Laying felt

When putting down the felt can it be seamed if the piece is not long enough or does it have to be one piece from edge to edge

Just overlap it 6" to 12" and keep the continuation of the roll straight.

One easy way to get the felt paper straight is to nail or staple the center of the one end of the roll and then kick out about 10-15 feet or so. Then grab the roll and adjust it up, (Towards the Ridge), or down, (Towards the Gutter/Eave Edge). When it is even on the white line for a 2" overlap real nice and straight, then nail or staple it in place in a zig zag pattern, plus add nails at the bottom edge overlap.

Ed

ed, you’re giving away all of our secrets!!

pretty soon all the homeowner has to do is get on this site, read a little, and they can put their own roofs on?!?!

:slight_smile:

15 foot roll on a 10 foot roof will eliminate the DIY competition pretty fast.

Just Kidding.

If they are of the mind to do it themselves, at least they should do it right.

The body aches and pains will keep them from doing it again.

Ed

new roofs are easier to tear off.

i would just add .
if the roof slope is small, give it a 2’ lap.

gweedo

[quote=“G-Tape”]ed, you’re giving away all of our secrets!!

pretty soon all the homeowner has to do is get on this site, read a little, and they can put their own roofs on?!?!

:)[/quote]

Then again, they could always just read the package wrapper…

I will give another secret away. when felting its better to use buttons “plastic cap nails” rather than regular roofing nails. staples suck period. also somtimes its better to felt top down then flip your laps as you go down, that way your not walking on it.

Hello,

I sent one guy to the truck to look for the felt stretcher when we were about 5feet short. :mrgreen:
Crew and I had a good laugh for about 15 minutes.

Ed and all the other guys are right on as usual.

Keith