Nightmare customer

I did a repair for a lady in my contract i told her i would replace any damage plywood i replaced a couple of sheets that were bad reflashed her wall reshingled it.She call me back tell me there is still a soft spot so i go over there remove the shingles and show her the wood the old wood is 3/8 thick and i tell her it going to be soft it 24 on center and its not thick plywwood i used 1/4 plywood for the couple of sheets i replaced any way she call me back tell me she has leak on that wall so i go out there her husband acts like asshole toward me anyway i go up and see her siding has come off the housei can stick my whole hand in there i show her you cant talk logic with this lady that its nothing to do with what i did she trying to sue me she keep saying that she wants her house fixed right but i did not guarantee her whole house or siding only the work i did and bye the way it leaks only when there is a wind driven rain

How can you say you fixed it right if you used 1/4 plywood? I don’t know of any shingle manufacture that approves there shingles being installed over 1/4 plywood. espcially with 24 inch centered rafters. Even If they did why use plywood of a diffrent thickness than the other existing. Come on how much money did you save by using 1/4inch ply instaed of 3/8 ply. You could of at least used 7/16 osb. :?:
Anyway If this area is near a wall and step flashing is involved then you need to fix the leak. Because the homeowner and any other contractor is going to say that you created the issues with the siding. This sounds like a perfect example of Ranch’s signature line which by the way I like. :wink:

post some pics of it!!!

¼" Plywood? I can’t believe you brought that around here & didn’t think we would let it pass.

ONE QUARTER INCH? I could push a thumbtack all the way through that… & 24" O.C.? Give it 1 to 1½ years & that thing will have a more than a dip; you’ll have what motorcross riders call “whoop de doo’s” (or “whoops”).

Does that look like your roof deck?

Wow… I’m tempted to suggest you change the title of this thread to “nightmare roofer”.

I would have to agree the ply wood is not spec. And you should know that. All i can say is wow. 1/4 plywood.

Maybe 1/4 is a typo. Not willing to secure some siding while you are there. Must be another typo.

Hi,
No matter what thickness is on the roof, you would replace with like kind.

:smiley: is all i can say

That’s not saying much.

I did use thicker plywood than she had i messed up when i typed the the plwood size in and i was only doing a repair i cant mkae the lady replace good plywwood because of the thickness when the house was built it was code then and were the siding pulled away from the house is up bye the rake not down low its running down the wall all i did was relash her wall and replace a couple of damage sheets of plywood i had nothing to do with her siding

So do you reflash a wall without touching the siding?

oh boyy :shock:

IT was her garage i reflased the otheR side of the garage HAS no problem and how does taken OUT a piece of J CHANNEL OUT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE SIDING THATS ON THE ROOF HAVE TO DO WITH HER SIDING UP BY HER GABLE THATS PULLED OFF HER HOUSE. AM I RESONSIBLE FOR HER WINDOW ON THAT SIDE OF THE HOUSE TO. I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS HER jCHANNEL STICK PASSED HER SIDE FACIA BOARD SO WATER CAN RUN DOWN IT. IT SHOULD BE UNDER IT SECOND OF ALL THEY SLAMED THE NAILS HOME WHEN THEY DID THE SIDING SO IT CRACKED THE ASBESTOS UNDER THE INSULTION AND THE NAILS NEVER REALLY GRABED . WHAT I WANTED WAS ADVICE WAS HOW DO I MAKE THIS LADY UNDERSTAND THATS ITS HER SIDING NOT HER ROOF AND BECAUSE I DID A ROOF REPAIR ON THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE HOW DOES THAT MAKE ME RESPONSIBLE FOR HER SIDING. I FORGOT EVERYBODY HERE IS A SUPER STAR ON THIS SITE.

First of all make yourself 100% clear. Because if you talk to her the way you explain yourself here on this website then your going to forever have problems with people and customers.

My advice

Did you clearly explain to her what the leak issue is and how it suddenly appeared after you were there(wind storm, weather, etc)? Because to her it is a coincidence that you were on here roof and now she has a leak. Did you take her outside and get on the roof and show her from the ground? Did you take pictures and show her the siding issues? Did you offer to fix the problem? Did you give her an estimate to fix it? If you or your company doesn’t do siding did you refer her to someone you know and recommend or at least call them for her on her behalf? Did you assure her that you will do whatever it takes to make her happy? Because if you did a repair on her house and it leaks then you know bought her roof. She is now your customer and it’s your job to service her and make her happy no matter what takes. I personaly judge a company on how they react and how they treat customers after the sale or service. If you didn’t do this I recommend you do. Just my opinion though.

I missed the part where you asked for advice. You wrote in one giant sentence. Makes it hard to read. You didn’t ask, looked like any angry man venting to me.

My advice, without see, the exact problem. Renail siding, write an invoice for $49. No invoice if they weren’t jerks. Then Kill’em with kindness.

Hi,

I did not read any question. Just a guy venting.

Why would you not fix it when you where there. How much are you going to lose proving to her that it is not the roof.
I tell some customers that they must consider that it is not the roof or this will never get fixed. Because it is not the roof.**

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

I tell some customers that they must consider that it is not the roof or this will never get fixed. Because it is not the roof.**[/quote]

I sucks when you got to do that…
It’s a hard sell, even when it is true… :cry:

OK, so 1/4 was a typo.

But why wouldn’t you want to put 3/8 in where 3/8 was there before?

Especially if it’s a 3Tab, that will be noticeable… I doubt a dimensional shingle will suck that difference up either (you’re essentially bypassing a 1/2" & going up a fair amount).

Hi Ranchhand,

What are you talking about???

I do not know why you would not use the same material.

Lefty,

(which we’re later told…)

…Which leads me to believe he didn’t use 3/8". Now, maybe I was off when I said he blew past 1/2" (something made me think his typo was that he used 3/4" because it’s easier to make a typing mistake by using a 1 instead of a 3 vs. both a 3 AND an 8 ). That would mean a typo on 1 digit vs. a typo on TWO… & the 8 is not really near the other keys on either a 10 touch or the “kwerty” area.

So, that’s what my point is.