Leaking Problem

Recently I have noticed during a hard rain, two separate leaks inside my house. Both seem to be following my vent pipe down from the roof. I checked up there and the only thing that looks wrong is my boots(about 12 years old) are cracked where they meet the vent. I’ll try to enclose some pictures, but could this be my problem and if so, would roofers choice fix my problem or do I need to replace the boot? If replacing is necessary, can I do it or should a pro? Thanks so much for helping me,

Carl Auberger

Hi,

If you replace the pipe collar, it is a perament repair. Everything else is temporary.

You will want to replace the pipe boot with a new pipe boot. Yes, you can do it yourself if you are something of a handyman. You will need some nails, the new pipe boots, and a nail-bar/pry-bar/wonder-bar or whatever they call it in your part of the country. As a precaution, make sure you do the work when the local hardware/roofing-supply company is open, just in case you damage the shingles and need to buy a bundle.

If you need to know how to make the repairs, let us know and I’m sure one of us will give you a step-by-step help.

Thanks for the reply. Good idea about the hardware store being open, in fact I may have a bundle sitting in the garage.

WHen you do this make sure you buy a bundle of shingles and do not reuse the old ones you remove, they will not reseal and you might have a leak down the road. For the ones you dont replace use a small amount of sealant to seal them back down. If you have any other questions drop us a line. Good luck with ur repair.

i would go back with a lead boot, instead of the rubber collar boot.
they last alot longer. atleast in florida.

gweedo.

Yes gweedo, lead or copper would be the best way to go, but I figure for a homeowner the Oatey’s are probably the easiest and best thing for them to use.

Don’t mind the following numbers guys, I’m also using this post for a upcoming FFL draft order for a league where I’m the commissioner.

4, 9, 2, 6, 1, 8, 7, 10, 3, 5

Hope nobody minds.