New website - need opinions!

I just revamped my website, and would like honest opinions on it. I designed it myself, so it may lack the polish of the pro sites. It still has sample pics in some areas, but wanted to see if you guys would evaluate it! (as in hard/easy on the eyes, too generic, too much info, not enough, etc.) :wink:

Its at: lakesregionroofing.net

Thanks!

[quote=“lakesregionroofing”]I just revamped my website, and would like honest opinions on it. I designed it myself, so it may lack the polish of the pro sites. It still has sample pics in some areas, but wanted to see if you guys would evaluate it! (as in hard/easy on the eyes, too generic, too much info, not enough, etc.) :wink:

Its at: lakesregionroofing.net

Thanks![/quote]

Wow,

You did that yourself? That really is pretty good. I worked with web design for awhile and that is rather strong. What did you use to create it?

Thanks for the compliment!

I used Tripod web services. I know a little about HTML, so I could finesse some of the normal boring areas they normally provide. It took a little time to step back and look at it, before it started looking more professional.

[quote=“lakesregionroofing”]Thanks for the compliment!

I used Tripod web services. I know a little about HTML, so I could finesse some of the normal boring areas they normally provide. It took a little time to step back and look at it, before it started looking more professional.[/quote]

Yea, it really is pretty snazzy. I hired on someone for ours, truthfully I don’t know that its any better.

good looking site…
I thought I saw a few different web pages in your craigslist listings, but that might be what you have made changes on. I thinks it’s important that a customer can get most all that they need about you on the home page. and if they have specific questions, the links are there for that.

On a side note, i noticed you took a beating on craigslist yesterday by one of your stalkers.

Thanks! I tried to give important information that people usually want to know when they hit your first page… like you said.

I don’t like websites with small print that try to say WAY too much at once. It looks busy and confusing to a customer. I tried to set it up so its easy to read and appeals to the customer, not me or other roofers.

And yes… I did have a stalker on C/L! Thanks for noticing! I contacted C/L about it… Not sure what else to do at this point… the guy seems to have it out for me! Oh well! But, I’m sure he’s a just a jack leg worried I’m going to take what little work he has.

Take care! :smiley:

Before I say anything, let me qualify myself. I have been in the business of web design for several years.

I think the white text on the blue background is a little hard on the eyes. Probably not the best choice in color, in my opinion.

Your images should be optimized for the web. They need to be small so they can load quicker. Have you ever come across pages where you can actually see images load from top to bottom? Some folks will never sit still long enough to actually see them complete.

Here is a link to a speed report for your Home Page. It will let you know where the deficiencies are.

Try a simple to use software, Irfan View. It is a free utitlity too. Not a bad price, if you ask me.

@Casey- Your site is quite nice. It does suffer from the same image optimization problem. Some of your thumbnail images are over 30k each. Surprising that the designer did not take the time to run them thru the mill. I would ask them to rework them for you.

I appreciate your input… I too thought at first I should make the pics smaller for loading speed, but thought they would be too small to show much details. (But if no ones waiting for the page to load, I guess details don’t matter!) I’ve made all the images in the gallery smaller now…

I also checked out the site you suggested for speed, pretty interesting stuff! I wasn’t aware of that site. Thank you.

Now as far as white text on the blue background. Myself I find it pleasing and clean looking. I’ve tried black & grey, didn’t like it. I’m partial to the blue background, any suggestions on a different text color that won’t clash?

You can always use thumbnails for the images and when you click on them, they open up for the larger version. Look at Casey’s site for an example.

For the text coloring, could tone it down to #d0d0e0 as your color. Or go to the other end with #101020, which seems to blend well with fine print and italics. Try that out.

If you notice, there are three sets of numbers for each color. First is red, then green, last blue (RGB hexcode). I ramped up the blue in both cases, this tends to get rid of the glow around the text – especially finer print.

This is great… I like the input!

I reluctantly tried font color #101020 and it actually looked pretty decent. I couldn’t make myself change all the text to the same color, so I left some white text to break it up a bit.

I think I like it! Go ahead and check it, let me know what you think now.

I’m still looking at the FAQ page thinking something looks funny. Maybe too much black & white? I’m trying to keep the whole site color balanced thruout.

Yeppers. The new colors look tons better.

Unfortunately with Site Builder, the software injects boat-loads of FONT tags into the Html. Do a View Source of your pages and you will see them all over the place.

Ideally, you should use CSS stylesheets to define your font family/color just once. One change to the stylesheet affects the entire site. Not sure how Site Builder would react to that though, it will probably still inject the FONT tags.

If you really want to get serious about building your own site, you need to build it with a Html Editor that supports stylesheets.