New Roof...Is this normal?

Hello folks. Just had a new roof installed with OC Duration Premium shingles. Roofing company is a well respected, 20 year old company that was researched and referenced. My house measures about 54x27 with a gable roof porch which creates two valleys. Old roof was 3 tab shingle and arrow straight. After job was complete, climbed on roof and found oil lubricant spots that had leaked out of nail gun. Also ridge cap was somewhat wavy (not too bad) and porch side of roof is out of whack, not like before. Called contractor and they said nail guns leak lubricant sometimes and it will wash off after a few rains. Is this true? Also, does the dimensional shingle alter the horizontal line as shown in pic? Thanks very much for your time and expertise.http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/0/4/7/2/7/webimg/61174921_o.jpghttp://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/0/4/7/2/7/webimg/61174855_o.jpg

shingles on porch are very crooked. (disappearing courses at peak) it looks like they tried to correct it about 5 courses down at the valley on the laft…but to no availe. none of my guns do that and if they did it would get them fixed. i have seen much worse though.

very sloppy work.

pretty crooked you might wanna check how close they put some of the seams near the valley

Hmmm, my Estwing doesn’t leak oil…

Mwuhaha!

Seriously though… Last I checked oil was a petroleum based liquid and mixing such things with asphalt is a no-no. Pour motor oil on your hands and then run them under water. Doesn’t rinse off too good I bet.

2 things… advise your roofing company to invest in some chaulk lines next time to keep the courses straight and #2 - that oil from the guns is not gonna wash off… like previously posted… water and oil don’t mix. Have them replace all the shingles that are damaged. They are trying to pull one over on you. I never have nail guns leaking oil. We put oil in the feed line at the beginning of the day and at lunch but it looks like they have issues that caused that much oil to drip all over.

That is going to be a challenge to pull those durations apart. It is hard for me to pull apart my oakridge pros. I heard the surenail technology strip really bonds well.

The rain washed not the oil from roof. The oil and shingles it`s base petroleum. The first make the second broken. I think the replace the shingles with oil is a good idea.

there as straight as a dog pissin in the snow pmsl

Thanks to everyone that replied. If I’m understanding correctly, the oil spots can harm the shingle? Can they replace just the stained shingles or is that more trouble than it’s worth? If this is just a looks issue and the roof will still perform as it should and still comply with OC’s warranty, do you think it’s appropriate to ask for a partial refund? I paid a total of $5500 which included tear off, dump fee, 2 new sheets of sheathing, weatherlock in valleys and around chimney, #30 felt, two boots, flashing and shingles. Maybe a 10% - 15% refund?

This was really disappointing as this company is considered one of the best in town. Member of the BBB, references out the wazoo, certified contractor by all the brand name shingle companys, etc. I think part of the problem was they were undermanned (4 men, 3 women) and it took 11 hours to do the roof in 90 degree weather. I heard talk after they got there that they were short handed and not happy about it. They were obviously tired toward the end of the day and I think they got sloppy. Gotta say, I expected much better workmanship.

the roof wont leak in anyway am sure its just a few minor issues you have i dont think it merits a refund , id say u want the issues sorted before final payment

the oil spots will never come out or was off.
the shingles need to be swaped out. you can only do this when it is cold. i don’t know your climate but at least under 50 degrees if possible. the old 3-tabs took skill to get looking nice in two directions. some guys only worry about how it looked from the ground.
with these arcitctual shingles eveyones a roofer. they should put a tape and a chalk line in the box with the gun. they would probably get thrown out with the paper that says not to spill petrolium products on the shingles.
you may be better off keeping a couple hundred have a different roofer swap out the shingles and let the crooked shingles lie.

You ‘old timers’ from this board are disappoinying me! G Tape! LoL

OK, that said, crappy roof.

Your contract probably states something to the effect of a watertight envelope, however a bum ridge line isn’t going to
A) affect your watertight seal
B) be visible from the ground (if you’ve got a 2nd story window that will allow looking down, then yeah… bad news for them, IMO).

The big problem is the oil. No, it’s not going to wash off. It has probably seeped into the shingles by now & do need a replacement. I suggest you first tell the installing / selling contractor & tell them you’re going to contact the mfg & ask them to come look @ the work. That should get them interested…

If that doesn’t work, then DO call because if they’re selling a mfg’s warranty then the mfg. should be inspecting the quality of the work.

That’s my suggestion.

Oh, & yeah… crappy looking roof.

what type of ventilation is on this ? Hard to tell by pictures. if ridge, what style -? doesn’t look fimiliar.

I agree - have them fix the darn roof - just goes to show even the best roofer with all the right stuff can screw up… no lets see if they come out and fix it like they should.

Bum looking ridge cap BTW

[quote=“OgieOglethorp”]I paid a total of $5500 which included tear off, dump fee, 2 new sheets of sheathing, weatherlock in valleys and around chimney, #30 felt, two boots, flashing and shingles…

I think part of the problem was they were undermanned (4 men, 3 women) and it took 11 hours to do the roof in 90 degree weather. I heard talk after they got there that they were short handed and not happy about it. They were obviously tired toward the end of the day and I think they got sloppy. Gotta say, I expected much better workmanship.[/quote]

I’m not sure the problem was that they were undermanned. For $5500 to tear off and replace 2 sheets of sheathing, that roof can’t be more than 20-22 square tops. 25 if you got a steal of a deal. And 7 people needing 11 hours to do it? Sounds more like the way so many companies operate now. They think “I could get one solid roofer for x amount of dollars, or I could get two cheap guys for the same price, and 2 is always better than one…” Then things get sloppy (and I can kinda understand, hey if I was getting half scale, I’d probably have a hard time focusing and caring too much either.)

I’d say it doesn’t matter if the oil will do damage or not. It’s the principle of the thing. You paid for a clean new roof. Not one with stains. If you bought a new car and then the dealership dropped something on it and dented the hood, would you say “well, it didn’t effect the engine in anyway so it’s fine” or would you demand it be fixed?

Terrible job. need to separate tear off crew from from roofing gun and hire some journey level shinglers.Make them fix it if they have any one that knows how.yikes…

Reguardless it is a poor job. I dont care how out of square a home is, it is the roofers job to make it look straight. As far as the oil that should have never happened. Will it hurt the roof the way it is. No. Is it right to do that type of work. No. Should it be redone, Gonna have to tear alot of that roof up to redo it so no. I just would not reccomend them for anything else.

Kevin - I am disappointed in your reply. The customer pays the bill and expects top notch service and install. This obviously is not top notch and you expect the customer to accept it. I would pay money to hear you try to weasle your way out of this one with a homeowner. It can be fixed and fixed correctly and surely should be. Just will take time and materials at the roofers expense.
Is this how you would seriously handle this situation with the company you work for now ? Maybe those BBB complaints are real with your company and not fabricated if this is how you would leave the job for the customer.
I’m disappointed in you… :frowning: your a professional at this and you make that recommendation ? Has the 95 degree heat gotten to you and your thinking ? Get some water and get hydrated… then rethink what you replied.

…or learn how to shingle. :?