Need advice On roofing

Hi all of you roofers,

I am a scumbag homeowner looking for some roofing advice. I have noticed that you are very helpful in here. I will be starting soon as the roof is leaking. This is my plan and my questions

1. I’ll be doing this job on the weekend, so I don’t need any permits. Is it good to squeeze a holiday in too?

2. The laborers who I will be hiring (that’'s all you guys are anyway) have suggested calling some legit contractors to bring some samples over so I can pick a color. My question: Do you guys have to be licensed and insured to show me material samples?

3. my laborers also prefer that I pay in cash. They say I will save more that way. True?

4. The house 30 x 35 w/ a triangle wedgie thingy. Pretty steep, I am not going up there!! Anyway, there is also a 9’ x 18 addition. How many squares is this?

5. Do I include the overhangs? You know the three ft. wide thing that is kind of drooping?

6. My roofing guy just left. Nice guy. He just came by on his lunch hour from the hardware store. He said it is a 4/12 pitch and I would need roof brackets or toe jacks. What are they?

7. What is the best tar for the chimney, walls and pipe thingy’s?

8. Should I learn Spanish?

9. Whats the best way to cover up those pesky roof vent holes? I can’t afford no 3 sheets of $6 OSB!!!

10. I live in Michigan. I have some questions specifically for you guys, like:
    How much am I going to save?
    Can I make an appointment w/ you to look at colors?
    Will you come out and give me more advice? Maybe highlight problem areas, let us know some insights. In you spare time of course.

Call me in the evening as I am usually busy during the day driving around, washing and waxing my vehicles or simply shopping.

what is the point of this post? we have all been there. it comes with the job!

LOL! And you guys say I’m angry! Homeowners don’t bother me, just cheating contractors. If a homeowner feels they can take on the burden, I say that’s their right, but I think more often than not they will end up with; a lousy job; no warranty; a lot of headaches; a messy yard for weeks, maybe months.

As far as wasting my time for estimates, whatever, it’s part of the business. I had a homeowner call me from here the other day that wanted help (information on newb mistakes) to put rubber on a shed dormer. It didn’t bother me. He called while I was working though and didn’t know even what he wanted to ask me, so I couldn’t sit on the phone all day and told him to ask me later. Anyway, what he was trying to do was simple enough.

you don`t sound happy ,buddy

Twill

This is site is ‘roofing.com’ NOT ‘roofingprofessionalsonly.com

If you get pissed over a homeowner trying to educate himself on roofing and trying to save a buck and doing a job himself, perhaps you should start a new site up for pro’s only!

If you had a better attitude perhaps you could make get a few more jobs and make your mortgage payment!

Most of the people on this site have been very professional and helpful and because of that I would highly recommend 2 pro’s that visit this site regularly and give very good advice from Shelby Twp, Michigan to anyone I know (and I know many people in the Detroit area as I work their often).

I would hate to see what you do to a homeowner who you gave quote to, burned $15 bucks in gas to drive to his house and didn’t get the job. Oh my!

Take a angry management class and perhaps your salary would double!

Sorry to everyone else!

Shinglehitter,
Is that your profession, to recommend when someone needs treatment, such as anger management, depression, Schizophrenia?
If so that’s great. Where do you work? I’d like my Mother to call you, or e-mail. Better yet, where do you pros hang out?
You see she is suffering from depression, and I just know if, when you got home, if she could talk to you a while about her problems, that, that you could help her.

I know it has to do with her age mostly. But, well do you have a 1-800- number she could call you at?
I know you won’t mind if she interrupts dinner. She is really a sweet woman.

I know her time is worthless and yours is valuable. However, we know all you guys are just laborers :smiley:

im a schizophrenic with homocidal tendencies and now i wanna kill all you fuckers

I still cannot believe the guys that told the other guy to waste the contractor’s valuable time, knowing 100% that there was not a chance in Blazes that the contractor could get the job. Advice telling a fellow contractor to use the locals’ pricing structure. What the @&%# kind of advice is that?

I think twill is making fun of those fellows, but those fellows may not sharp enough to pick up on it.

[quote=“twill59”]Shinglehitter,
Is that your profession, to recommend when someone needs treatment, such as anger management, depression, Schizophrenia?
If so that’s great. Where do you work? I’d like my Mother to call you, or e-mail. Better yet, where do you pros hang out?
You see she is suffering from depression, and I just know if, when you got home, if she could talk to you a while about her problems, that, that you could help her.

I know it has to do with her age mostly. But, well do you have a 1-800- number she could call you at?
I know you won’t mind if she interrupts dinner. She is really a sweet woman.

I know her time is worthless and yours is valuable. However, we know all you guys are just laborers :D[/quote]

This Twill59 needs to go onto his roof and show us how its done.
By the way twill59 you need to get off your high horse and realize there is alot more to roofing than you think. You seem to have this false idea of what a roof is. Its seems like you think you can roof your house but you seem to think your too good for us. Why bother giving advice to a person like you. I rather see you on the roof for a couple hours and giving up. Then your really gonna have to shell out money to a real roofer to fix all your mess ups.
Ill give you some advice. Just pay up and and get the roof done right. Ive run into alot of know it alls that think they can do there own roof. When they get up there and rip up a couple sqaures they give up.
So be a good guy and pay a contractor to do the job.
Or send us some picture of you bust that roof up. Id really like to see that.

Well, we’ve come full circle. Bizarre. :mrgreen:

hahahaha :roll:

i read the other thread and i get it now…haha, maybe we should start a new section on this site called roofing trash talk :? i’ll bet it would be the most traffic on this site by far.

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]

hahahaha :roll:

i read the other thread and i get it now…haha, maybe we should start a new section on this site called roofing trash talk :? i’ll bet it would be the most traffic on this site by far.[/quote]

Im know im missing something but what is it. Really.

Yeah, tom, go hire a roofer to do your jobs…that would be better… for your knees.

Full circle is right. :frowning:

Twill,

Look at any one of my posts and see where I have been disrespectful or rude and let me know! I am just trying to educate myself and have a job done right! You and select other idiots on this site insult me to say that I WILL NOT DO MY ROOF RIGHT because I do not do it 40 hours per week! or 12 hours per week in Twills case! Because he is an idiot with no people skills!

Perhaps I can give a better alternative for your future customers - “Hey, Roofing is very difficult and we have a lot of hours dedicated to learning this profession. I am sure your will end up with a great roof because you have researched alot about this subject BUT if you have any difficulties or have any questions please give me a call! I would be more than happy to help because I am customer service oriented”!

I work at a college in financial aid and if you had any questions about many childs education - I would be more than happy to help you! I would not call you a low life hillbilly that cant afford to help out his children with college because his social skills is killing his business and he barely afford to make his truck payment!

Perhaps if you (TWILL) had a better attitude = your wife would still be laying next to you and your kids would still know who you are! instead, your an angry ass who is mad at the world and cant get a job to save his ass from bankruptcy -because I get mad at simple folk trying to learn about roofing! YOUR AN IDIOT!

Sorry again to all the true professionals! marshall exteriors - roof hand - gps - timothy!

I have learned alot from this site and appreciate all your help! I truly believe that I will be getting a better roof because of you!

Twill - Please give me your mothers phone number!

please!

twill is just annoyed at people wasting his time and chose to sound off,i would not take it personally,as a DIYer asking ??s on the internet,you are probably not his target,twill is a very good man w/ a happy family who to my knowledge is an outstanding professional roofer—bringing the man`s family into this in any way ,shape,or form is strictly low class

Yeah, shinglehitter, that was pretty bush league. Anyhow, for some reason this guy cannot grasp the point of the post, when everyone else is.

I did not even realize that any of us were here to get customers. I know Im not. If we’re not here to gain customers, then whats yer freakin point? If youre not a member of the roofing industry, then you really do not know nor are able to understand what we’re talking about.

How do you know what this site is designed for? Are you donl?

Yes honestly homeowners were not the target of sarcasm. And certainly not you. The term “scumbag” was un necessary and I apologize for that.
You guys that understood it, thanks for coming to my defense. shinglehitter, good luck w/ your roofing job.

I’m not sure if my “joke” was out anger or 20+ yrs. of being in this business. I’ll leave that to the psychiatric “experts”.

But for your info shinglehitter, I did take a court ordered anger management class. I found the judge, the facilitators and the sick drug infected whore who had me committed much angrier than me.
The company I keep sometimes :roll:

well… I had fun! Let’s do this again next Sunday.

Twill

My apologies to you!

I thought your intial post was targeting me - I am a homeowner, live in Michigan and have been asking alot of questions! I probably overreacted!

Best of luck to you!