New House Roofing Problem

We are having our first home built for us by a builder.

They finally got the shingles on the roof, but I went to look at them today, and they are visably two different colours. One is a chesnut verigated roofing and the other is more of a flat federal brown.

I went to the office to question this, and they said they would call the builders and find out what’s going on. I am very concerned.

First off, why didn’t a supervisor see exactly what I saw when I was only on-site for 15 minutes tops? Why would roofers put two different kinds of shingles on a house at all, knowing that they wouldn’t look the same?

That aside, I am asking that they replace everything, from the felting to the tar paper and the shingles. They want to shingle over it, but I know that in 15 years when I go to redo the roof, I’ll have to pull everything off and it will cost three times as much than if they can just put on new shingles. I need an opinion on whether that is too demanding, or if I am right to demand that they start over. Likely this will delay my house another two weeks, and will pretty much seal the fact that I won’t have my house by Christmas, but this is my first home… something I have scrimped and saved for. I want it to be my first and only home.

I’m so upset about the whole thing, and it really makes me wonder what else they are not catching… But what should I reasonably expect from the roofing? Should I be worried, or does this happen more often then people realize?

weird description of color differences here… mixed batches? sometimes its easier to see things from afar than up close to it, like as if youre right on top of them installing them. No need to start from scratch, I wouldnt do that if you asked me to. The felt and accessories are probably not damaged if they want to save those. Going over the roof cuts the life expectancy dramatically. If theyre architect shingles, dont even bother trying to go over them no matter what they say.

Have them remove the shingles if they don’t match. You are buying a house with a new roof, not one with two roofs!

I can tell you from experience, it is best to constantly inspect your house during construction. I got to know my builder, but tried not to be a nuisance to him. I was around often, and my house has experienced very few problems. Others in the neighborhood haven’t been as fortunate as I have been so far. My next door neighbor had a plumbing problem and had to have here slab jackhammered up in places to solve the problem…

My best advice is to make almost daily visits, don’t be a pain in the ass, and only bring up problems that are real problems. My builder was cool enough to allow me to insulate all of my interior walls after the plumbing and electrical inspections, but I only had one night before the drywallers came in to work. Still, my contract could have fallen through, not that the extra insulation would have bothered anyone. Now, I can shut off unused rooms and save on A/C, not to mention the soundproofing qualities of the insulation. I know I’ve gone off on a tangent, but just thought I’d pass along some good advice regarding insulation…now is the time to beef up on your R-value before the walls are finished, that is if it isn’t already too late.

I try to visit at least three times a week on my lunch breaks (I work only 10 minutes away) and I’ve been trying to keep a close watch. I don’t bother them at all, bought them some soda once and just take a lot of pictures hoping that will be enough. I don’t want to be screwed.

We were scheduled to do a walk through this weekend so that I could take a picture of where all of the electrical is in the walls in case we want to do work later so we know where everything is. I did upgrade all of the insulation with the builder (which was a major hassle, but one I felt was important) and upgraded the windows and doors as well as some other things they were trying to economize.

I am going to live in this house, hopefully forever. I want it done right the first time. And I don’t want to have to completely redo the roof in 15 years. The builders haven’t called back yet, but I am sure that they are upset that “some chick” is telling them it wasn’t done right. I heard the guy in the background on the phone cussing about having to possibly redo it. But now I am worried that that it will be like sending your food back at a restaurant… just not a good idea in general as it invites ire from the people behind the scenes.

I also was not suggesting you allow them to go over the first layer, just saying dont even take a concession on the price if they offer it to go over architects.

The site Supervisor called me this morning and said that the shingles were most definately different colours, and he apologized profusely for the error. He will be calling the roofing contractors today to have them come out, pull off all the shingles that were the wrong colours and put the right colour on. Of course, it’s raining today… go figure.

I’ve never had a problem with roofers before. A tree had fallen on my parents home when they were out of town, and I had no problems getting estimates or getting the work done. This just came as a surprise to me, because it’s such a blatently obvious mistake.

Cerebus,

I have vaulted celings in my master bedroom, is there anything they should be putting between the roof and the celing other than the same insulation they are using in the walls? It seems a little thin to me, but you’d know more than I would.

There are other types of insulation you can use, and there are some insulation board products that have a reflective facer that is supposed to help. However, I generally specialize in low-sloped roofs and only get involved with shingles when I have to on condominiums and such. So, as much as I hate to say this, I’m sure there are some shinglers here that could give you a better answer than I can.

Now, with regard to installing the roof sheathing, here is one product:

lpcorp.com/lpstructuralprodu … rrier.aspx

youre clearly from the uk so ill be polite and say it doesnt suprise me that its raining there today. thats a fact here. it rains there.

anyhow, those shingles need to be ripped off, end of story. if they can pull the shingles off without damaging the accessories I think that is acceptable. I’m right now 4 hours ago today dealing with two of my best friends with the same EXACT experience as me (12 years) and trained by the same person as me let me down today, and I thought they would use better judgement. And I know these people. Roofers just want to get as much work as they can done as quickly as possible and ask for a raise and go home. You can tell them until your blue that quality is more important but they dont listen. Sounds like the contractor is willing to listen and agree, he’s won half the battle. Now its his job to enforce. Play it out and see where it goes for a little while. I’m the jerk of my company because I rip guys work off and they dont like it but so be it, i plan for it. My partner takes the fall with me so I think he’s starting to get it, I’ll finish it myself and cut all ties from everything if thats what it takes. It’s all business and my name is on everything and I risk everything on my abilities. Point is, youre getting some answers for now. He’s taking responsibility. Get back to us on how he deals with it.