Melting Roof.....HELP

Hi All

I have a problem with my roof and I wonder if anyone can confirm what I believe.

The roof is a typical 35 degree sloping roof. It has IKO top grade shingles on the top covering as I wanted good quality. The underlay is ALL a thick bitumen based Snow and Ice barrier, not a name brand so I cannot guarentee the quality. I queried this at the time with the roofer as I felt that he shouldn’t cover the whole roof with snow & ice but only the eaves and use normal felt in the middle, but he was quite adamant that the whole roof should be snow and ice.

What has happened. The South facing part of the roof which has the sun on all day has started to melt bitumen which is seeping from under the IKO iles. The roof has lots of leaking streaks of bitumen running about 12 inches each. This happened in the summer when the temperatures were in the early 40 degrees, so very hot.

The roofer is now denying responsibility and blaming the IKO tiles, but I am 90% sure that it is because he used inferior quality snow and ice barrier AND because he covered the whole roof with it.

This is not a cheap and easy solution as far as I can see as the whole South facing roof will need to be replaced .

Any thoughts would be appreciated ?

I have photo’s if that will help.

Photos will help. I will NOT comment on the shingles since i got introuble last time i did. But the roof is done wrong if it has ice and water everywhere. Only way to remove that is to re-deck the entire roof. And that is not a cheap thing.

Ice and water over the entire roof deck cannot do anything but help. And if it did melt or bleed I would think it may bleed out at the eaves but not from under the rows of shingles. I’m not very familiar with the shingles you have in particular but it sound like a shingle issue to me. Ive seen more squares with 100% I&W than I can count and have never heard of it melting. In fact the higher the quality of the I&W the gooier it is to start with. Pics would help alot though.

Thanks guys. I have finally managed to load pics in my gallery. If I have done it right it is at: http://www.roofing.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27285

Wow something is melting and it is coming down the fascia at the eaves. Well a few shingles need to be removed to see whats melting under there. Either way its a material failure because neither product should be doing that. I wouldn’t blame the roofer because even if he only put I&W on the eaves it would be all down the face of the house in no time anyway if thats what is melting. Unless someone squirted tar adhesive or something under the tabs. Ive seen goofier things.

Hi,
Maybe he made his own ice and water sheild. Roof coating/adhesive and felt. This was done before they made ice and water, in problem areas.

That is not the shingles. There is not enough asphalt in shingles to run like that.

I have never seen anything like that. Someone needs to go up there and remove some shhingles and see whats going on. Off the top of my head I would say that either they hand sealed the shingles with too much roofing cement or the ice sheild is melting. Looking like the roofers fault whatever it is…but innocent until proven guilty eh?

Remove aprox a 5’ x 5’ area of shingles and evaluate, is my advice.

The shingles are self adhesive so the roofer never used any sealant whatsoever. You just lay them and the next sunny day they seal. I agree that there is not enough bitumen in the tiles to create this amount of melt so it brings me to the underlay. I have serious doubts about the underlay as it was “no name” brand. I will venture up there tomorrow and lift some to have a nosey.

Im not saying its not the I&W but a few things bother me. One the entire shingle is made from asphalt(bitumen) with a scrim so if I held a heat gun to them they would melt into a bubbling crude. So theres plenty of tar(bitumen) in the shingle to melt. If the mix was wrong (possibly a modified asphalt shingle) and the melting point was to low, wallah oozing tar. Second the underlayment or I&W had to have a name. Ive never seen an actual no brand. If it was meant for roofing it should not melt like that and should be guaranteed by the manufacture.

The roof was fine when the roofer finished. It was only weeks after when the temperatures reached about 42 degrees that it visibly started to melt, so much so that I stood and watched it drip off the eaves. The North facing roof is absolutely fine.

There was no heat gun used at all as the whole thing was self adhesive, so I can only put it down to excessive heat from the sun melting something or other.

I was using the heat gun as an example for that the shingles if exposed to enough heat would turn completely to a liquid except the scrim. So if they are melting from the sun there is enough bitumen as you say to cause the dripping. Either way the shingles or the I&W is melting and it shouldn’t be. Its a manufacture defect if the materials are the correct ones made for roofing.

I think that is what everything points to. I will clamber up tomorrow and lift a few to see. The company responsible for the roof build and ice cover are coming Friday as is the IKO representative, this should be interesting. It would be nice to get something definate in hand for Friday as I can see a bit of a tennis match going to happen. If I could prove to them its either the tiles or the I&S it could shorten the debate.

As far as I can see, the roofer put I&S on correctly, the shingles were put on as per IKO’s recommendated procedure, no heat gun was used and the melting started under the sun. It has to be a defective product and my money is on the I&S :smiley:

http://www.roofing.com/gallery/albums/userpics/27285/normal_close.jpg

http://www.roofing.com/gallery/albums/userpics/27285/normal_roof5.jpg

http://www.roofing.com/gallery/albums/userpics/27285/normal_roof4.jpg

http://www.roofing.com/gallery/albums/userpics/27285/normal_roof1.jpg

Did anyone other than me notice the streaks are ONLY coming out from under the center of the hexes?

No problems (drips / oozing) from any other area…

I don’t see it being the shingles. You need to find out more about the ice and water that was used. As someone stated the roofer may have made it. if not I wqould have the manufacture of the i/w there on Friday as well. That’s going to be expensive. Your going probaly have to have a new roof deck. Not to mention the fascia and gutters etc.

Hi,

It is coming out in different spots. Not just the centers.

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]I have never seen anything like that. Someone needs to go up there and remove some shhingles and see whats going on. Off the top of my head I would say that either they hand sealed the shingles with too much roofing cement or the ice sheild is melting. Looking like the roofers fault whatever it is…but innocent until proven guilty eh?

Remove aprox a 5’ x 5’ area of shingles and evaluate, is my advice.[/quote]

That isn’t the Ice & water shield melting, it is something else.
If it were Ice & water shield it wouldn’t come out on top of the shingles like that.
I like Tar monkey’s assessment about the roofer sealing the tabs with tar.
That is what it looks most like.

good point your probaly right. The i/w wouldn’t come between the shingles.

I’m suspecting they sealed the tabs with some ‘winter grade’ cold process adhesive. I’ve only seen the product used once, messy stuff. Would explain the un-uniform bleeding.

Agreed with the squirrel… there shouldn’t be any location where the I & W runs over the headlap of the shingles, so even if it WAS melting, it more than likely shouldn’t ooze down over the headlap & out on top of the reveal.

If it WAS the I & W, it would have to be bubbling up or blistering so much that it would want to push over the headlaps, sort of like water eventually going over a dam.

I’ll have to go back & look, but it did appear to me that the vast majority of the drooling was in the center of the hexes.