Last of the sentinal shingles

Looks like the GAF’s sentinal shingles are dwindling and hard to find. ABC is out of most colors and Beacon is running slim. Sovreign is coming in, but with the cost, most customers will upgrade to the laminate shingle. I guess some Bean-counter, whose never fastened a shingle in his life, decided that getting rid of the 20yr shingle was a good thing for GAF. I guess the pink shirt, wearin’ bean-counter, just convinced me to buy my 20’s from Tamko, OC…

They have all been thinking about it for years. CT has tried a couple of times but nobody followed, if GAF does it now I think others will follow. Its fine by me Insurance has to pay for the upgrade then.

Hi,

Have not used a 20 year shingle in 30 years.

www.HolencikRoofing.com

I think that te whole idea of 20 yr. vs. 30 yr. vs. 40 & 50 yr. shingles is downright hilarious. The so-called 30 yr. three tab shingle is really nothing but a 15 yr. shingle doubled up into the 30 yr. shingle without any gecnological advancements whatsoever.

They all were 15 yr. shingles warrantied way back when and then they upgraded to a 20 yr. shingle and then a few years later were upgraded to 25 yrs. then 30 yrs.

I would never ever installa 30 yr or 25 yr shingle as they are almost as thin as a newspaper or paper thin.

Funny thing is, Texas has to be the 20yr shingle capitol of the world. There are subdivisions of 300k dollar homes, cookie-cut with 20yr shingles. Pile that with the mobile home hall of fame and you put alot of people in an upgrade situation.

Our running joke has been that if GAF ever quit making golden cedar, Cut-n-shoot Texas wouldn’t know what to pick…

they dont even sell 20 year shingles in NY.

I can’t imagine using a 20-year 3-tab on a replacement.
However, I must admit I’ll ask for them on a simple repair. OK I’ll admit it, I’m a tramp!
Matt

I have not seen a 20 year shingle other than iko in years. Never would use them to begin with at this point anyway.

we used to use 15 and 20 year shingles back in the eighties. the builders loved them. Cant get them at all now.

Im so glad that the builders around here used 20 yrs. up until about 5 years ago. That helps drive the replacement business now.

Used to be we put on maybe 10 arch. roofs a year. The rest were all 200 year 3-tab. Now we might do 4-5 3-tab jobs a year. They are XT25’s.

The manufactors want to get rid of them cause ther eis not much margin there.

[quote=“THE OUTLAW ROOFER”]Im so glad that the builders around here used 20 yrs. up until about 5 years ago. That helps drive the replacement business now.

Used to be we put on maybe 10 arch. roofs a year. The rest were all 200 year 3-tab. Now we might do 4-5 3-tab jobs a year. They are XT25’s.

The manufactors want to get rid of them cause ther eis not much margin there.[/quote]

Wow, 200 year 3 tab? How much does that run?

:slight_smile:

Typo, I know, Im kidding…