Metal Roof - Contract \ Materials Question Help Needed

Hi - Looking for some help on this one. We hired a local roofing contractor to re-roof from shingles to metal. We went with a 1" Standing Seam instead of the 5-V Crimp mainly for the looks. We were concerned about the PSF rating on the standing seam system (since we live in South FL) but was told by the salesman that as standard procedure they used adhesive on each panel to increase the PSF rating up to near the 5-V Crimp system. Of course, the adhesive was not part of the contract as noted by the owner when I questioned why it was not being applied. The entire experience has been more than frustrating throughout which I will not get into. The job is now complete more than three months into their 5-8 week timeframe. After reviewing the contract prior to the last 30% payment we noticed that the material in the contract (Gulflok ™ by Gulf Coast Supply & Mfg.) was not used. The material used was manufactured on site by another local metal company (Extreme Metals). The incorrect material approval forms were also submitted to the City when they pulled the permit. I have no problem fulfilling my financial obligation per the contract however since this specified manufacturer in the contract was not used I’d like to know what would be considered a reasonable resolution? The owner is more than difficult with so I have not yet brought this to his attention. Do I need an lawyer?
Thanks in advance.

I’d make darn sure that the glue they used has been tested with the panel and has FM wind uplift testing. They should be able to provide the technical data if it has the testing to meet your local code. If it proves to be equal to the Gulflok product or your local wind codes then all may be good, if not get ready for a roof removal. All systems in your area must, by code, meet the required wind uplift standard or they aren’t allowed.

Thanks for your input. The panels were not glued as promised by the salesman and it was not in the contract so no adhesive was used on the install. The panels can be installed with or without adhesive per the mfg. however it doubles the PSF rating when used, which is what we wanted. I think the main issue here is that the contractor did not use the manufacturer and its product as specified in the contract. What would you say is a reasonable resolution? I want to be fair but this seems like a bait and switch. If you contract to purchase Goodyear tires and the company install Firestone tires and they indicate they are the same or better, is that acceptable? Need to get this behind us a quickly as possible.

Short answer…no. Its not acceptable unless you choose to accept it. You should receive the product contracted for installed to manufacturers specification or better.

If you did not approve a substitution in materials, then the Contractor is at fault - at least in NY, the contracts we use between our clients and contractors do not allow for a contractor to substitute once a material is approved to use on the project. We are required by law to accept “or equals” on projects that utilize public money (housing authorities, local school districts, etc.), but that happens before the contractor even mobilizes on site. I would recommend you call the manufacturer of the product you agreed on and ask what their opinion of the substituted material - if it is equivalent or better and installed per code. Also, if you are suppose to get a warranty for your roof, make sure it is equivalent, in length of time, and who is responsible for repairs, what type of repairs, etc.

Good luck!

He said, she said… and in the end you have what you have because of insufficient due diligence.
Write down the areas of concern and submit it to the contractor
When you get his/her answer(s) you can then proceed to the next phase.
Do not continue until you have their answer(s) in writing, and do not go near a lawyer at this stage.
It is what it is and that is what you need to resolve…leave speculation to those who have nothing better to do.
It’s said an education cost money and you are not going to be the exception
http://www.condorkinetic.com.au/natural%20living-wood%20duck-home.html

I dont see why it matters who bent up the metal.they said they intended to use gulf coast to bend up the metal, but they used extreme metals.
So what!!
It doesnt make any difference who bends up the metal!
Is the guage and paint equivalent?
That is what matters.
The florida state licensed contractor knows
What he needs to do to pass the inspection in his local area.
All jobs go through the inspection process.
No standing seam metal installer would install “glue” unless it was written on the contract.
I have never done it, nor will i ever.
Salesman/ non-installer meets know-it-all.
Oh well, looks like the contractor with his fancy salesman gets what he deserves.
When two fancys meet…

I have never heard of anybody, even in Fla, glueing standing seam. We go to painstaking lengths to make sure the panels are not fixed solid to anything to allow for proper expansion and contraction. Personally I do not see what glueing metal to underlayment would accomplish anyway.

As far as material, where and what company fabricated the pans is not really the issue, the issue is the gague of the metal, and the brand and warranty of the paint of the coil used.

[quote=“MPA, post:8, topic:19435, full:true”]. Personally I do not see what glueing metal to underlayment would accomplish anyway…
[/quote]

He’s talking about gluing the seams before you snaploc them together.
Because some standing seam installers didnt crimp the bottom seam just like we do when we bring two eve metal pieces together.
Because he didnt seam the bottem of the panel over the eve drip lip overhang.
So yeah, those panels can blow off a lot easier than the standard screw through panel
If you dont know what you are doing.
Yes , it is true. A incorrectly installed standing seam roof is going to be much less wind resistant than any screw through panel.
The other side of things??
How long are those washers going to last?

Was on a commercial low energy job about 15 years ago where they were installing 35’ reflective panels with screws on 70x600 building. They claimed it to have a 60 year warranty on the system. Couldn’t stop laughing to myself After hearing that, washers that are supposed to last 60 years plus the expansion and contraction of panels that long screwed directly to steel.