My $5000.00 Roof

Does this look like the work of a top notch roofer?

Sorry for the bad photos, I left my good camera at work.

sydpixel.com/images/contractor/index.htm

First off, these guys proclame to be the best in the sate.

Yesterday, I caught them trying to shingle over my old felt paper after they told me they were going to completely remove and re-do my roof…

Well not good.

Meaning? …

other than a peace of fasha cover stickin out,
i dont see anything that worrysome.

what does stand out to me is that little house,
cant be ten sq, cost 5g ?

gweedo

In the first pic it looks like the deck is hanging over by more than an inch…
The felt hanging over the rake with the t-drip over it is a nice detail…
What state are you in?

Looks a bit sloppy but I have seen much worse, I really doubt that they are the best in the state, unless we are talking about the state of denial.

[quote]what does stand out to me is that little house,
cant be ten sq, cost 5g[/quote]

I am guessing 16 sq.

I’m asking… does this look like a job of someone that thinks they are one of the best in the state?

No.
But they aren’t the worst either.

i would say average to slightly below…def. not the best. what state? i actually noticed in one pic that the top course on the flat roof under the upper gutter runs up the fascia instead of L flashing.

Your chimney needs to be step flashed. The roof to wall will prolly work for a short time if they seal it really good with geocel. But you should invest in step flashing. You can see where they tore the old flahing off.

If this was your roof… what would you do?

My concerns. Once the roof is on, these things can’t be done correctly in my opinion.

I live in Ohio, there is plenty of snow. Sometimes 10 to 12 inches at it’s worst. 4 inched of flashing around the chimney just doesn’t cut it in my book.

On the back, they ran about 10 shingles when I noticed they were going over my old felt paper. They ice guarded and shingled over a known soft spot in the process. Had they removed the old felt, they would have seen the bad wood. This was over looked.

After I said “going over my old felt paper wasn’t in the deal” right after that 10 rows of shingles, they ripped up the old felt and laid new above it then continued roofing. This just doesn’t seem right.

In the process of rushing, the drip edge (in the photos) was not applied and they left bare wood exposed.

One thing that bothers me is, right before the job began, both the owner and the foreman told me “we’re putting our best guys on your house” and “we’re going to take care of you”

I have been around construction for 17 years. I have seen work on $500,000 to 17 million dollar homes. Maybe my expectations were too high based on the kind of work I have seen in the past but frankly, this is some of the worst roofing I have seen In a while. They’re sloppy, unorganized and it shows in their final product. I am VERY unhappy with this and In my opinion, this work is definitely not worth $5,500.00

If your going to charge top dollar for your services, you should do top notch work. agreed? This roof looks like a couple hillbillies laid it.

What should I do?

Hi,

The other jobs they did. Were they like that?

That is sloppy work.

The step flashing needs counter flashing. 4" is the right height. Snow does not leak in. Water does. You will not get water over 2" high.

Funny thing.

I designed their website and the photos they sent me looked beautiful.

the chimney is step flashed. it needs counter flashing.

I can take pics of other peoples work and say its mine. Come on be serious. Throw those bumbs off the site. WOrk like that is just horrible. This is a reason that the bbb gets involved in alot of jobs. In my area an inspector would eat them alive. Honestly whatever shingle you are using i would have a rep from that company come out and look at it along with another roofing company. Of course you will have to pay a service call to the other roofing company but if the basics are being screwed up then what else is wrong. If they do the best work in the state wow i could make a ton of cash doing it right. I would not let that crew shingle my dog house. Have the local city inspector out today and see what he thinks. If it is being done wrong then they can throw them off, and to boot if they needed a permit and did not pull one they will get in trouble with the city. All the way around not professional. I would not accept that for 5k or any other price.

Once the counterflashing is done correctly your chimney will be fine, correctly is the key word here.
It is just not completed at this point, I hope…

[quote]
On the back, they ran about 10 shingles when I noticed they were going over my old felt paper. They ice guarded and shingled over a known soft spot in the process. Had they removed the old felt, they would have seen the bad wood. This was over looked.[/quote]

You don’t see “bad wood” you "feel’ it…
Bad wood should always be replaced.
Going over old felt isn’t an issue at all, as long as they removed the old felt where the Ice & Water shield goes.

These guys appear to be about average, far from the worst I have seen, they aren’t done yet…
Is the last picture a low slope roof?
Does it get shingles on it or something else because that Ice & Water shield isn’t going to hold up very long by itself.

Pretty harsh there GTP…

ANother thing. There are some on this site that think it is ok to go over old felt. There is never a good reason to go over old felt. It just lazyness and poor roofing practice.

Ok, I’m getting ready to boot these guys off my house… What would be a suggested next step?