shingles or caps will increase costs as well.

Well jtdew, we all know that ins. co. prices are based on :
A) uninsured contractors.
B) Contractors w/ improperly insured subs
C) Illegal alien, untaxed wages
D) Based on a tailight warranty. Just get the customer to sign off— cheap
E) Permit? Licensing? hahahahhaha

In general my prices are on average about 40% higher than what the insurance company paying. As a legal entity, doing the job legally and to minimum specs.
(Not specifying it minimally, but actually doing it)

SO the TRUE price of that job would be around $300 per sq. in Ohio. Or Indiana where I am located. Or more, as I am not the most expensive in my area.
It is simply true that the Insurance Company can get it done, ILLEGALLY, for $210-220.

[quote=“jtdew”]Hello everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Dare I say that I am an insurance adjuster located in Ohio. I see two layer tear off, ice shield, felt, 3 tab shingles, w/ ice guard and drip running between $210 and $220 per square including dump.

This assumes no steep or height, single story type ranch home with a standard chimney, a couple stacks and hat vents.

Costs are going to increase with more details such as metal work in valleys and around dormers. Hip roofs with ridge shingles or caps will increase costs as well.[/quote]

are you going to raise those prices by 12-15% with the nationwide industry increase announced from the manufactures effective feb. 1st 2008? or are those the same prices you have been giving for 3 years, while at the same time we have gotten 5 increases from our suppliers and insurance companies?

i dont want to sound like a dikk…but, i can just barely make a profit at $250/sq with a 1 layer tear straight ranch. ice & water and ridge caps are automatic in my price.

if i do a lay over (which i dont like to) i would be around your price.

[quote=“twill59”]Well jtdew, we all know that ins. co. prices are based on :
A) uninsured contractors.
B) Contractors w/ improperly insured subs
C) Illegal alien, untaxed wages
D) Based on a tailight warranty. Just get the customer to sign off— cheap
E) Permit? Licensing? hahahahhaha

In general my prices are on average about 40% higher than what the insurance company paying. As a legal entity, doing the job legally and to minimum specs.
(Not specifying it minimally, but actually doing it)

SO the TRUE price of that job would be around $300 per sq. in Ohio. Or Indiana where I am located. Or more, as I am not the most expensive in my area.
It is simply true that the Insurance Company can get it done, ILLEGALLY, for $210-220.[/quote]

I know for a fact that long-time, well-established, locally-owned companies work directly off my estimates all the time without issue. Costs will escalate with the more detail work involved.

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]

[quote=“jtdew”]Hello everyone!

Costs are going to increase with more details such as metal work in valleys and around dormers. Hip roofs with ridge shingles or caps will increase costs as well.[/quote]

are you going to raise those prices by 12-15% with the nationwide industry increase announced from the manufactures effective feb. 1st 2008? or are those the same prices you have been giving for 3 years, while at the same time we have gotten 5 increases from our suppliers and insurance companies?

i dont want to sound like a dikk…but, i can just barely make a profit at $250/sq with a 1 layer tear straight ranch. ice & water and ridge caps are automatic in my price.

if i do a lay over (which i dont like to) i would be around your price.[/quote]

I would bet that being in NY that there would be a substantial difference in cost. East coast is just more expensive which drives labor rates and overhead costs higher.

We get pricing updates every 3 months that change too keep up with the market. Frankly, I’m in constant contact with the local roofing supply houses to ensure that material costs are current due to the constant flux and change in petroleum.

If a material cost is off, I change it and notate exactly where the price change came from.

No one in my company questions it if you sight your source. Unfortunately, you get some not so bright people in my industry who say “this is what the computer says” and leaves it at that.

I think we can all agree that it’s foolish to ask for online estimates. Prices in roofing costs can vary greatly in as little as a 30 mile radius.