Need advice, how to handle damage caused by roofer

Hello guys, our tile re-roof has finally been completed, after many delays getting the tile and a whole lot of other BS.

I have a question on how to handle some damage caused by the roofer. We have a flat roof on the back of our house that was included in the re-roof. They tore the roof off in September (during rainy season here in SW Florida). The day they tore the roof off, they didn’t get my lanai flat roof dried in properly.

That night we had a bunch of rain and it backed up under the first layer of peel and stick underlayment and caused water to come in on 40x4 feet of lanai drywall ceiling. I punched holes in the ceiling to let the water drain out, and called my roofer. He came out and looked at it the next day and said he would take care of it. That was back in September. Since then the drywall has started to sag and has left a mess of the ceiling.

Yesterday the roofer came out to get his final payment. I owed him a little over $6200.00, he handed my a bill for $7500.00 that included the wood replacement. I am 90% sure he didn’t use as much wood as he charged me for, but that is a moot point. I then told him we needed to talk about fixing the lanai ceiling. So we walked out and looked at it, he reluctantly suggested to knock off $500.00 to replace five sheets of ½ inch sheet rock. I was not thrilled with that amount. I would either have to find someone to come in remove and dispose of old ceiling. hang, tape, mud, texture and paint the replaced sheets or do it myself. The supplies alone would run half the $500 amount when you start adding things up. Anyway, I told him I would have to get some estimates and handed him a check for $6,000.00. I have lots of pictures and even some video of the water pouring out of the ceiling when it rained.

On his contract it states that any non payment will release him from his warranty. I certainly don’t want that. I have enough proof that the damage was caused by him to bury him in small claims court if need be, I just don’t want it to come to that. But from the estimates I have received there is no way $500.00 is going to cut it, even doing the work myself.

Any advice?

Thanks for your time!

If anyone can tell me how to post pics, I will be happy to.

Here are what I have come up with so far for a supply list. The ceiling is just plain sheet rock that is textured and painted. I would definitely upgrade that to a water resistant type drywall that is more like $15 a sheet.

Tear down and dispose of five sheets ½ inch sheet rock. Hang, tape, mud, texture and paint new ½ inch sheet rock.

Supplies –

Five sheets of ½ sheet rock @ $10.65 each (including tax) = $53.25

Two five gallon buckets of joint compound @ $10.87 each (including tax) = $21.74

Two rolls of drywall tape @ $6.36 each (including tax) = $12.72

Two 20lb bags of ceiling mud @ $21.15 each (including tax) = $42.30

Rental of drywall ceiling jack @ $26.50 per day (including tax) = $26.50

One gallon of primer @ $12.72 (including tax) = $12.72

One gallon of Lowes American tradition paint @ $26.48 (including tax) = $26.48

Miscellaneous painting supplies $15.00

Supply total: $210.71

An attorney is what you need. We are roofers. i would have either replaced it and painted the entire ceiling, or paid your estimated price.

I just had a similar situation arise…we sprayed onto the side of the building we were spraying, and the owner got estimates. We paid the price on the estimate because it cost less than having my men do it.

I like transaction s to be hassle free as possible. I like being a reputable contractor. I would rather pay than have my name tarnished. Besides, it is the right thing to do.

Hi,

If he will not fix the ceiling properly. What makes you think the rest of his warranty is any good.

I agree with both points. Any reputible company would have just called it a loss and fixed the damages. Earlier this year a customer of mine had a problem with ceiling and a wall and it was handled before the roof was finished. We had someone out there the following day doing the repairs. Lefty has a good point about his warranty.

Why don’t you get some or at least one estimate from a drywall contractor, then approach the roofing contractor with the estimate. Also, don’t forget there may now be mold on the rafters or within your ceiling. So, after all is said and done I’d wait to have the repair work done since there may also be extras there, before submitting your final payment to the roofing contractor. I certainly would not pay him the final $1500 until you have a satisfactory agreement, since holding his money is NOW the only leverage you have.

for the sake of clarity…every home has mold.

That is true, but you know what I was talking about, or at least I hope you know.

nothin left for gweedo once again!
very good job guys.
mr lawdock3,
theres nothin i can add except,
ive done alot of roofs in fort myers, punta gorda, and even usseppa island.
and the one thing about a post hurricane area. is alot fly by night companys.
so in the future try to hire people with over ten years in your area.

gweedo.

Yeah, I know what youre saying. Youre saying that the leaky roof is accountable for mold growth.

In humid climates, a vented roof provides enough humididty to sustain mold growth. This is the fallacy of mold caused by leaky roofing. If you want to avoid it, de-humidify the attic.

lawdocx3,
If in Tampa Bay area, the best is “gweedo”.
Amazing tile man too. The pro’s Pro!

Look just don"?t pay him, until he fixes the roof and if he does not fix it keepall the money have someone do the drywall and then pay him the difference from the cost of repair and hardship iIF he gives you a new warrenty for the roof and underline the time period of the warrrenty,let him take you to courthe will lose and report him to the BBB call the news and have them do a story on him < MAKE HIM SWEEYT He does’nt care about u so u should’. Good lucknt care about him 8)

if its relevant, no warranty is valid until accou nt is paid in full.

At this point, do you really think the guy would honor the contractor’s warranty anyway?

that is an 8- 10 hour drywall job. so all you need to do is find a drywall guy for 20 bucks an hour and you just made $38 bucks. aside from a bit of a pain in your butt everybody should be happy right?

regarding the wood replacement, if the contractor didnt tell you in advance about the change order then you are not obligated to give him anything for that. He should have handed you an authorization for extra work prior to doing anything beyond the contracts original scope. If you didnt sign it or tell him “go ahead and replace it” then it is on him. Just to clarify im not advocating screwing the contractor, That doesnt mean stick it to him. It is just a legal means of leverage until you get this mess sorted out.