Loading Roofs

Hi guys.

Do you load rooftop on a 12/12? What is the steepest pitch you’ll load to rooftop?

The distributor is questioning loading a 12/12.

Thanks.

You may want to pallet stack a few squares on the ridge but loading a steep roof (above 10/12) is a waste. If you load the roof how are you goiing to get shingles to start your bottoms? It will be much more work trying to pull them off the top. DO NOT crack them over the ridge. If you know how to pallet stack then do a few squares to run your tops, other than that just drop the load on the ground IMO.

I normally use a setup guy that just gets and slides shingles to the guys who are nailing them in on 8/12s and up. But I guess its been a long time since I’ve had a 12/12. I like to have everything at the ridge if possible because its easier to take material downhill than it is to haul it up.

Any other opinions?

We almost never put shingles on the roof . just gets in the damn way,and you end up moving them more.

i ground drop anything over a 8/12

Hi,

I load the whole roof no matter what the pitch.

Shingles never got in my way.

These pictures are not the best veiw. It shows you the planks I use to set the shingles on.

It definitly is easier to hand shingles down then up.

home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho … 7052IzkbMe

Multiple 2x4’s with a couple of bundles @ pop on 'em. We did a 16:12 about 1 month ago & it was a crapload easier for the slide down than the haul up (top end was @ around a 3rd story height).

Scatter the 2x’s all over the place with a few bundles each. Don’t start your stacking any lower than 12’ from the eave; that’ll give you the room to work with that you need.

BTW, Lefty - that crane operator must have been chitting his pants over all the wires shown in your photos. If not, he’s either crazy or the coolest cucumber ever!

does anyone have a power ladder ?

Yes we have a “laddervator” and it does come in handy at times. But geez, by the time you load the roof, hook up nail guns, load coil nails (hope they don’t jam) run your hose and set up you laddvator I will have 6+ squares on hand nailing. I lay brackets and planks as I go and not before. Not to mention you’re at risk of an accident. It’s rare but I have seen bundles slide off the roof and hit the ground. To each his own though.

Depends on your roof conditions .

Sometimes i load the ridge and have one slide the shingles down .

Sometimes we load the scaffolding at the eave level .

Sometimes just roof jacks and load them slowly

Hi,

Yes I have a laddervator.

Never had them slide.

On a 12/12 where do you stand to tear off and prep the roof without jacking the roof?

I was thinking about buying one or two of those conveyors farmers and ranchers use for stacking hay.

Hi Sam from Seattle,

Are you mechanically inclined?

If so there is a guy on eBay that sells a homemade laddervator. It is easy to make if you are mechanically inclined.

I would not buy his. There are a few things on his that need beefing up.

Do a search on eBay. I will later tonight.

Yes somewhat mechanically inclined. I don’t have know how to weld metal but that would be a handy roof loading tool. I do know how to weld with my heat welder and have made lead flashings (soldering). Just a matter of practice. I’m checking out ebay right now.

Hi Sam from Seattle,

Here you go.

cgi.ebay.com/Roofing-Hoist-Trans … dZViewItem

That will save some money! That thing is nice. I like tools specific to roofing. There’s this one called a roof buggy I think. I’ll check and make sure. I want one.

I want this.
equipter.com/rb4000_photos.html

Hi,

The Roofer’s Buggy is a nice piece of equipment. Costs over $30,000.

I think they are closer to 40k. If dumping fees cost me avg. 400 per job then I would say I would see a return on this within 4 or 5 years or about 200 jobs. Kinda pulling numbers out my ars.

Did a 67sq 12/12 with my father a few years ago which the father and son framing crew loaded. They built plywood 2x4 re-inforced platforms at the peak were they put all the roofing materials, shingles, starters, ridge, ice and water, felt, etc. it was really nice until it came down to tear down the platforms, they were nailed in pretty well.

My crew is spoiled as over 95% of roofs are loaded with boom trucks. If the roof is several layers thick and re-decking is needed more then likely they’ll go on the ground. Even on 8’s, 9’s, and 10’s, the shingles are boomed onto the roof.

In the best case situtation the roof is tore off, dried in, cleaned up and then the shingles are boomed onto the roof and scattered out either on boards on on nails. This way you put them down once only to be opened and distributed amoungs the shingle installers.

When roof top loaded I like to stick to no more than four layers high.