My first roof

Hey guys,

New to the board and I’m about to take on my first roof. We are currently buying a home that was built in 1985. There are currently no leaks in the roof however it is over 20 years old. I figured we might as well do it now. Just a couple questions. This is my first attempt at doing a roofing job and will probably be my last for about 25 - 30 years. So here’s my question. I want to use a pneumatic roofing gun but I don’t really want to spend 400 bucks on it. I saw some cheaper one’s on ebay for around 100 bucks and was wondering if these would be okay for a one time job? I know they are ridiculously cheap but I only need it to hold up for the one job (approx. 3-4 weeks.) Would they be okay? (Construction Zone Coil Roofing Nailer, Air Luxe, Contractor) Those are the brands I saw on ebay for around 100 bucks. Would one of these be okay for just one job? Also starting supplies and any other general advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is going to be a reshingle only, not tearing up the old shingles. Thanks guys.

Find a used Hitachi NV45AB nailer on Ebay. Use it, and then when you are done re-sell it on Ebay.

bostich rn46. you should be able to get a used one on ebay. very user freindly, light and reliable.

Instead of buying a cheap air nailer,why not buy a reconditioned Bostich or the likes for 30-$40 more.Cheap air nailers shoot crooked nails,misfire and have a hard time shooting in the longer nails,which are required on a layover.IMO if you put a roof over an old roof,the lifespan of the new roof is jeopardized.I know it is done all the time,but to me its like putting perfume on a pig.You said the roofs not leaking now,so why not save up for a full re-roof.It makes for a way better job,and at the same time you can check the deck and install all new underlayment.Whatever route you decide to take,make sure you have adequate ventilation.

Hand nail like real roofer !!!

I just finished hand nailing a job last friday. Us real roofers always handnail when we are able to. The job I finished was a 4 shingle repair. I got it done in about 5 minutes.

Hand nailing is the way to go. If you don’t hand nail, you really don’t care about roofing.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I forgot to mention I am pressed for time here. The roof has to be done by the end of July. I’m not sure how much help I’m gonna have so that was the reason I wanted to get an air nailer.

Sorry to disappoint you G-Tape, but I’m not a real roofer anyway so I’ll be air nailing it. Job’s a little bigger than four shingles. Thanks for the help though.

Keep the advice coming guys I’m trying to learn as much as I can before I start so I’m not redoing it later.

Hi,

Hand nailing it your best route. The time an money you spend getting the gun you could have a lot done.

Most people do not know how to start a layover. Then they get a bump.

If you have good reading comprehension skills read the package. If you have a very simple roof you should be able to have a leak free roof. It may not be as pretty if an everyday roofer does the job. But I’m suspecting you may know that.

If you use G-Tape, the whole neighborhood may ask you to do their roofs also, It will look like a pro did it!!

Another route you may want to go is to rent the guns at your local tool rental, putting on these shingles may take less time than you think. Just read the instructions on the package and you should be able to put on at least 8-10 squares per day. If you are reroofing ovr 3-tabs with dimensional, shingles MAKE SURE you use Tanko brand dimensional shingles, as the exposure is the same and they will lay perfect over 3-tabs. Otherwise 3-tabs over 3-tabs is OK. Also nailover will last just as long as tear off as long as there isn’t current leaking, nails penetrate deck as per manufacturer specs, flashing is installed, and ventilation is sufficient.

[quote=“G-Tape”]Hand nail like real roofer !!!

I just finished hand nailing a job last friday. Us real roofers always handnail when we are able to. The job I finished was a 4 shingle repair. I got it done in about 5 minutes.

Hand nailing is the way to go. If you don’t hand nail, you really don’t care about roofing.[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

As a consultant, I’ve always required shingles to be hand nailed when I have the power to make that decision. With hand nailing, you are more apt to install the nails in the proper place, and they won’t be under or over driven. If you use a nail gun and really care about the roof, then make sure you have a hammer on your tool belt so you can pull it out and bang down the under-driven nails. Of course, you need to replace the damaged shingles where over-driven nails blow through the fiberglass mat.

if youve never used a roofing nail gun then your probably better off hand nailing it.

gweedo.

Dbw… If you want to go over the top, I would take a long walk across the roof edges to feel for rotten plywood, and also make sure that the shingles that are on the house now are laying nice and flat…too often I see a roof over that the new shingles never seal causee they will not lay flat cause the roof ender is not flat itself… That is why I always tear em off, and when you see how many sheets of plywood are coming loose and nails from the savage framer that never hit the rafter , and and were not enough anyway…you will be glad you put in the effort and you will sleep better knowing that you have none of these problems anymore … or you could go right over it and have a professional come in a couple years when shingles are 150.00 per square (which they will be soon! )to rip off 2 layers and charge you a fortune to do…I.M.O… lol…