New roof did not pass inspection

So when I replace this roof, I will discuss about getting 8d nails in place of the staples. That could be part of the problem with the roof now.

The home inspector also told me that he doesn’t recommend replacing large sections of shingles to repair this roof because the new shingles will have a different color appearance from the existing shingles, something about they have different lot numbers.

We use exterior decking screws on all our redecks for the last 5 yrs or so. Always know if you miss…won’t ever rust…and guaranteed not to back out. Staples work great…but don’t meet most codes.

So to update everyone, the new roof installation is in progress and no issues seen so far.

What did we find out about the first bad installation?

#1 #30 felt did not have enough caps installed. This was causing the bulged shingles and wavy roof.
#2 Sheathing was not nailed down properly after first tear off.
#3 Chimney flashing was installed incorrectly.

For the new shingles that have been installed, no issues with bulging or wavy roof. Yay!!

What I don’t understand about the first installation, good starter shingles were used. Drip edge was good quality, Even the felt was good quality. Why would the contractor or roofer try to go cheap on the shingles and hired labor? He could have prevented future legal issues and this could have been a good outcome and good review for quality work. What a waste.

Why, he used cheap labor and materials was to make more money. We compete against guys like that every day. Why they use subs is so they do not need to pay workers comp.

We explain to customers upfront that our bid is going to be more expensive than some competition. Our estimatoras explain that we do not use any sub contravtors, only use top grade materials, replace all flashing with every job, only use copper on masonry walls, etc. A smart educated customer understands that and want the best job, others just want the cheapest price and we move on.

There is a local radio ad running for some company claiming to do all residential roofs in one day. I don’t know how that would appeal to anyone who has any clue about roofing, details take time to do correctly and should not be rushed.