Linear foot to square foot

Hello guys.

Two square feet equals how many linear feet ???.

Thanks

Most roofers only deal in square feet. Atleast all the ones i know of. Atleast when measuring a roof. Linear is used when replacing wood normally 1x materials.

A little more than a pound of feathers. :?

[quote=“cantave”]Hello guys.

Two square feet equals how many linear feet ???.

Thanks[/quote]

It does not work like that. Square feet defines area and lineal feet defines distance. Afterall, two square feet of sewing thread could equal hundreds of lineal feet when laid out. Now, if you are talking about wood, you need to specify lineal feet of 2x6, 2x8, etc., or just use board feet.

ex. Two board foot of 1x12 pine = 2 lineal ft. of 1x12 pine

lin·e·ar /ˈlɪniər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lin-ee-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. of, consisting of, or using lines: linear design.
**2. pertaining to or represented by lines: linear dimensions. **
3. extended or arranged in a line: a linear series.
4. involving measurement in one dimension only; pertaining to length: linear measure.
5. of or pertaining to the characteristics of a work of art in which forms and rhythms are defined chiefly in terms of line.
6. having the form of or resembling a line: linear nebulae.
7. Mathematics. a. consisting of, involving, or describable by terms of the first degree.
b. having the same effect on a sum as on each of the summands: a linear operation.

1. Electronics. delivering an output that is directly proportional to the input: a linear circuit; a linear amplifier.
  2. threadlike; narrow and elongated: a linear leaf.

[Origin: 1635–45; < L līneāris of, belonging to lines. See line1, -ar1]

That would be correct if it is true 1 x 12; however, if it is milled down that equation changes.

That is true since a 1 by is not a true a 1 by.

arrrrgghhh, I knew some smart azz would say that! :smiley:

FYI, I always round UP.

:smiley: