New Here...Please Help!

I have been lurking here for the past 6 months trying to become “roofing literate”…enough to post a message.

My new roof was completed last November during a snow storm. Old cedar shakes torn off, new plywood deck put down, Elk 30-year shingles applied. Contract says “check for any damaged or rotted wood and replace…” Also contracted for tear down of front porch and rebuild of same.

Company is licensed, insured and gives 10-year workmanship guarantee. “Master shingler on every job.” No permits or inspections were necessary. And, this was the second highest bid we received…the 10-year warranty was the deal maker.

My house is almost 200 years old and we expected that additional work would be necessary. Salesman who signed the contract had left the business before work started. Owner was on the job, working, about 25% of the time.

After the snow melted this past April, I was able to get a closer look at the roof and the problems shown in my pics (I am having trouble posting these.) Contacted the company 5 or 6 times summer and was promised that someone would come “the next week” to address my concerns. Sent a registered letter in Sept. asking for reply in 10 days but received no reply.

Am I just too fussy? What do you experienced roofers think about the workmanship? Please ask any questions…I am trying to keep this post short. Believe me, I could go on and on about plywood left in the rain, uncovered, for 5 days…etc. What do I do next?

Thanks you for your input.

Lorihttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/lori8288/roofing%20pics/50f221cc.jpghttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/lori8288/roofing%20pics/0ba2d61c.jpghttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/lori8288/roofing%20pics/6def8ebb.jpghttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/lori8288/roofing%20pics/EW.jpghttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/lori8288/roofing%20pics/2f17b5ac.jpghttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/lori8288/roofing%20pics/Copyof-2.jpghttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/lori8288/roofing%20pics/SARAHSPICS090_1.jpghttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/lori8288/roofing%20pics/SARAHSPICS075_1-1.jpg

well i was almost going to say “maybe your a little fussy”, until i saw the overlapping of demensional shingles.
the hump i can live with, the nails pokin through sophit i can live with, the shingle lifted at the corner i can live, but i cant stand to see shingles overlaped.
having said all that. it doesnt look like your in any
danger of leakage, just cosmetic issues.
find youself a good roofer in your neighborhood,
and he/she can probably make things look better.

gweedo.

Do I try to make them honor their 10-year guarantee on workmanship? It sort of sticks in my craw to pay another roofer after paying $12,000.00 (reroof house and garage only, not new porch w/roof, that was another $6,000) to this outfit.

The plywood/roof deck on the porch ceiling has wet spots when it rains…I think it shows in the pic. Now that the rotten area has shown up, I have a lot of concern over that.

Thanks so much for the input…this is the best site (and most polite) that I have found on the web. About half of my pics didn’t show up…I am neither a roofer or a computer expert!!!

Lori

Hi Tori,
If you send all your pictures to me via email I would be happy to post them all for you in this thread.
Send them to james@adeptroofing.com

The pics I see show some very sloppy workmanship.
This alone is not cause for calling them on there warranty, but if your roof is showing signs of leaking by all means make them honor the warranty.

I think it’s everything to do with calling them back on their Warranty, prob is no calls back - no excuse

how big is you house again?
18,000?
ouch. better be 3 0r 4 thousand sq ft.
or you got gouged.
there are laws against that.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]how big is you house again?
18,000?
ouch. better be 3 0r 4 thousand sq ft.
or you got gouged.
there are laws against that.

gweedo.[/quote]

Cedar shake tear-offs on old houses are very expensive.
They usually have 2-4 layers of asphalt over the cedar…
In my area $500/sq for something like this is the norm, and they are frequently much more…
If there is a lot of wood work and ventilation work to be done they can approach $1,000/sq.
There is always the removal and replacement of siding involved, and it is usually 3" exposed cedar.
Soffit work.
Facia and sub-facia work.
All new flashings.
The ever popular crown molding.
It adds up quick.

This is a special animal.

Judging by the sloppy workmanship in the photos I doubt Lori got much in the way of ventilation or wood work.
It looks like a lowballers job…

Im confused lore you said “Old cedar shakes torn off, new plywood deck put down” then you said “after paying $12,000.00 (reroof house and garage only” I am confused at your wording. Did they reroof the house or tear it off and start fresh?

Also something that I find sort of fishy although ALOT of people dont is companies who do more than roofing. Im not including things like siding soffit and fasica cause thats all within the same type of work but those who I have seen do concrete work, demolition, build things like a porch. It always seem they take too much on and instead of being great at one thing are good at many things.

Anyways, is this a company that is really busy or do you think they are just avoiding you entirely since they have been paid already.

Images submitted at lori8288’s request

First, thank you all for trying to decipher my post and taking the time to reply!

As to the job, the old shakes were torn off, the old wood sheathing–such as it was–was left intact. New plywood decking was put on over top and new shingles over that. There were two separate contracts, one for roofing the house and garage and one to demolish the front porch and rebuild a new one in its place.

This is a really old farm house, and my guess on square footage would be 1800 square feet including the detached garage. It was built about 200 years ago. One repair leads to another…and we expect this after 25 years of living here. We did NOT expect the finished roof to make our home look like new construction, we just wanted the best job possible…done by professionals. We are not DIYers,
we learned this early on…so we save up our money and
pay others to do what we can’t. This was a lot of money for us, but we wanted the job done right.

The company we hired does new construction, remodeling, siding and roofing. It seemed wise to contract with an outfit that could address any structural issues that arose once the job got underway. That is why the contract says “check for any damage or rotted wood…” We did sign a change order to have 5 rafters sistered in on our old well room at the additional cost of $900.00. On the final day of the job, the owner asked if we wanted to spend the additional money to have the rotted fascia and rafter ends replaced across the front of the main part of the house. We certainly did and asked for another order to be written up. That never happened and they never returned. I believe they anticipated the gap that would–and did–open up between the roof edge and the fascia(?) and knew the problem should have been addressed earlier. They also promised to return and repair our front stone steps which they broke apart when rammed into them with a piece of equipment used to remove the old porch. They never returned.

To answer BAMBAMM5144’s question…it is my gut feeling that they are avoiding me because they have been paid and do not want the hassle of honoring their guarantee. You know, it is a real kick in the pants when you realize you are not as perceptive as you thought you were.

If I have to, I can live with the “cosmetic” things, but the rotting porch ceiling and the warped plywood on the front of my roof are real problems.
So, do I start with a complaint to the Better Business Bureau? Do I contact the company one more time “threatening” to take this further? Or do I just wait until I see them working on a big, fancy house (which I have 2-3 times this year) and jump out of my car ranting and raving???

Again, thanks for your interest and your time.

Lori

i read ya Ax,
but a 1000 a sq in this economy?
im just not down with it.

gweedo.

Well if they do not want to respond to your request for them to repair the mis-nailed plywood and other several problems previously stated. I would send certified mail a letter stating your intentions. If the company is not LLC or INC there will be problems you can create personally for him. Since a claim in court is more than likely what will happen, be prepaired to hire a GOOD laywer that knows the construction laws. You will have to go after assets of the company and hope he does not just shut the business down and re open in a new name, because that happens often. Over all it is a sloppy job and the nails should never be seen.

For one thing the shingle overlap is not correct, it should be a minimum of 1/4 inch at the eave and 3/4 at the rake edge with that style of drip edge, it could wick up the roof in a winter situation.

Either way i would have the building department come out and show you all the problems with the roof, also have another roofing company or consultant come out and give what they see. The more ammo you have when you send your letter the better, Make sure that you send it certified and have it notorized just to cover all the bases. When the building inspector comes out if he did not pull a permit at that point he will be in a small bit of trouble, enough where he will be made to go and pay for it down at city hall.

If there is anything else i can help with drop me a line or leave it here for me and i will repsond. Have a great day!