Need roofing advice for a complete tear off in AZ

This is a very simple home, one main load barring wall down the center of a roughly 30x30 home with 18 foot exposed 4x8s at about 20 inch centers. There is a slight pitch, I’m guessing 1 inch per foot. The current roof is so goofy, it’s about 5 sheets of press board covered with some tar paper and roof coating. It leaks like hell!

So I’m going to pull the whole roof off down to the 4x8s. What should I do from there?

My only thought was since I’ll need sheetrock for the ceiling I could do the whole roof from the top with rock, nail 2x2s down the 4x8 beams, put foam in the spaces, cover with 3/4 t&g followed by some tar paper and a roof coating. I have some corrugated tin laying around so I could follow up with that.

My main worry is I want the most energy efficiency I can find so I don’t think the above will give me an r_rating over 10 and I would like to double that as Tucson is hot and the sun is a killer!

Hire a pro.

Sounds like a cathredral ceiling, I would roof it like one and use insulation over the decking. If you are going to use old barn tin put ice and water shield dowm first then 1 by 4 perlins. Just go to your local roofing supply, they will hook you up.

dont bust a bunch of dag gum nails through your nice t/g ceiling.
nail roof systen on the rafters.

gweedo.

The ceiling isn’t t&g and when I’m done doing the tear off the house will look like a convertible with the 4x8 beams on 20 inch centers.

gtp nice to see a sense of humor. I wonder how many guys would redo the whole house, subfloors, plumbing, electric, sheetrock and all than turn around any pay somebody to do what should be the easiest part of the whole job. Unless I’m a total moron I should be able to handle a basically pitchless and shingleless roof.

All I need is somebody to give me a point in the right direction to kick that r-value up.

Gtp is right. Without a good roof your home would be inhabitable. Without ‘subfloors, plumbing, electric, sheetrock’ it would just be miserable.

I don’t doubt this, I’m just trying to figure out what steps in the process a man that can do all the other repairs would have a tough time with. Not to belittle roofing and if I lived in CO and planned to do a slate roof I would for sure hire a pro.

In this case, it’s a basically flat roof that needs x layers put down in this order. Seems VERY simple, no cutting of tiles or anything. Honestly I’ve been more worried about not making the bullnosed archway look nice so I may well be underestimating the complications involved in the roof.

So if your advice for me is to hire a pro do more than say that, please give me some idea as to the complications I’m overlooking.

Sorry, but for me, I’m not a long typer.

When you say to put a roof on, all you need is some felt and a roof coating.

Its kinda like for your archway all you need is some drywall and paint.

No for the archway you need nails, bullnose, hotmud, tape, a bucket of mud, some sheetrock, screws, sections of 2x4 and so on.

I just figured somebody here would have a solution, I was under the impression this is a forum of people that do this for a living but it could be all people like me, with questions.

[quote=“TucsonAZ”]No for the archway you need nails, bullnose, hotmud, tape, a bucket of mud, some sheetrock, screws, sections of 2x4 and so on.

I just figured somebody here would have a solution, I was under the impression this is a forum of people that do this for a living but it could be all people like me, with questions.[/quote]

This is a roofing forum, not a dry walling forum.

TucsonAZ - my point exactly. There is a million different ways to go about a roof. We cannot see what you see. Its hard to sum up a roof with limited info. Pictures would be a great help here. Everyone here would go about your house a little differently. Give us pictures with everything you can see and maybe we can give you some more insight.

This is the roof, from the inside of course. Above those beams is 5 sheets of pressboard and tar paper with a roof coating. So when I’m done with the tear off you will see blue skies and those beams.

http://4adam.com/roof.jpg

There are a number of different cool roof systems that can help with what you’re trying to do.
hydro-stop or seal o flex are two I use.
The difference they can make in a home is very nice for sun reflection and heat dampering.

[quote=“TucsonAZ”]This is a very simple home, one main load barring wall down the center of a roughly 30x30 home with 18 foot exposed 4x8s at about 20 inch centers. There is a slight pitch, I’m guessing 1 inch per foot. The current roof is so goofy, it’s about 5 sheets of press board covered with some tar paper and roof coating. It leaks like hell!

So I’m going to pull the whole roof off down to the 4x8s. What should I do from there?

My only thought was since I’ll need sheetrock for the ceiling I could do the whole roof from the top with rock, nail 2x2s down the 4x8 beams, put foam in the spaces, cover with 3/4 t&g followed by some tar paper and a roof coating. I have some corrugated tin laying around so I could follow up with that.

My main worry is I want the most energy efficiency I can find so I don’t think the above will give me an r_rating over 10 and I would like to double that as Tucson is hot and the sun is a killer![/quote]

Don’t do any of that.
What did you do? get your advice from a
"home inspector", “roof inspector”,
“roof consultant”

I haven’t met one yet that had a clue…
Call several state licensed Roofing contractors.
They are the only ones that are qualified to “consult”

You don’t have 5 sheets of pressboard…
You have a product called homasote.
I might be spelling it wrong.
Its 2 1/8 inches thick.( it does swell and looks much thicker when exposed to a roof leak)

A 2x8 foot tongue and groove product
(yes, its pressboard inside of it) that is the ceiling and the roof. Do not tear it down. Order the boards you need to be delivered with your roofing system.

You have to take one board partly up to replace the bad board next to it because of the tongue and groove. you will understand once you get into it.

You can fix more than one area with one board.

remove the roofing while being careful to save the homasote. replace really dipped boards. Slightly dipped can be fixed with the roofing.
You’ll understand once you buy the boards and start trying to replacing them.

I would suggest certainteed black diamond
peel n seal underlayment.
Then install smooth certainteed modified torch.
Then install granulated certainteed modified torch.

You need an experienced professional for this job.