Manufacturer's warranty

I recently had a flat roof installed on my patio. The roofer promised in writing in my contract to supply a workmanship warranty AND a manufacturer’s warranty upon completion of the work. The roof is done and it passed inspection with no problem. He sent me the workmanship warranty but not the manufacturer’s warranty for the materials which I was promised. I have been going around and around with his office for two months. I was finally told by his office manager that it appears the material he used for the flat roof is only warrantied for commercial use. But he put it on my house so they can’t get me a manufacturer’s warranty for the materials. I told her that’s not my problem. It’s their fault they didn’t know this when they installed the roof (or did they?) and now they need to warranty the materials to me in writing. They are no longer answering my messages. I have no intention of letting this go. I need to know what the next step is to get this resolved so I have both warranties as promised in my written contract that he signed. Better Business Bureau?

Roofer should have known the manuf. warranty only covers commercial use. If you take it up with the manuf they will tell you the same thing.

I have no idea if he knew or not. Bottom line is he signed a contract that clearly states he will supply a manufacturer’s warranty in addition to the workmanship warranty. Now I need to know my next step. This is a clear breach of contract. I paid a lot of money for this roof job and was promised both warranty’s. Shouldn’t he now be responsible for that warranty if there is a problem with the materials down the road? I have the workmanship warranty. But that doesn’t cover materials. Under the circumstances I feel he should cover the materials if there is a problem. Again, it’s a breach of contract.

Thank you for the link. If anyone else here has any experience with this and might know if I should contact the Better Business Bureau, or follow another avenue, any imput is greatly appreciated.

Not uncommon for a commercial product not having a residential warranty.
How long has the contractor been in business?
If he’s been around for a long time, ask if he’ll carry the material warranty. Get it in writing and notarized, matching at least what the manufacturer would offer.
He should have known there was no warranty available.

There are really only two options, have the contractor redo the job with different material, or rely on the contractor for warranty. I have this even seen this happen on jobs with architects involved where they spec commercial products and don’t realize they can’t get a warranty until after the job is done.

Honestly a residential flat roof rarely fails due to faulty material. 99.9% of premature residential flat roof failures I have seen were due to workmanship issues.

Hi Patchap, he has been in business for quite a few years. This is exactly what I want him to do under the circumstances. He needs to carry the material warranty. And absolutely, he should have known there was no warranty available. But since his contract states he will provide one, I feel the responsibility now falls on him.

Hi MPA, it is definitely reassuring to hear that a flat roof rarely fails due to faulty material. But I feel he still needs to honor the signed contract, so I have the peace of mind that everything is covered as promised. I never would have let him do the job otherwise. :slight_smile:

Who is the manufacturer of the product? What kind of roof membrane is it?

I would argue that using the improper material would be bad workmanship, and that warranty should cover it.

Still don’t know what the material is but everyone goes to Defcon I, BBB, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Typical reactions to probably not that big of a deal.

Again, who made it and what is it? If it is a “commercial only” warrantable product, what could really go wrong with the material itself? Is this all much ado about nothing?

Would you rather have a “commercial grade” product (assumed to be a better product) with no material warranty but installed by a reputable contractor that will warrant their own work and stand by their warranty OR would you rather have a “residential grade” product (which it is assumed not as good as a “commercial grade” product) and a residential product warranty that will have a dollar value prorated down to near nothing? 10 years after the product is installed it goes bad (unlikely) and you get seven cents on the dollar for the 27.68 square feet of roof product that went bad and you get a check in the mail for $4.62.

Probably much ado about nothing.

I’d press the contractor on the workmanship warranty and not worry about the product warranty. You’ll probably lose the paperwork anyway.

Need the brand and manufacturer of the material. Some brands (I assume this is single ply) do have residential warranties.