Need intake vent, but have no soffit space

Hi Lolabell,

The GAF power vents should solve your problem.

Im not a big fan of an intake power vent. Along with air it can pull in rain water in also. Everyone does things differently. Main thing to me here is the guy who did the roof did not know enough about ridge vent to install it without any intake. Basically voiding your warranty on the shingle. You can regain the warranty but will it look good probably not with a big old power vent on the roof.

i see in the picture that they are right next to a ridge vent…that will not work together. look up a product called DCI smartvent. use this as the manufacture specs along with a good ridge vent. problem solved.

I agree with Lefty; GAF solar powered INTAKE booster vent. It’s installed about 1-2 ft. ABOVE the header wall.

The design with the cowl doesn’t allow any water in, IMO.

They push about 500 CFM under ideal sunlight conditions.

Sorry Lola but roof ventilation is kind of an on going argument and we tend to go for the throat, lol.

As to your vent problem…

I have seen people use static vents toward the roof eave, much like the dormer vents. Problem is that if snow sits on your roof you have a possibility of snow/water infiltration. I’d prefer to see something like Ever-Flo Eave Vent used. But that means removing and re-installing the first 2-3 rows of shingles on your eaves as well as any gutters. Keep in mind that the static/dormer vent idea won’t work if you have a finished attic space.
You could also remove the existing ridgevent and put a large dormer vent at either side of the roof with an exhuast fan in one side. This would not be the greatest answer but it’s better than nothing.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi Lolabell,

Nice comments.

There are a variety of solutions to your problems.

Ridge vent is a product that should be used alone.

Those other vents should work fine. It would be nice to see a better veiw of the louvers on the front of those vents.[/quote]

thank you for your advise, actually I do not have a ridge vent yet. I bassically have nothing right now, just a sad little turbine that doesn’t even work because there are no intake vents. I don’t know why our roof hasen’t fallen yet. If I was going to use the dormers, they would be for the intake part of the job, and installed at the base of the roof. Then for the exaust, on top of the roof I would consider a ridge vent or maybe more doormer.

Yes it’s hard to see the louvers from the pics. But i’ve seen them at home depot, and they hang slighly downword, so they don’t get rain in. and there is allot of vent space aprox 90" to 150’ depending on the size.
I would love the idea of a solar vent, but I heard they are kind of slow. I will look into the model you talked about.

Actually in the pictures they are being used as exaust vents, and are position by the ridge. this guy like to use them for bot intake and exaust. he line up some at the base of the roof to suck the air in, and lines some up at the ridge for exaust.

I did look up DCI smartvent, it sounded great, and looked attractive. But one of the commentors on this forum said it is too late to put them, because the roof is already built? Does that mean that they are to be only installed on roof in the process of constructio?

thanks for your advise, you have motivated me to call the dci people directly.

“Problem is that if snow sits on your roof you have a possibility of snow/water infiltration.”

He is in Los Angeles.

In the photo where the guy has the dormer vents next to the ridge vent, they are being used as exhaust vents.
He has intake vents at the bottom of the roof. Nothing is being short circuited, he just has two sets of exhaust vents, being ridge and dormer vents.

Simon any time you have ridge vent and any other exhuast vent the ridge vent will pull air from the closest possible area. The path of least resistance. Hence having 2 different exhaust vents will short circuit the air flow from the intake source and pull from the dormer vents. Cutting the lower half of the roof off from the ridge vent. Trust me that is a proven fact.

As far as smart vent you can still put it on the home but the problem is if im not mistaken the first 3 or so feet of shingles must be removed to install it. Shingles may not match since you can not reuse them since there are holes in them from the nails.

“having 2 different exhaust vents will short circuit the air flow from the intake source and pull from the dormer vents. Cutting the lower half of the roof off from the ridge vent. Trust me that is a proven fact.”

Actually, I don’t have a ridge vent yet. That’s the thing, I basically have NOTHING, so I’m starting from 0. The “enrgysaver” guy suggest using dormers intakes, lined up on the bottom, and dormers as exhaust, lined up on top. Without an additional ridge vent, so there wouldn’t be two different type of exhaust sources. BUT, another possible option, and that is what I’m considering, is a ridge vent for the exhaust, and dormers on the bottom ONLY FOR THE INTAKE.

I appoligize i thought the pic shown was of your home.

For all the work it will take to install all those hideous dormer vents on your roof I would go with Ever-Flo eave vent or DCI smartvent first.

everflovent.com/pro_inhaler.html

dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]For all the work it will take to install all those hideous dormer vents on your roof I would go with Ever-Flo eave vent or DCI smartvent first.

dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm[/quote]

These were actually my first choice, but I thought these would be more work. But maybe not? Also, when you mentioned that dormer vents don’t work for finished attics, I’m assuming you mean attic with drywall over the rafters. But do the ever-flow and smart vents work for finished attics? My attic isn’t finished, but, it’s always good to have the option.

Right. Think of an unfinished attic space as one big space, so the vent is easy. But when you finish the attic (ie. putting something on the underside of the rafters like sheetrock) now you have created a bunch of individual spaces or bays. The air can travel up between the individual rafters but it no longer is able to circulate inside the attic as one large area. Now you need soffit/eave vent and you need ridgevent. Without some sort of contiguous ventilation both under and on top of you roof you will just be venting whatever individual bay you slam the static vent or power fan into.

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]For all the work it will take to install all those hideous dormer vents on your roof I would go with Ever-Flo eave vent or DCI smartvent first.

dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm[/quote]

OH NO! maybe these won’t work for my roof after all.
It says that these must be installed 6" above drip ridge. But there is no attic underspace below ,the drip edge, so how does any air get in the attic. Basically my attic ends where the wall of the house are, the rafters are exteded beyond the house for a couple of feet, but this extension is just a wood awning. Maybe a picture would explain it better.

“OH NO! maybe these won’t work for my roof after all.”

Nope, they won’t. You need small round soffit vents installed where your roof meets your attic space in the pic you showed.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3122/roofpr8.jpg

also make sure there is no insulation blocking the vents and use insulation baffles to keep ins. away from them to keep clear airflow from eve to ridge.

Impressive article about ridge vents. I’m sure you guys have been on a roof on a hot day and felt hot air blasting out of the ridge vent…feels like it works to me. I would be interested in comments by Certainteed and other vent manufacturers on this subject…Bring it on manufacturers. I’ll start a new thread.

Again, in my opinion…

Take this: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/RanchHandRoofing/Accessory%20Products/GAFMasterFlowSolarPowered.jpg

And install it on your house like this:

IMO, it certainly won’t look any worse than having a bunch of those mini dormers built into the house.

They can be painted to match the appearance of the shingle color.

Hi,

The circle vents are the way to go. Drill one hole,first. Then see if they will work.

Smart Vent can be used in your situation. Here are some pictures of intake ventilation installed away from the edge of the roof. On this job I needed to install it 15’ in.

community.webshots.com/album/402358923