Need metal roofing installation specs

Specifically SSR panel ‘Galvalume’. Is there anyway to get this without dropping 262 bucks on the ‘Architectural Sheet Metal Manual’? I’ve done galvanized and standing seam copper but every spec is different. Metal roofing ain’t my forte.

Have you seen this?
http://www.steelroofing.com/trade_specs_install.htm

Yes, that’s not enough to do a residential install though. Might have to drop 3 bills on the book, heh. I would think not having system specs readily available would cause many buyers to look elsewhere for a roofing system. It’s like a college professor forcing you to buy their text book. But in this case I can walk next door to another class if I want. Maybe we can talk the homeowner out of Galvalume…

Tar Monkey:

There are many manufacturers of of different types and styles of metal roofing that are made of different material (Steel/Alum/Copper/Zinc etc.) Most will give you an installation manual… we mostly use MetalWorks from Tamko… they even have videos on how to do this on their website… but it’s not standing seam - rather steel shingles, that are interlocked on all 4 sides.

For you, i understand you need standing seam - I would probably get it from ATAS - these guys will definitely provide you an install manual… but you will need exact measurements, otherwise they won’t quote you a price…
If u have more questions, pm me.

Good luck

Can’t you get a system spec manual from the mfg?

Can’t you get a system spec manual from the mfg?

Possibly. I’ve just been doing web searches up to now trying to find information and haven’t started calling around to manufacturers just yet. Basicaly I got this:

"Because of the wide variety of panel profiles and design features, Galvalume SSR systems should be installed according to SSR panel manufacturers’ construction practices and details. SMACNA (Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors National Association) Architectural Sheet Metal Manual specifications should be used as a guide and basis for details wherever applicable. "

It seems odd to me because if this particular customer was not insisting on Galvalume I would be so put off by trying to hunt installation specs that I would go with another product.

I’d say bite the bullet…375 is nothing for that that wealth of information. Besides, once you start doing metal, you might not want to do anything else. :slight_smile:

I’d say bite the bullet…375 is nothing for that that wealth of information. Besides, once you start doing metal, you might not want to do anything else.

I’m inclined to agree but we are a residential roofing company and the call for metal in our locale on private residence is slim to none. I’m kind of a nerd when it comes to having reference materials but it seems silly to drop that cash for one small job. Although I must admit, I would not be opposed to steering this company towards some commercial work.

find out what book you need , then go
on ebay. maybe youll find it cheaper.

im sure youll see when you start lookin at specs for different panels , alot of it is gonna look the same .alot of it is just copied from somebody else’s spec.
in my opion.
just stay away from puttin metal on a low slopes.

gweedo