Night temping epdm seams whats everyone do during tear off?

I usually use a light coat of splice adhesive just wondering what everyone else does overnight.

Low rise?

very very little pitch almost 1/4 inch per 100 feet almost flat, with drains. This is that 800 sq. job I was talking about a week or so ago.

Wow! Is that even allowed? Isn’t there a 1/4" per 12" requirement for EPDM?

Coal Tar for this one. Just ask roofboss. He knows pitch like no other at our locale.

But low rise foam seems to do the trick for a nightseal.

Already one layer of 2" insulation/ tar and gravel, one layer of half inch fiber board/ epdm all on steel. Buildings roughly thirty years old.

[quote=“AaronB.”]Wow! Is that even allowed? Isn’t there a 1/4" per 12" requirement for EPDM?

Coal Tar for this one. Just ask roofboss. He knows pitch like no other at our locale.

But low rise foam seems to do the trick for a nightseal.[/quote]

three roofs in 30 years…what is the cause of failure?

Steel substrate sorry, 2" insulation/ tar and gravel 1/2" insulation /epdm. Whats this low rise foam you speak of and who makes it, is it easy clenup in the morning or is it a sticky mess like foam in a can. My supplier sells low rise foam for installing insullation to concrete, is it the same product your talking about?

use hot asphalt and embed the epdm into the asphalt.the old roof (t&g) must be spudded first. i have never trusted low rise foam for tieoffs.wait a minute, are you tieing off rubber to rubber? if so your method is ok. if its over the weekend ill even lap seal it.

Roof Boss thanks for the advice. yes i’m tieing rubber to rubber, Are you saying once I’m down to substrate install new insullation (2") then hot asphalt then embed the rubber. I never used hot before always bonding adhesive. I’m all ears thanks. Considering GAF TPO heat weld also.

if your just tieing your old rubber to new we just black glued the two together (dirty rubber always,never cleaned) then it was not too hard to pull them apart the next morning.if it was gonna rain or sit over the weekend we lap sealed that seam. i wouldnt use another type of membrane for a tieoff.

roof backwards, from top to bottom of pitch if it can’t be completed in a day. Overnight, put 2 by 4’s in the underside of each seam so as to create channels. temp splice the seams and weigh down with planking. In the winter (in cold weather climates), you have to tie in permanently and cut out the connections or ice will still back into it. You have to do this, of course, on your dollar.

Thanks for the advice. How about temping EPDM to tar/gravel? Thanks in advance.

use hot

If you are temping EPDM to EPDM, if at all possible backwater the seams and then use bonding adhesive. that way when you go to do the propper seam, you will have a nice clean seam to work with.

If you can’t backwater the seams, you can still use bonding adhesive.

[quote=“G-Tape”]If you are temping EPDM to EPDM, if at all possible backwater the seams and then use bonding adhesive. that way when you go to do the propper seam, you will have a nice clean seam to work with.

If you can’t backwater the seams, you can still use bonding adhesive.[/quote]

is “backwater” the channel way I was referring to?

What is backwater?

[quote=“Severance & Gallant R”]

[quote=“G-Tape”]If you are temping EPDM to EPDM, if at all possible backwater the seams and then use bonding adhesive. that way when you go to do the propper seam, you will have a nice clean seam to work with.

If you can’t backwater the seams, you can still use bonding adhesive.[/quote]

is “backwater” the channel way I was referring to?[/quote]

sweep the gravel,install a recovery board,and install base sheet and a 4-ply hot tar roof like roofboss said,forget the rest w/out the pitch you would have problems,once done (wait 60 days for curing)then install a white coating for extra protection

Backwater seam is when you make the seam against the flow of the water on the roof.

it IS channeling! thats simple farming technology… water can’t pass into the seam if you build resistance. The amount of weather coming changes the amount of resistance. All of life is relevant to other lives.

No matter what I do, I love to be the bull. I’m competitive and I always want to be the strongest man on the job, and thats why I usually am. Marathon strong. More, longer. I really love roofing, but I refuse to let go of the progress this industry has seen in the ways of safety and integrity and education. It is foolish to adjust to decivilization, in the long run at least.