The Condo Board of our Breck condo Home Owners Association decided about 4 years ago to replace the ballasted BUR with a Foam spray on. While the decision was probably a decent one at the time (for all of the benefits of a SPF roof), we just completed an exterior renovation of the rest of the architectural components (decks, windows, stucco, small roofs over decks & bumpouts, etc) and now have TONS of roof leaks. The sub-contractors scampered all over the roof with absolutely no regard to the SPF and now we have numerous punctures in the top coat allowing melting snow and rain to penetrate into the foam. Homeowners on the top floor are having quite a few leaks bad leaks into their units.
On to my questions…
Once moisture saturates areas of foam, is there a way to get the moisture out prior to attempting to re-coat the top of the SPF? Or, does it have to be cut out and re-sprayed?
If the saturated sections comprise much of the roof, would it be better to re-roof?
Is there anything that can be done in the short term to get us through the winter since SPF requires warmer temperatures to re-do? The leaks are keeping home-owners from using their units during prime ski season. (We would have to do some snow removal prior to any intervention!!)
I’ve seen mentioned on this forum a few other top coats for SPF (silicone, etc)…what would be advised topcoat in a location such as the mountains of Colorado for a roof that is succeptable to some maintenance walking traffic as well as bird pecks, etc. going forward?
Thanks so much to the professionals on this forum.