Lead Flashing: Patination Oil, Linseed Oil, or

Did lead counter flashing on a very irregular chimney and to keep the white oxide from staining, it is common to use patination oil - at least in the UK. I guess it’s not used in the US - all sources of it on eBay are from the UK.

So there must be a substitute product. If I had to guess, I’d say linseed oil.

Advice?

NOTE: I’d like to make it white. Paint will get pushed off by the oxide formation. However linseed oil can be pigmented so maybe …

Work on old houses all the time where the lead counters are painted with tinners paint that is lynseed oil based. Hard to find actual lynseed oil based tinners paint anymore because of the voc compliance. We used Calbar made in Philly.

If you check out their website there tin-o-lin product is lynseed based that can be used as 1 coat finish for lead.

http://www.calbarinc.com/product_description13.html

I’m on the learning curve with lead flashing.

I get the impression that planation oil is used on new lead which has not yet formed the dark gray oxide layer and that once that has happened, there is no need for planation oil.

The lead sheet roll I’m working with is at least 70 years old - so it is nice and dark.

So I may not need PO.

However I would like it to be white to match the other flashing on the house.

I suspect boiled linseed oil with white pigment may be the stuff to use.

If you have a roll of pre 1945 lead sell it on eBay. Lead manafactured before atomic testing is worth a ton and highly sought after in scientific fields.

MPA, that’s a tough one. This lead is either from the shielding when my chiropractor uncle insallaled his X-ray machine which would have been around 1950 or when my grandfather built he house during The Depression. It turns out testing lead takes lots of time. So the 20# I have is not large enough to be of any great interest. I will look into it. $25 a pound would be a nice windfall!