Metal roof 3 4 5

hey,

Anyone know how to do the 345 pattern to make a straight line on metal I cant remember thanks

Josh

I snap a line just inside and along the gutter edge, find the point at which you would like to start, measure right, 3 feet up approximately 4 feet to get a reference point for the adjustments, and measure five on the long side of the triangle. Hold a pencil on the 5 foot mark, and arc it across the substrate. Then do the same on the 4 foot side, and when they cross, there is your line marker. Snap a line, measure to be sure, and youre in business.

[quote=“rooferjosh”]hey,

Anyone know how to do the 345 pattern to make a straight line on metal I cant remember thanks

Josh[/quote]

The two perpendicular lines will be the 3 and 4 measurements, and the 5 measurement will be the angle that creates the 90 degree for the 3 and 4. So, you can either go to the right (or left if you prefer) 3 feet and up 4, or up 3 and over 4. Along the end of the measurement at the eave you arc a 5 foot line and where the measurement going up the slope intersects that line gives you a 90. To be more accurate, you should use multipliers of those numbers, i.e., instead of 3/4/5 you could use 6/8/10, 9/12/15, etc. The longer the lines, the more accurate your 90 will be compared to the eave line.

thanks