Missing shingles - insurance problems

Missing shingles from the front of house after
storm. Insurance said repair not replace.
Roofer said shingles missing and hail damage,
replace. Insurance sent Engineer to inspect
roof. Saw hail damage but not enough for replacement.
He said replace front slope only. He did spot check
for wind damage (had 70-80 mph winds) but not
complete. Had ceiling water stains in three rooms
all at the back of house. Engineer said the
vent boots are more than lightly the cause.
Insurance will replace them. Roof has alot of
curlup, and Engineer said it is because installer
did “verticial racking”. Roof is 10 yrs old.
How can I deal with insurance company (Nationwide)
on getting the roof replaced versus repair.
I am afraid the house is going to look strange
because of the color of the new shingles vs old ones.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Is this the report that you referred to in our earlier discussion?

Ed

Here is some useful information from a report I did to challenge an insuarance companies denial of an insureds hail claim.

Sorry that the info is so long, but their are some great quotes included in the text, so read it thoroughly.

Ed

The Property Loss Research Bureau, (PLRB); and various hail damage assessment protocol publications authored by Haag Engineering Company, (Haag); and by Jim D. Koontz & Associates Roof Consultants, (Koontz), and Asphalt-Shingle Roofing, published by Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association, (ARMA); and the National Roofing Contractors Association, (NRCA), from Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Roofing Technology, “Hail damage to roofing: Assessment and classification, and also from the Midwest Roofing Contractors Association, (MRCA), roof care 101, Storm Damage.â€Â

Are the shingles still available? If they are curling my guess would be Certainteed Sealdon or Certainteed Horizons, but there are others. The manufacturer defects are more to blame for the curling than the installation method. If they were stair stepped and they are organic shingles they will still curl. I see a lot of organic roofs were all six corners curl not just the ends.

How much ice and water shield is on your roof if any? What is the ice and water shield code for your state, if any? If the roof is 10 years old there is a chance there no longer made.

Did an adjuster remove a shingle to send in to see if there still available?

The two shingles I previously mentioned are no longer made and so far every claim I’ve worked with them in the past year have gotten a full replacement even though the damage has only been to one side of the roof.

In my area Allied does the Nationwide home owner insurance. Did the insurance company first send the engineer? Usually they will only send an engineer which costs them money if one or two adjusters already denied the claim. I’ve worked two claim were two adjusters said no, Haage said no, then the third adjuster said yes. One was wind the other was hail.

Insurance companies do not replace roofs that are completely shot for free. I have never seen it happen.

[quote]Missing shingles from the front of house after
storm. Insurance said repair not replace.
Roofer said shingles missing and hail damage,
replace. Insurance sent Engineer to inspect
roof. Saw hail damage but not enough for replacement.
He said replace front slope only. He did spot check
for wind damage (had 70-80 mph winds) but not
complete. Had ceiling water stains in three rooms
all at the back of house. Engineer said the
vent boots are more than lightly the cause.
Insurance will replace them. Roof has alot of
curlup, and Engineer said it is because installer
did “verticial racking”. Roof is 10 yrs old.
How can I deal with insurance company (Nationwide)
on getting the roof replaced versus repair.
I am afraid the house is going to look strange
because of the color of the new shingles vs old ones.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I work for an insurance carrier as an adjuster and it typically comes down to physical damage. If Nationwide has hired an engineer they are going to rest upon that opinion.

Is your roof a gable roof or a hip roof?

Most times, with damage to a particular side, I’ll usually figure to replace the entire side unless we have just one or two missing shingles.

Some states may have a matching statute or some sort of state guideline. Minnesota is one that comes to mind.

For covered losses, the insurance policy typically states the insurer covers “direct physical damage” as called for in the policy.

“Curl up” is either an installation or ventilation issue that is not covered by any insurance policy I’ve ever seen.

You do have an option in your insurance policy to go to appraisal about the value of your covered damages. However, appraisal will not resolve, address or determine coverage.

Sometimes they do, it is usually a long time customer though.

Insurance adjustor came only once, then I got roof
estimate & was told hail, wind, etc. damage, & he
faxed report to insurance storm center. At this time
they said no & set up appointment with engineer.
Engineer came & did his report. However, he does not
state origin of leaks to rooms at back of house.
Ask Nationwide to send another adjustor to look at
house now after almost 3 months to review damage &
any new that may had been caused by more storms, etc.
Nationwide Supervisor said no Eng. report is all they
need. I have replacement cost plus policy told best
nationwide has. Had painter over got estimate, etc.
Nationwide said estimate too high according to their
computer est. So I asked for names from them to see
if it can be done cheaper. Getting tired of getting
ests. had 5 roofers over and each one said replace,
not repair. So from the pics you will see nationwide
agreed to replace slope, 11 vents and shingles around
vents, boots & shingles around boots. Adjustor did
not take sample to see if shingles are still being
made. One roofer said they may be Owen shingles but
not sure color driftwood. Eng. said hail damage but
not enough, however insurance going to replace vents
that are damaged from hail. Need suggestions on how
to fight insurance company, already filed complaint
with Indiana Insur. Dept. Any suggestions
appreciated.
http://www.roofing.com/images/default.jpghttp://www.roofing.com/images/default.jpg[/list]

I followed the instruction but it did not work. Help attaching pics. Do not have alot of knowledge
of computer. Anyone give me step by steps
instuctions on how to attach pics.

I did get your e-mail and photos yesterday with your attachments, but I have been swamped with calls due to our heavy continuous rains.

An easy way to do Photos, is to go to PhotoBucket.com and set up a FREE account. You can browse your computer files for photos and upload then to that site. Then, all you have to do is provide the link to your account page for others to view.

Your Hail damage and wind damage, based on the adjusters photos did not reveal significant and sizable hail damage. But, they may have chosen very selective photos to submit, since they have a bias towards not spending necessary funds if they can get away with it.

I found it interesting that the 2 large windows sustained damage from hail, yet their photos revealed none.

There is a well versed roofing contractor regarding hail damage inspections, on this forum, who goes by the name of RidgeWalker, who is based out of near Indianapolis, if that is near you.

Contact him through his e-mail in his profile or his website URL link. He is a good person to deal with, if you guys are close to each other.

Ed

10 roofers can say you have hail damage but until an adjuster says you have hail damage you don’t have hail damage. The storm chasing companies tell their bird doggers to tell the home owner they have hail if they find one hit on the roof.

I send estimates to insurance companies all the time regarding claims and that doesn’t mean there going to pay for anything. Usually after a claim is denied to re-open it the insurance company will ask for an estimate.

Been on roofs that I figured an adjuster would never pay for due to the roof being 25+ years old and way past it’s life and they have. Gotten adjusters to pay for roofs that had one missing tab. Gotten adjusters to pay for roofs with only minimal bruising from trees on shingles. Last Fall did a 50sq roof in which the adjuster circled 5 hail hits. Since the shingles were no longer made we didn’t have to have the normal 24 hits.

Got a roof denied the other day with the New Horizons. We both agreed it may have been hit with hail but with all the defects in the shingles it would be tough for him to pass it. He likes his job and it’s not worth losing it. We both agreed that the day they quit making them and if it loses a shingle they will pay for it.

Do you have an ice and water shield requirement code in your state?