New to Roofing, few questions

Hi. My name is Scott. New to the site. I have currently been in mortgage for 10+ years until I was recently laid off twice in the same month by 2 different companies. Worked for one for over 6 years, then landed a new job to get a call 2 weeks later they no longer needed me. So here I am. My best friend owns a roofing company and gives me 50% of the profit on any deal I get. So over the last couple years I have been trained and have sold a handful of roofs without ever really trying. Door knocked once for an hour, got a roof then the rest were friends and family deals that fell in my lap.

Well now that I am looking for a job I thought I’d give this roofing thing a go full time until something comes up. I have watched a ton of YouTube videos and read articles. And I have gone out knocking on doors everyday for the past week. I currently have 10 houses in which I talked to the home owner and did an inspection and waiting on them to file a claim and meet with the adjuster. That seems to be my biggest issue at the moment is getting people to go through with filing the claim. My biggest rebutle at the moment is they want to wait another month until storm season is over.

In addition to knocking on doors. I have been calling every realtor I see a sign for asking them to put me on their vendor list. So far so good. A few say they don’t currently have a roofer and will call me next time they need one.

So for only doing this full time for about a week or two. I feel like I’m headed in the right direction. But ultimately I’d eeally like to sell about 1 roof a week if I’m truly going to ever do this full time and make a living I am accustomed to.

So does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to make this work? Other than knocking doors and doing what I’m doing and contacting realtors and hoping to get deals handed to me in that way. Any other ideas? Also. How realistic is 1 roof a week for a full time roofer? How many hours a day/week must one really work to average that kind of outcome?

I suspect you are putting us on OR you really need some sales training. If your expectations are only for one job a week then you probably need to find another line of sales.

Sorry to clarify, I am hoping to get paid on one deal a week. I have been doing this exactly one week now and have averaged one inspection a day. But to be fair. I have only been knocking a few hours a day and it’s been in the middle of the day. I’m thinking I need to adjust and do later in afternoons and evenings for more contact? What’s typical roofer knocking schedule? So far I’ve had half decent luck talking to people and even getting a few inspections. But I have yet to get anyone to file a claim on the spot. So I ave a list of people I’m gonna have to follow up with. I’m just curious if I keep doing this 5 days a week as if it were a full time job. Is completing and eventually getting paid for one job a week doable?

Try actually selling roofs, not trying to get people to file insurance claims, you will go alot farther that way.

Spend at least 1 hour a day marketing to “The Gift That Keeps On Giving” Customers.
In other words, local insurance companies, realtors, and the biggie PROPERTY MANAGERS.
Work these hard and you will become an order taker instead of a salesman!

Awesome! Not sure why some of the responses seem negative. 1 roof a week is, on average, in Texas, a 6 figure job. So that’s an excellent goal. It’s realistic if you spend a decent amount of time canvassing. Once you get some income, you can hire personal canvassers and pay them $10 an hour and $25 per verified appointment/sit. That seems to be the going rate around here.

Insurance claims are your bread and butter, in my opinion. We offer financing and get cash deals as well, which is great, but we canvass every day for insurance claims. That’s just our point of entry and I think you are going about it right.

A 50/50 split is the best in the biz so that’s fair!

Average canvassing will be 10-15 hours a week (and you will sell more than 1, at least in southern Texas). Knocking doors is still the best way to get leads. Home and garden shows have worked for some people I know. Online leads/phone center stuff is an idea if you have a budget. But knocking doors every afternoon from 4-dark and on Saturdays is how you’ll make a living. Get a clipboard and sign people up for appointments for the next day, or later in the week.

Think about adding solar to your list of tricks…

Wow, thanks for the responses. So I went out every day this week. However, I only went out for about 2-3 hours a day and unfortunately I went out around 12-3pm. So I’ve since realized that’s probably not the best time and decided next week to go out later after people are home from work.

However, after one week of giving this a real shot I will say I am quite pleased with my results.

I knocked on a lot of doors, talked to a lot of people and for the most part had fairly good interaction and results from home owners. Very few people shut the door in my face surprisingly. I ended up doing about 10 inspections (one was my sister in law so hard to truly count it but I’m going to anyway lol). Of the 10 inspections I’d say only 1-2 of the houses were borderline totaled. Most should be totaled by insurance without a doubt. I found a good couple neighborhoods that were hit by hail last month 2 weekends in a row. So I’m just sticking to this area for the foreseeable future.

Of the 10 people I inspected, I got a verbal they will file the claim. But not sure if this is the best route or not to go? I’m wondering if I should try another approach to having them possibly file on the spot while I’m there? Seems like everyone liked me, was nice, trusted me, liked what I was saying etc. but have yet to have anyone actually file the claim. So I’m currently building a spreadsheet of people to follow up with next week.

That all said. I did make a lot of contact with realtors and hopefully have been added to a handful of them’s vendor list for the future. I didn’t think about insurance agent and property management companies. I’m going to work on that as well going forward.

I never thought about hiring someone else to do door knocking and setting up appointments for me. That’s not a bad idea at all. So far I seemed to have luck getting 1-2 inspections each time I have gone out and again, ive only gone out 2-3 hours a time and at bad times of the day as well. Seems very worth it to pay someone $20-$30 for an inspection/lead. Where do you guys go about finding someone? Seems like you’d want someone with potential and not just a random off the street.

Lastly. My best friend who owns the company really wants to get this husinsss off and going. But he works a full time job and has a family. So he stays pretty busy and doesn’t work it nearly as much as he would like to. That said. Our website and Facebook page are so bare minimum it’s not funny and really not even used. But I don’t want to go on Facebook and places and promote the companies sites because they just lead back to his phone number and email. So I was thinking of creating my own Facebook page and website but on my companies behalf. I guess kinda like a Mary Kay salesman would? Does that make sense? Anyone do this? I wouldn’t mind trying out some sponsorship and pay per click stuff. But if I do it, I want it to directly benefit me not just my buddy. Make sense? Any suggestions?

One more thing. What I have done so far is knock and basically do the inspections on the spot. Is there a benefit to doing the inspection a day or two later vs doing it right then and there while the homeowner is home and willing?

Some days I won’t be out until 6:30 pm. I’ll wrap it up at 8 pm (don’t really stay out past 8, even if it’s light). Just a quick hour or 2 is all you need if you’re on your game. I’ll set 3 or so appointments on a nice long street. I’m sure you’ve already seen some of those results.

You can easily find canvassers on craigslist. They’re good, but you need to put them on probation first, paying them only by the (verified, completed) appointment first. Then once they graduate, they get a salary.

I made our website on wix. It costs me $16 a month and it looks beautiful, I think. It’s just a standard template that they have. Check us out: www.ecosource.us

I would use a contract for homeowners. Legally it’s pretty flimsy, but it’s a sort of mental block. They sign the contract saying you’ll fight for their insurance $ and in return, if you get it for them, they’ll go with you.

I wouldn’t worry about “totaled” roofs. At least out where I live, we get little bits of hail and wind damage, so I file claims on about 80% of the roofs I inspect. I’m sorry to say this too, but it’s sort of a game. Some adjusters will buy your roof if they like you. Some adjusters, independent adjusters, actually get paid a commission if they buy the roof. Other in-house adjusters get bonuses on denials. But I file literally about 80% of the time, unless it definitely doesn’t have any damage. Some roofers may disagree with me but I have never gotten into any kind of trouble or had any issue with insurance co’s.

You should be filing the claim with the homeowner after the inspection. Call the insurance co., put it on speaker phone, and file the claim together. Have them sign the contract and you’re golden.

My first boss was with the largest roofing co. in Texas. He would NEVER let me set appointments same day. Couples need to talk about it, single people need to sleep on it. If they follow thru the next day, or later in the week, you know they’re serious. This is just the way I was trained but I worked for one of the best. Good luck

Thank you.

We have a contract. However I have yet to get anyone to sign it so quickly. Usually we get them to sign it after it’s been seen by the adjuster. Which again is probably the wrong thing to do. I’m going to work on trying to get them to file the claim on the spot and sign the contract. Just need to come up with a good pitch I guess. Currently I found something from Becca from roof sales mastery I’ve been using that seems to work pretty well. Basically I tell them tomorrow morning we’re installing a roof for a nearby neighbor and I’m just coming by to let you know there may be some trucks and noise in the area. Possibly some debris blow into your yard. Here’s my card if you need anything let me know. Then after they’re opened up and listening I say oh btw. This neighborhood was hit pretty hard by hail blah blah. Have you had anyone check it out? And go from there. It all seems to work well so far. Then I usually jump into saying well if you have about 15 mins I can hop up there and check it out for piece of mind. If you do indeed have damage I can walk you through the process of how to get your insurance to cover it. Then basically after I inspect it. I tell them how to file the claim, blah blah. And that’s where I’m at now. I have about 10 inspections I’ve done in my first week. But so far nobody’s filed a claim at least that I know of. But one lady I know for certain is going to tomorrow on Tuesday. She absolutely loved me. The others all seemed like they would. I’m just gonna have to keep following up with them I guess.

That’s great. But 10 inspections, you should definitely be filing almost 10 claims. I think you just need to approach it a little different. Set the appointment for the next day or 2, and let people know that you file for free with their insurance, so when you get up there and find damage, you guys will call in to the insurance co. and file. Keep reiterating that it’s free and risk free. Most people have no issue filing.

When I knock, I don’t usually say stuff like that. I know canvassers who literally say that word for word. “Oh we’re just down the street next week, so sorry in advance for the noise.” I personally just say, “Hi my name is Tanner with Ecosource. We’re doing free roof inspections here because there has been some wind and hail damage out here. Did you know that your insurance will actually pay for a new roof if you have any damage? And some damage is not visible from the ground. It can take the shape of tiny dents on the surface of your shingles…” etc.

Then when I’m back for the inspection, I take video and pics on the roof. Then I walk inside, set up my laptop/tablet, show them my website and go through the whole introduction. Then I get to their pictures, show them what their roof looks like, and I get out my phone and say, “So the next step is filing with your insurance.” Assume the close.

Get them to sign the contingency before you leave. I personally don’t even use the contracts unless it’s a cash/financing deal. But it’s a good habit to get into. Just tell people you’re making an honest living and you’re going to fight for their roof. This protects both you and the homeowner and it makes you honest. “This insurance agreement says right here that I can’t charge you extra for your roof. I have to do it for exactly what your insurance says its worth. So you can rest assured it’s a fair price, because insurance hates paying for stuff and they will never overpay. This protects you from overpricing, and it keeps me honest because your insurance company is involved too.”

So I have been door knocking for 2-3 weeks now. Still haven’t been going out for 8 hours a day. But I have been consistently going out for a good 3-4 hours a day. So far I have had decent luck. We had a recent hail storm last week with up to baseball size hail. So I have found neighborhoods with HUGE damage. But the problem is, so have 20 other roofers. I go in these neighborhoods and see sign after sign in yards and truck after truck drive by. But even so. I’m still out there knocking and seem to get at least 1-2 inspections every time I go out. Which I’m ok with. But where I struggle is getting them to file the claim on the spot. I get a lot of people saying they will file a claim and call me back with adjuster info so I can meet him back out. But then I don’t hear anything for a couple days and I have to keep following up. I see all these other yards with roofing signs in them. So I have to think they are getting claims and contracts signed. But I can’t figure out what they are doing differently than I am doing?

Our company is locally owned. Veteran owned and a cool name and logo. Red White and Roofing. I talked to them about neighbors. Show them pics of their damage. Talk to them about the dangers of their damage. Explain the claim process. Blah blah. But I’m just not getting that closing rate I’d like.

Any tips or suggestions?