New roof on older house in south florida ( gweedo ? )

roofing a 20 year old pitched roof on home built in 1974 by lennar , got 4 quotes for 40yr dimensional shingle ( gaf ) for 30 squares , quotes vary over 5k (9k,11,12 & 15k). all with the same materials and install. ?? what’s astounding is the low ball of 9k has spent the most time going over my concerns and has been in biz for 10 years local.my city inspectors know him and like him . my high ball (15k) simply said shingle prices are high and a shingle roof now cost as much as a tile one .? really ? all that aside i am looking for opinions on skylights for s.florida . my last home had two that leaked in 10 years and i dont want to have that again. also the bathrooms have no exhaust vents and want to make sure i get whatever holes in the roof i need while re-roofing . it wasnt until i began reading these forums and the answers from the pro’s did i even think to include a skylight in a bath that has no windows or even the exhaust fans. even when i thought i had it all thought thru i realized i still might be missing something , any input here would be greatly appreciated. as money is scarce and likely to get a whole lot more scarce in the near future and anything i don’t do during the re-roof will likely never get done . agian any pointers would be great . thanks in advance…

the house is mine , i am looking for the roofer and advice .

guys please stay on the topic please

-removed some of the posts-

was hoping for a little input instead of sarcasm . any pros out their care to share ?

sorry bkdg100,
im not sure what japoax is referin to,
your post seems fine to me.
im sure it is some misunderstandin
japoax does not give people a hard time.

answerin your post,
i am doin 30 sqs , 30 yr , rite now for 7 grand.
so what ever your payin over that
is someones overhead. i only like 30 year demensionals
40 and 50 yr shingle dont get used enough
and they dont out last 30yrs here in fla…

you can pm me with pics if you like.

gweedo.

You want to be told that the 9k figure is ok and acceptable and your roof will be alright.

No other response will be acceptable to you…

Sorry, but that will not be my opinion.

The 9k is too low.
The 15k is too high.

12k sounds about right for 40 year in south florida.
The more government intervention… the more your roof cost.

Im in north florida, and your roof would be under 11k range if its not too steep.

It cost more in south florida.

gweedo appreciate the input . i agree shingle in s.fl dont last near the specified term . but in looking around i do notice the 40 yr holds color better and stains less. my inquiry was to make sure i was no over looking anything that older homes did not have when built versus newer homes ( bathroom exhaust, powered vents, ect. ) also info on skylights for s.fl . roofer said he will cut in cheap if i do inside frame up , so wanted anyones input on these things and as well as what is a reasonable charge on things .

sorry rlover,
should have ask were poster was from first.
pardon me.

gweedo.

[quote=“roof-lover”]You want to be told that the 9k figure is ok and acceptable and your roof will be alright.

No other response will be acceptable to you…

Sorry, but that will not be my opinion.

The 9k is too low.
The 15k is too high.

12k sounds about right for 40 year in south florida.
The more government intervention… the more your roof cost.

Im in north florida, and your roof would be under 11k range if its not too steep.

It cost more in south florida.[/quote]

no , not looking for re-assurance that i should take the low ball , i was suprised the 9k was the most informative and open about things . going to go look at some of his work friday . i was more concerned about covering mt future needs with any extras so i thought i would ask the pro’s what they would think to add if it was their home. cant afford a metal roof but dont want to later wish i had an extra vent or skylight . i am a wire guy been designing rf and data distribution systems for over 20 yrs , i get a lot of calls for my opinion on wire , but i dont offer opinions on things i know little to nothing about . but i do know that more expensive does not guarantee better .

gweedo pm you some pics

i would like to know how you spot a 40 yr from a
30 yr.
i cant even do that.

gweedo.

knock on front door and ask. after lastbig storm a whole neighborhood near me was done so while out yard shopping saturday during a community yard sale the conversation came up with one guy, he and i walked from house to house talked with his neighbors.all the houses had some ficus over hang thats where i noticed the stain resistance. the loss of color was people telling me about how it looked better the first two years then seemed to dull.i mostly had their word but a couple of people pulled out paper work and sample charts .
not shy about asking as you can see here …

skylight with curb for shingle install , best bang for the buck and easiest to frame up from the underside ? any veteran input , thanks …

when you say re-roofing do you mean you are putting a 2nd layer over the 1 layer on the roof now?

no, thats just my ignorance. its a tear-off and re-shingle. hoping for some input on what a roofer would add to his own home when he tore the roof off …

I don’t notice any difference between a 30 and 40yr shingle.They feel the same and look the same.You have to jump to a 50yr to see a difference.

would 40yr to 50 yr be a big jump in price also ?

ANy time you go from a 30 to a 40 to a 50 there will be a price jump. Somewhere between 40 to 60 a sqaure for the 50 vs the 40.

all rite its good to know your neighboor.

mite not be a good idea to pattern roof after
roofers roof.
as far as stains and mildew, i like cutting back/down the trees best. letting the sun dry roof out.
dont like foliage over house. holds moisture , helps rott things, causes mildew.

i just havent been able to determine what shingle
doesnt mildew on said roof.

in other words i dont beleive you can pick out a shingle that will mildew the least.

i am not a mildew expert.

please no 50 year shingles.
for some reason they crack and crumble up faster than 30s
i dont like 50 yr shingles.
they just put more granuals and tar on the bottom of the shingle, to make it thicker.
when i repair 50 yr roofs they will look good but when you try to lift a shingle they seem to crumble more than when repairiin 30 yr shingle.
i have had to tear off 50s before, they
just crumble up to easy.

i dont like 50s.

gweedo.

I deleted the post that I was referring to… sorry I forgot to mention that it was deleted. anyway thanks for help guys …