Metal Roof Repair Questions

I purchased an old building. The metal roof was installed by an amateur 4 years ago and it is leaking. I took a walk up on the roof and there are no obvious holes. The roof is installed on a concrete block building and has about a 6/12 pitch. He removed a few rows of blocks at one end of the building so that the roof drains into a gutter on one 28’ end of the 28’x80’ buidling. Apparently, the installer used some old flashing that is in between the layers of concrete block. I can see that the flashing was not screwed down in enough places as it is ripply. Because of where the flashing is installed, I cannot yet see what the installer did where the metal butts up against the concrete blocks.

Please comment on my plan:

1. Unsrew and lift some of the flashing to see if the installer put any kind of sealant between the blocks and the edge of the metal roof. If he didn’t what sort of material should I use to prevent leakage at these seams?
  2. I will then reinstall the old flashing. In most cases, this flashing drops from in between the blocks at a 45 degree angle before it contacts the metal roof. I would plan to install at least twice as many screws as currently exist. I will then coat the seam with a sealant, recognizing that in some instances, there will be as much as a 1/4" gap to seal. Again, what sort of sealant should I use?
  3. To be safe, I will put sealant over every screw in the roof (the rubber under the screws seems to be OK, btw).
  4. Finally, at the edge of the roof where it drains, the installer left zero overhang. It appears that some of the water is wicking under the roof at this point. Would installation of a drip edge flashing be appropriate, or is there a better method to direct the water into the gutter?

30 x 80 is alot of water.
a little gutter here, a drain hole there, is not
going to do it.
most metal roof problems come from to much water
gettin off the roof to slow.
do your repairs(they sound like they wont hurt anything), just remember to make it easy for
water to escape the roof.

gweedo.

Hi,

If you can spot what is wrong now, why did you not spot it before you bought the building? Sounds like the second amauter to attemp installing a metal roof.

Putting chaulking all over the place without knowing why will cause more problems.

Until you know why the roof is leaking, you can not fix the leak.

Using the shotgun aproach to leak repair. You may luck out an get the leak. The chance of the leak coming back is very good. Now is where the problem gets worse. You now have everything covered up. You use the shotgun aproach a few more times. Same results. You finialy surrender, I have to call a handyman or 2 or 3. They do the same as you.

You finally are at wits end. You call me. I know exactly what to do. I give you a price. You say it is too much. You call a couple of more handyman.

You call me back. My price is more. You finally say okay, do it. Leak fixed.

You are now at the point that you either appreacitae my service or you think I am a thief because of the price I have to charge to fix all your bad desicions. LOL LOL LOL

I agree lefty, I just did a roof where the homeowner had a leak around his chimney and put roofing cement everywhere including way above the flashing, he didn’t stop the leak after several attempts but he sure did make a mess of his chimney. :?

Wow Lefty…what’s up with you?

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

If you can spot what is wrong now, why did you not spot it before you bought the building? Sounds like the second amauter to attemp installing a metal roof.

Putting chaulking all over the place without knowing why will cause more problems.

Using the shotgun aproach to leak repair. You may luck out an get the leak. The chance of the leak coming back is very good. Now is where the problem gets worse. You now have everything covered up. You use the shotgun aproach a few more times. Same results. You finialy surrender, I have to call a handyman or 2 or 3. They do the same as you.

You finally are at wits end. You call me. I know exactly what to do. I give you a price. You say it is too much. You call a couple of more handyman.

You are now at the point that you either appreacitae my service or you think I am a thief because of the price I have to charge to fix all your bad desicions. LOL LOL LOL[/quote]

I love it. :wink:

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

You are now at the point that you either appreacitae my service or you think I am a thief because of the price I have to charge to fix all your bad desicions. LOL LOL LOL[/quote]

It may sound sarcastic, but the fact is, that it is very true.

Very well spoken Lefty.

Ed

Hi Krakkerjak,

I am just giving the best advice for his post.

I am a very good troubleshooter. There are a lot of customers that do not want to pay for my experience and know how.

He is already trying to cut corners because he got burnt when he bought the building. He said he is going to cover up anything he sees with chaulk.

Hopefully he can use my post to save himself a lot of headaches and money. Probably not thou.

im with krakker on this one.
mean old lefty.
mite a made 3404 dude sell the building he just bought.

gweedo.

Lefty must be watching my every move, I play out that scenerio day after day.

Thanks, guys. You’ve all been a heap of help. Lefty, it’s hard to believe you do any business with your attitude. I ask an intelligent question and you assume that I would call you and then bitch about your price. WTF? Are you sober when you write such responses? And what is chaulk? Do you mean caulk? Did you notice the spell checker at the bottom of the page? For someone who professes to be able to find all leaks, I’m surprised you couldn’t find a spell checker that’s staring you in your illiterate face.
And the building I purchased is 26’x80’ with a 600 square foot apartment. Maybe I’ll have to spend $1,000 to fix the roof. Then I’ll have $21,000 in a 2080 square foot building on a large lot. Kinda hard to inspect a roof for leaks in the middle of the dry season, but that’s another story.

You can still check for leaks during the dry season, just get a hose up there if its feasible.

Hi Bruce3404,

The flashing you posted about can be seen when it is dry. Leaks are a different story unless there are stains inside.

Stay with what you said. You said you where going to do the repairs.

You where talking about sloppy flashing work.

You where talking about he removed part of the building to install the sloppy flashing work.

You where talking about caulking every fastener you seen.

I did not say I could find every leak. I said I am a very could troubleshooter.

As for my attitude. This medium does not lend itself to diplomicy. We use as few words as possible to make our point.

I am illiterate. So no offense is taken with that statement. LOL

What you paid for the building does not change what I said.

Personally, I am having a bit of difficulty visualizing this building & would have asked him to post up some photos before I tried to work this out via ‘teh internets’.

I will also suggest you do NOT place any sealant under any screws where the rubber grommet is located unless it’s from a metal roofing supplier; some of the drying agents you will find in your ‘basic’ GeoCel type sealants will wreck the rubber grommet.

Where you have a 1/4" gap, it may be better to have some sort of added flashing in place & span the gap with metal vs. an elastomeric sealant. Again, the wrong product could make your panels rust out prematurely.

So, in conclusion: photos, please.