New Roof Done. Couple Questions

Hello All…

I had a new roof put on last week by a well known company and I have come across a couple problems and have a couple questions.

1. I requested that a drip edge be installed. It was never installed. The company delivered the rake drip edge, but never delivered the eave drip edge. The drip edge that was delivered sat in the driveway the whole time, but was never installed. I am sure they will come install it, but my question is can it be installed correctly after the shingles have been installed? Also, am I correct in stating that the rake drip edge should be installed over the paper while the eave drip edge installed under the paper?

2. None of the flashing was replaced. They reused all of the flashing/ step flashing. This includes the flashing around two skylights. I am pretty sure I requested that the flashing be redone and the quote said flashing was included. Is this common practice and should I have any worry?

3. I had a buddy and his crew start replacing wood rot and paint the house today. He came to me and showed me a couple of problems. He pulled out several shingles that were never nailed down. A lot of them were on the edge of the rake.

4. He also showed me that the original flashing around the chimney (not brick, that hardboard type) was done incorrectly and that water from rain, the day before, was running in. He also showed me how they were using 1 piece of flashing per two shingles and demonstrated how the water would get under the shingles.

5. I have found nails that are not under the overlapping shingle. I assume these will be a problem over time.

6. The flashing on the sides of two dormers is stick out on the front side of the dormers. This may be ok, but it looks like crap with pieces of white flashing on a black roof. I wish I had a picture of this one.

My main question is what would you do in my situation and are these minor repairs or things that are going to take considerable work to fix. I have not received a bill yet, so no money had been exchanged yet. I’m aggravated enough to tell them to rip it all off and start again, but I know that may be a little extreme. It was obviously rushed and I have lost confidence the whole job…

Thanks in advance for any advice!

if the contract says that they are using new flashing then you should make them come back and redo the flashing.
Also 1 piece of flashing per two shingles might give you problems in the future.
It sounds like a hack job to me.
Definitely call them back and address your concerns.

I think that you are in an area that does not commonly use drip edge.

I am not sure, I don’t live there…

If you requested drip edge and it is in the contract, they should have installed it.
This is a major sticky situation since putting on drip edge after the fact is a major undertaking to do it correctly.
If you have a steep cut up roof it only gets worse…
What type of facia do you have?
Can you see the edge of the sheeting under the shingles?

[quote]2. None of the flashing was replaced. They reused all of the flashing/ step flashing. This includes the flashing around two skylights. I am pretty sure I requested that the flashing be redone and the quote said flashing was included. Is this common practice and should I have any worry?
[/quote]

If it is in the contract to install new flashing they should have removed the old flashing, installed new flashing, and replaced the siding on the walls.

It is common practice to reuse existing flashings.
We all do it no matter what some would have you believe…
Whether to reuse existing flashing or install new is a judgment call.
Some have better judgment than others…

However, if it is in the contract to install new flashings, new flashings you will get.
If it is not in the contract it is a judgment call on the roofers part.

Strike #3

Doesn’t sound good.

Possible high nailing.

We would need a picture to tell, there are a few acceptable ways to do this detail.
Doesn’t sound too good though.

He who has the money has the power.
Fixing the (non existent) drip edge and installing new flashings is a major undertaking.
I think that you got a sub crew and were talking to a salesman.