Much of a difference between 15 and 30 felt paper?

THX

in New England 15# felt about $15.00 432 sq ft roll 30 # felt $18.00 200 sq ft roll

was that the question?

THX

guy knows three letters.

gweedo

ATLANTA, your welcome…

he just likes long subjects

15 pound felt is the “default” for most applications.

30 pound is used for lower slopes (under 4:12 where shingles are permissible) with a “double lap”, i.e. lay one course, then where you’d normally lay a ‘normal’ course about 3" down overlapping the felt below, a double lap is where the top layer starts half way up the bottom layer (I hope that made sense).

OK, so I started this response about 2p & am finishing this detail here @ 10:35 cst.

This detail should show the alignment of a low slope, double lapped 30 # application.

For slopes 8:12 & steeper, 30 # is the typical felt used because it’s thicker & less prone to tearing when walked on or worked on / around / with.

Now let’s see who has responded since I started…

oh, he was sayin thanks.
THX.
duh.

gweedo

Can’t put anything past you, gweed.

The differance is kinda like name brand tennis shoe -vs- generic. You can run and jump in both. One is higher quality and costs more.

I wonder why qweedo rubs you the wrong way so much Ranch. I personaly like his posts. Humerous and not as serious as everyone eles.

I like a high quality fiberglass 15# felt such as the Certainteed Roofer Sellect.

The past 100+ roofs I’ve done have all had the Roofer Sellect felt. I had one new roof papered in and not one piece of felt blew off with winds up to 60 mph. What amazed me was I ran short ice and water and left the bottom untacked on one run and that felt didn’t even blow off!

Cheap 15# costs $12-14 per roll I pay $22 per roll for the Roofer Sellect.

30# unless covered right away has a tendancy to wrinkle. Just like my blue jeans I like my felt as flat as possible. (That one was for Gweedo!!!) :smiley:

Several years ago my father went to work after a big wind storm to find the 100sq building he had papered in with fiberglass felt didn’t loose any paper. He looked across the street and saw the roof next to his had lost shingles.

THX RooferR

but dont worry.
you dont last long here
unless your well respected.

gweedo

I don’t know about the rest of the guys here, but in Denver, CO we need 30#. Fifteen just doesn’t cut it in our climate. Likewise, on anything above a 7/12 pitch it is dangerous to walk on without serious amounts of staples.

[quote=“caseycolvin”]

I don’t know about the rest of the guys here, but in Denver, CO we need 30#. Fifteen just doesn’t cut it in our climate. Likewise, on anything above a 7/12 pitch it is dangerous to walk on without serious amounts of staples.[/quote]

Perhaps you should try Roofer Select, it is a different animal from other 15# felts.

What do you mean 15# doesn’t cut it in your climate?
What are its short comings?
What doesn’t it do that it is supposed to?

I like the Roofer’s Select but my crews bitch about the fiberglass; makes for some itchy arms.

We had 70 degree temps today & that means no long sleeves for the most part. Plus, the 30 # costs about more per roll more than a roll of ‘regular’ 30 #… even with the 30 # going just as far as a standard roll of same weight, there aren’t a lot of customers who want to spend the difference or if I’m competing against 3 or 4 other quotes, they may not see the difference.

I can only line item so many options before the customer gets estimate fatigue…

[quote="-Axiom-"]

I don’t know about the rest of the guys here, but in Denver, CO we need 30#. Fifteen just doesn’t cut it in our climate. Likewise, on anything above a 7/12 pitch it is dangerous to walk on without serious amounts of staples.

Perhaps you should try Roofer Select, it is a different animal from other 15# felts.

What do you mean 15# doesn’t cut it in your climate?
What are its short comings?
What doesn’t it do that it is supposed to?[/quote]

I have yet to try roofer select, I may give that a shot.

By doesn’t cut it, we can’t leave it on the roof in the snow and ice, it tends to get carried off by either the wind or ice dams. Its fine in the summers.

Another problem we have are moths that for some strange reason will eat at it and not the 30#. Though I’m sure they eat at the 30#, it seems to hold up better.

[quote]

By doesn’t cut it, we can’t leave it on the roof in the snow and ice, it tends to get carried off by either the wind or ice dams. Its fine in the summers.

Another problem we have are moths that for some strange reason will eat at it and not the 30#. Though I’m sure they eat at the 30#, it seems to hold up better.[/quote]

You won’t have those problems with Roofer Select, shinglemate either but it is a little slick to walk on.

[quote="-Axiom-"]

[quote]

Another problem we have are moths that for some strange reason will eat at it and not the 30#. Though I’m sure they eat at the 30#, it seems to hold up better.[/quote]

You won’t have those problems with Roofer Select, shinglemate either but it is a little slick to walk on.[/quote]

I may look into it. I have been using the Titanium UDL. I really enjoy that. It’s easy for my guys to walk on and the larger sheets cover the roof faster. It does get a little slippery when wet though.