New roof did not pass inspection

Get ready for court. One additional concern that you may not notice yet is asphalt displacement. This occurs when the pallets of shingles are stacked to high. The weight squishes the asphalt. After a few thermal movement cycles of expansion and contraction the shingles get more and more “wavy” due to the inconsistency of the asphalt layer. Sue the hell out of them for the entire roof, the loss of decking reusable cycles, and your trouble. Guys like this give the good guys a bad name and make it impossible for us to make a living with their low cost shity work.

Thanks DaddyD. Now they want to come out and replace 50% of the roof shingles. Slice the felt to remove the wrinkles. The wrinkles are all over the roof. That’s a lot of slicing. I’ve read this method is more prone to roof leaks. They came out a couple of weeks ago with HD shingles. I told their roofer that my shingles were “Natural Shadow”. He was told that I had HD shingles. So repair had to be rescheduled. Didn’t even tarp the roof leak that I have. It’s a disaster.

If they are taking the shingles off to slice the felt common sence would be to replace the felt, not that your roofer seems to have any common sence. It is common to slice a wrinkle or two to prevent ripples in the finished product. The idea of removing the shingles, having th felt full of nail holes and tears, and the to slice it up totally negates the purpose of having underlayment in the first place. Have you spoken to your local building inspector about your situation, assuming the roofer pulled a permit?. I would run there “solution” past the building inspector because in my mind that does not meet code.

Sounds like you are well on the right track.
Yes, you corrected a disaster when you caught the HD/ natural shadow difference.
Good job!
Also the roofers are correct in how to solve the issue.
to remove the shingles in the areas where the felt needs to be sliced.
Now the company has learned they should have done that in the first place.

I agree with MPA. These wrinkles are all over the roof. When only 20% of the roof may pass as being correctly installed, I think it should be reroofed. MPA, I highly doubt these people pulled a permit. I didn’t know at the time but I was responsible for any accidents that occurred on this job. Here is a pic from yesterday (left side of the house):

My neighbor said it looks like the movie “Tremors”, where those monsters are under the ground. Haha

Those seem to be the outline of the plywood sheeting. I don’t think the issue is in the felt as its too uniform.

That is clearly the decking showing through, someone else will have to tell you why. Did they replace all the decking on this side? Some? None?

As a homeowner, at this point you need to tell them they have to A) rip everything off on every side that has any issues at all (so, everything basically) and start over and get it right and after an INDEPENDENT inspection confirms its right, they will get the rest of the money or B) they can choose to leave and you will see them in court.

Personally, I would make “A” so onerous that they choose to leave. Let me be the one that breaks it to you: they will NEVER do a good job and you will NEVER be happy, you are wasting your time here. It’s happened to us all. It is the worst, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. It took me a long time to realize this. Time to fold em.

Throw them off the job, get a new roofer. What does your insurance company say about all this mess (they just cut a check and its your problem?) and what does the building inspector say about all this (you have a permit right?)

I do appreciate everyone’s comments. You’ve all been very helpful with helping me figure out what is wrong with my roof installation. I don’t agree with the roofing contractor that wants to do patchwork on 50% of the roof. Not for the price he is charging me. I have a question about the shingles in this picture. Does this look like the shingle pattern is correct? This is one of the areas that they are not going to redo.

If a roofer did that to my house id find where he lived and kill him in his sleep.

Did you pull a permit? Did they request a final inspection from you local government building inspectors? Did they ok that stuff? I would think they would be on your side. Where im at they wouldnt “make” them tear it off and start all over, theyd just inform them that they wouldn’t be passing final inspection until they did.

It looks like the shingles were “racked” which is a no no with this type of shingle.

Racked means a stagger that alternates back and forth as opposed to a stair step type pattern, it’s purely aesthetic but it show that they don’t really care too much about what they are doing.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t want to seem too picky but this roof makes me sick every time I have to look at it. I am going to ask them about the permit. It will not shock me if they didn’t get a permit. I think my contractor (which was a trusted family member) used his general laborer that may have been a helper on a roof job before and some guys they picked up outside of Home Depot to install this roof. Now I will ask for a complete re-roof.

What makes you think they are racked? I see no evidence of racking, although the resolution on my laptop is far from the best! lol

Last Saturday, I went to run an errand and had never seen the roof from this distance at the right time of day. This was scary and embarrassing to know that people passing by on the street are seeing this. They probably think I got had by storm chasers.

If I were you I would recommend going up in your attic and seeing if there is anything releasing moisture in your attic. I’ve been saying the whole time those are the individual pieces of sheeting (nothing to do with the shingles or the felt) telegraphing through. It is the worst case I’ve ever seen. I suspect there is something going on causing them to swell, perhaps some duct work came loose or something of that nature. You can rip that entire roof off and replace and I’d bet $ that those same humps will still be there. They very well could have existed before your roof was torn off, average homeowners hardly ever pay attention to their roofs.

Another possibility is that your sheeting is very poorly nailed and that the cause of the humps. Again, you should go up in your attic, check out if your sheeting is nailed tight to your trusses.

The way the laminates are stacked on one another, they certainly didn’t follow the instructions for the stagger.

This is what a racked laminate usually looks like.

I suspect sheeting that wasn’t nailed off and it’s probably been that way since it was constructed, perhaps the other shingles or the felt hid it better.

I have torn off roofs that the sheeting wasn’t nailed off.

IslandRoofing, my contractor also did the interior work which consisted of replacing drywall in 3 rooms that were damaged. The work on the interior was done almost as bad as the roof. These guys forgot to cut out the HVAC vent in the bathroom, which has not been fixed yet, and they put the ceiling insulation in backwards. Plus, I lost alot of blown in insulation on that side too. So I suspect that part of the problem is with attic ventilation. Also the roofers originally shingled over two ridge vents and that wasn’t corrected until after a good two weeks of 90+ temperatures, I’m not even sure what damage was caused there.

Axiom, I had my insurance adjuster come out and he took pictures of the rafters from the attic and had an architectural engineer review them, that said the rafter looked ok. He suspected when the roof installers pulled up the old felt that they may not have nailed the sheathing back down correctly.

I have torn off roofs that the sheeting wasn’t nailed off.

Can you explain how to tell if sheeting is not nailed off and could this have been fixed during the roof installation?

When the roof is being torn off the sheeting will lift and when applying fasteners the roof deck kinda bounces back, it’s pretty easy to see if the sheeting is nailed off or not.

This happens because the framers will normally tack nail the sheeting and come back and nail it off later, sometimes parts get missed.

So when you come across sheeting that is not nailed down what can be done to fix it?

After the shingles and underlayment are torn off the loose decking is simply nailed with 8d or better nails, this is done before the new underlayment is applied.