Metal Drip Edge Necessary w/Gutter Guards?

Me again…I was reading a thread on the Drip Edge and wanted to know if it is necessary, as I have gutter guards. Also, is it put on all sides of the roof – even the Gable sides?

Right now, my roofing job has been put on temporary hold, as I need my Gas Furnace Flue Vent pipe replaced; it is rusted/has leaked around the vent where it enters the utility room, and a rather large crack was found in the vent just before it branches off to the furnace. I am getting a Stainless Steel Flue Vent this time.

Drip Edge should go on all sides of the roof even the gable sides if you want it done right.

If you don’t use drip edge you should at least over hang your shingles about 1/2" over the eaves and rake. That’s the easy way out.

I would recommend doing it right though.

This is a pretty good site for Construction Details and Definitions:

roofing7.com/roof_details.html

Good luck :slight_smile:

It is common practice in my area to use a drip edge around the entire perimeter of the roof.
It is not like that everywhere in the country, in some regions they do it differently, that does not make it wrong…

In Columbus, OH drip edge and rake edge is code.

I wouldnt do a roof without it!

[quote=“MAYNIAC”]In Columbus, OH drip edge and rake edge is code.

I wouldnt do a roof without it![/quote]

Where can I find out the Maryland Code for Roofing?

Hello Megan… You can inquire w/ your local building code official, usually in the twsp. bldg.

Also …gutter guards are only desinged to keep leaves out.

Er…what is a twsp.bldg. ?

[quote="-Axiom-"]It is common practice in my area to use a drip edge around the entire perimeter of the roof.
It is not like that everywhere in the country, in some regions they do it differently, that does not make it wrong…[/quote]

Ditto Axiom

The reason I use drip on the bottom is to keep the shingle’s from curling, and to hide the ice guard. Depending on the brand of gutter guard, It would do that also.

Drip Edge allows the water to drip clear from the underlying construction of your home. It provides protection from rot. Code or no code your best bet is to use it.

[quote=“Megan”]

Er…what is a twsp.bldg. ?[/quote]

Village Hall, City Hall, County Government Center, etc…

Any of those facilities in your area which has a building code enforcement department.

Ed

Drip Edge Metal- Metal Typically used To help in aid the flow of water from to seeping to the Wood Fascia and Roof decking to prevent rot. Also in older homes typically the roof decking was installed far enough where a gap formed between the roof and Fascia wood. The Drip Edge metal is install prior to the gutter system (this is proper) It has a kick out at the lower edge of the metal to help water flow away from the walls of the exterior. The Shingles are installed over top of the metal edge running up the roof itself. The shingles should Overhang the roof (at least 1" from the Roof framed edge) or to the edge of the Drip Edge metal (flush) to give the proper overhang for the Finished Roofing.(for water Run off) Then the gutter is installed along with gutter guard (if used). Also Take in to consideration if you have Roof Molding detail (fancy wood trim at the Roof edge) that the Drip Edge is installed as not to take away from any details of the molding.

Hope this helps You.
N.Carolina

Drip Edge Metal is required in some areas, you need to check on this. Not all areas require it. Sometimes it a personal preference.

How much should it cost to have a Drip Edge installed on 60’ x 32’ (including soffit overhang) 4/12 pitch?

Megan, You tell that roofer that you want the roof done properly, with all the accessories that should be used… included. here we go… drip edge,Ice & Water shield 2 rows! then 15 lb felt is fine, A good shingle, and the proper cap shilgle over ridge vent. I say that cause guys cheat and use 25 yr three tab shingles to cap a 30 or 40 yr architectural shingles. If you go w/ Gaf/Elk shingles, he should use seal a ridge cap , or for a more defined look use timber tex cap… all these should be included in the Price you mentioned way back when. Like I said before lol 3 hrs down, 2day job, 3hrs back Workmanship warrenty included,lol… If you need to see what a real contract looks like call me, I will be glad to send you something. (570) 872-5505

the cost would be about 40 dollars for the materials .